Porsche Worse Than Ferrari

szabo_martin

Porsche is getting brutal with the elitism. I put a deposit on a GT3RS 18 months ago and last month refunded the deposit saying they won't make enough to get to mine. Then the same with the 911R. They are all going to 918 owners who are flipping them at 100% profit... had I known this you could pay off your 918 flipping all of Porsches special offer cars. I get supply and demand, and loyalty to your high dollar customers.... but they are keeping drivers and enthusiast out of the game. GT3RS are flooding the market at 380-400K being picked up by investors. Anyways.. is what it is I guess..

I had heard that porsche VIP deal was only if you didnt flip the cars is that not true?

*edit* to clarify i thought if you flipped cars you got "kicked out" of the VIP program

Porsche is getting brutal with the elitism. I put a deposit on a GT3RS 18 months ago and last month refunded the deposit saying they won't make enough to get to mine. Then the same with the 911R. They are all going to 918 owners who are flipping them at 100% profit... had I known this you could pay off your 918 flipping all of Porsches special offer cars. I get supply and demand, and loyalty to your high dollar customers.... but they are keeping drivers and enthusiast out of the game. GT3RS are flooding the market at 380-400K being picked up by investors. Anyways.. is what it is I guess..

I had heard that porsche VIP deal was only if you didnt flip the cars is that not true?

*edit* to clarify i thought if you flipped cars you got "kicked out" of the VIP program

I heard from a 918 owner the reason for the VIP program was to move $950k product. They sold a lot of product in the US (the only place where this was offered.). Also Saleenfan is right. It Depended on how long you kept the 918, the longer you kept it the longer you get VIP program.

I heard from a 918 owner the reason for the VIP program was to move $950k product. They sold a lot of product in the US (the only place where this was offered.). Also Saleenfan is right. It Depended on how long you kept the 918, the longer you kept it the longer you get VIP program.

I can confirm this, from two other 918 VIPs that I know. Those same 918 VIPs have both been told that there are more 991 RS' coming, FWIW.

The Porsche VIP program which some for some reason only operates in the US market is a fantastic and well thought through solution to counter the flipping.

They offer you a car before the general public, you say yes, you buy the car and the longer you keep it the longer you are in the program. Simple and effective.

Those that flipped the 918 or any other of the special production cars are no longer eligible to be in the program.

Great way to stay in the market and great way to keep in touch with the hardcore VIP fans.

VIP program is a license to print money for the VIPs.

They get first option on any limited production car before other buyers. Obviously allocation for GT cars was absorbed by VIPs first.

They are not supposed to flip the limited production cars but obviously many were bought to be resold. Porsche requires they not resell for 6 months but there are several creative ways around it.

As Cappy correctly stated - as soon as you sell the 918 you are no longer a VIP. Ownership is required to maintain VIP status.

It might be a well thought out solution for one aspect of their business but it really screwed up the allocations for the rest of us, and there are plenty of VIPs who ordered GT3RS, GT3 and GT4 who don't care at all about the car except to flip for profit. And that process skewed the "real" demand and made it more challenging for Porsche to understand how many buyers they really had. They figured it out but it took a little longer.

I didn't realize they monitored you selling them (like Ferrari) since i know a few 918 owners who flipped their GT3Rs and still got offered the 911r

I don't think they have any manpower monitoring flippers. Those were the stated rules but there are a TON of GT cars being flipped inside the 6 months. Some more subtly than others. I guess it's a gamble cause if Porsche "catches" them at it - in theory they'd be "out". But I doubt seriously Porsche is spending time looking for infractions.

Car flippers are ruining the automobile market as a whole, IMO.

I'd say it's the buyers. If you pay flippers prices it's your fault. You create a market as a buyer someone will fill it.

No point allocating resources scouring the marketplaces for cars as some cars can be sold privately behind closed doors - a few P1s have been sold this way.

But Porsche know when it comes to servicing the car then they will know so that will take a time to filter through.

