Anyone familiar with 69 Camaros?

Luxeous

From the outside it looks like a very clean car. I'm not keen on market value for stock restos but it sure looks like a reasonable price.

Is it an original CA car has it lived somewhere else in the country? Bring a small magnet with you and see if it snaps along the lower panels (rear of the front tires, front and rear of the rear tires, below the door rockers, etc). That will tell you if it's clean metal or 50lbs of bondo hiding under there.

I'm about to fly up and check this one out. Any thoughts on what I should be looking for or how much it's worth?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5442343344.html

I'd be very curious to hear the explanation as to why the horn and radio don't work. I'm assuming they hacked and spliced in the wiring harness (which for me would be a big red flag, but i'm an asshole perfectionist) you can buy them as complete kits now days, so did they just try and stuff the POS motor in it and call it a day? So i'm assuming it wasn't done by a shop, but by an individual? Assuming the previous owner, etc. etc. Just things to consider.

Don't get me wrong, a clean looking car. But bring a small retractable mirror and go over the car under and inside the engine bay with a fine tooth comb.

On a side note, i'm not sure i'd pay that much for a non-numbers matching car, but it's your call. Especially if the fender badges (while cute to add 427's) don't line up well, which says sloppy to me, and if they didn't care that much about the exterior fit and finish, what's going on where you can't see? Also I don't think the hood is stock, i'm fairly certain the cowl induction badge is from a Chevelle. Just other little touches that rub me the wrong way on this one.

Had him send me a walkaround video, check this out:

He has some paperwork from the previous owner - guy owned a shop and did all the work there. Still trying to get all the details on that.

from what I decoded with the cowl tag it used to be a red 350 ss with no stripes, black interior. That kind of rubbed me the wrong way as I figured the paint was at least the original color.

I am with you on the numbers matching but its super hard with these cars as they are not really great drivers without a new engine / 6spd / suspension and brakes.

Had him send me a walkaround video, check this out:

He has some paperwork from the previous owner - guy owned a shop and did all the work there. Still trying to get all the details on that.

from what I decoded with the cowl tag it used to be a red 350 ss with no stripes, black interior. That kind of rubbed me the wrong way as I figured the paint was at least the original color.

I am with you on the numbers matching but its super hard with these cars as they are not really great drivers without a new engine / 6spd / suspension and brakes.

Yeah, the video is fine, just kind of hard to see the details, but that's to be expected. Sounds fine, and overall looks quite clean.

The respray and major changes would make me quite uncomfortable if he didn't disclose a wreck. I know guys like to change color, but that's a lot of work, and unless you already have a ton of body work on the docket, it isn't usually worth it (in my opinion).

On top of if he owned the shop, a wrecked car could be hidden quite easily from potential buyers. Not saying he doesn't do good work, but i'm not a trusting person, especially when it comes to vehicles.

I'm assuming he doesn't have the protecto plate or any other original paperwork?

Yeah, they drive like pigs unless you get an AM chassis and disc brakes under it. If you can talk him down in price you'd probably have a decent ride for a while. But hardly an investment. I'd say 20-25k would be appropriate (i'm Dutch heritage, so we are really cheap).

Just my two cents, it's been a while since I had my 67, so i'm a bit "rusty" pardon the pun.

The respray and major changes would make me quite uncomfortable if he didn't disclose a wreck. I know guys like to change color, but that's a lot of work, and unless you already have a ton of body work on the docket, it isn't usually worth it (in my opinion).

:iamwithstupid:

Something doesn't add up.

I have an original 69 Z28 DZ302 all numbers matching if you are looking to buy one that is more expensive

Thats the one I would want. Wish I could afford one.

I didn't end up flying up there -just felt kinda meh after finding out it had been repainted a different color. The 427 not being stock was ok but not really into it being a completely different paint color.

Depending on your reasons for buying a 69 Camaro, I can tell you that I couldn't wait to get rid of mine. They drive terrible. I even upgraded the entire suspension, added vintage air...etc. I had a beautiful 69 RS. It was great to look at in my garage. Hated driving it in there is always some sort of squeak or rattle. Constantly chasing down issues. While I miss looking at it, I don't miss owning it.