Alex Zanardi

capt_chaos

After his horrific accident in 2001 he won a gold medal in the paralympics in London 2012 hand cycling time trial. He defended that title and won his second gold medal today..

What an inspiration for battling determined spirit. He will be 50 next month.

The guy is a seriously fearless competitor. I have watched several of those races, as they often have them in conjunction with the criterium races I do. That is some intense stuff. The guy is inspirational, as I cannot imagine I would have the fortitude to do what he has done should I lose the use of my legs. Bravo.

Was a huge Zanardi fan back in his Champ Car days, he added so much color and personality to the sport. Truly an inspirational guy.

Me too. One of a kind. Laguna Seca 96 one the greatest driving moves of all time.

He has been in the Ironman world championships in Kona the past 2 years as well. Truly an inspiration.

If anyone is interested in the struggle of CART/IndyCar safety there is a pretty decent book. Rapid Response: My Inside Story as a Motor Racing Life-Saver by Dr. Stephen Olvey. Zanardi's story is in there detailing the accident and the decisions that saved his life.