Obviously vins are monitored: They know the VIN was provided to Mr Jones and when the servicing is completed the technician records what he did and on what VIN

Should Mr Jones not book that car in for a service then there is the first flag and that can be all handled by simple database administration.

Yeah probably at the service stage. I was pissed they pulled my allocation then a buddy with a 918 was bragging he sold his allocation for 100K. Our dealer buddy just said I don't wanna know about it

I'd say it's the buyers. If you pay flippers prices it's your fault. You create a market as a buyer someone will fill it.
Agree but as long as Porsche implies that a car will be limited and is "sold out" - then the folks who REALLY want them (and can afford to do so) will pay the flipper.

Porsche creates the issue by limiting production which I'm all for if it keeps values up - BUT - by selling to VIP's who simply want the chance to profit.

You can bet that the VIN info is easily obtained by Porsche if they wanna chase it. They could put a stop to flippers by monitoring their data base.

But they supposedly "frown" upon dealers charging over MSRP and there are lots of examples of dealers charging $10-20K over MSRP for GT4's, and I've read about GT3RS being offered at $50-75K over MSRP by a dealer! Porsche chooses to turn their back to it rather than shut it down.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the dealer selling over MSRP. If supply/demand dictates it - then get what the market will bear. I certainly benefit if they discount to under MSRP so it should go both ways.

BUT what I object to is Porsche "saying" they don't want dealers "gouging" the market - but doing absolutely nothing to stop it. And there are instances of dealers taking a deposit for GT4 at MSRP and then changing their mind and saying $10K over or it goes to the next guy who WILL pay $10K over. That is not acceptable (in my book) and shows lack of ethics. Porsche could control it but they choose not to.

Oh god everyone... Cake is writing essays again. On behalf of all us here at LP we are sorry that you will soon be suffering from some form of RSI.

Agree but as long as Porsche implies that a car will be limited and is "sold out" - then the folks who REALLY want them (and can afford to do so) will pay the flipper.

Porsche creates the issue by limiting production which I'm all for if it keeps values up - BUT - by selling to VIP's who simply want the chance to profit.

You can bet that the VIN info is easily obtained by Porsche if they wanna chase it. They could put a stop to flippers by monitoring their data base.

But they supposedly "frown" upon dealers charging over MSRP and there are lots of examples of dealers charging $10-20K over MSRP for GT4's, and I've read about GT3RS being offered at $50-75K over MSRP by a dealer! Porsche chooses to turn their back to it rather than shut it down.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the dealer selling over MSRP. If supply/demand dictates it - then get what the market will bear. I certainly benefit if they discount to under MSRP so it should go both ways.

BUT what I object to is Porsche "saying" they don't want dealers "gouging" the market - but doing absolutely nothing to stop it. And there are instances of dealers taking a deposit for GT4 at MSRP and then changing their mind and saying $10K over or it goes to the next guy who WILL pay $10K over. That is not acceptable (in my book) and shows lack of ethics. Porsche could control it but they choose not to.

It's been a trend since the Internet age. Since you can find the invoice price and dealer hold backs etc on a car buyers had an upper hand. Then to help the dealers the factory's started limiting production so the dealers could make a buck. It's industry wide on in demand segments. Even ford does it w the gt350 and raptor etc.

I dunno why you guys think the VIP program isn't in the UK...it is.

Oh god everyone... Cake is writing essays again. On behalf of all us here at LP we are sorry that you will soon be suffering from some form of RSI.
:thefinger: and :wub:

This is the price you pay for dealing with the Cult of Porsche. The kool-aid ain't cheap.

Interesting topic.

Got a call from my local porsche dealer that they have a few GT4s in stock.

Then I find out, they are in consignment for 918 owners. Each had $25k markup..

Interesting topic.

Got a call from my local porsche dealer that they have a few GT4s in stock.

Then I find out, they are in consignment for 918 owners. Each had $25k markup..

See post above referencing VIP program: "license to print money"

See post above referencing VIP program: "license to print money"

Makes sense now. i wondered how the dealers were selling brand new GT4 from owners that they sold the cars to! Damn!