Engagement ring

keevo54

I really don't get the fascination with shiny stones, for some weird reason (since diamonds are girl's best friend LOL) my wife feels the same so it's impossible to buy for her.

IMO let her chose, girls say they like surprises but they really don't :icon_mrgreen:

The fantasy (if it's even realistic) is a woman who doesn't demand/lust for stones but can appreciate/love them if given to her.

The fantasy (if it's even realistic) is a woman who doesn't demand/lust for stones but can appreciate/love them if given to her.

The fantasy is a woman who doesn't demand/lust for stones and doesn't care how many sports cars you buy :icon_mrgreen:

I am lucky because that's reality for me.

The fantasy is a woman who doesn't demand/lust for stones and doesn't care how many sports cars you buy :icon_mrgreen:

I am lucky because that's reality for me.

:icon_pray:

I have a jewelry store in the Diamond District if you're ever in town and want to look around.

However, if you're looking for advise on sensible shopping, dont waste your money on the big name brands. you can get the same quality, or even better for less cost.

Some people will say you must get it GIA certified. I guess i am biased towards this because I am in the business (its like buying a car without a PPI or carfax). but if you're buying from a reputable shop then you're ok if it doesnt have a certificate. its more of a piece of mind thing.

how do you know what your SO wants? well basic social engineering can tell you this. i know people that stumble across their SO's pintrest boards that are full of wedding and engagement stuff. Asking her friends/sister/cousins is also a great idea...you'll get the most accurate from there. You'd be surprised how much information you can get if you just happen to WALK by a jeweler with engagement rings in the showcase.

this is my personal preference - DONT get a halo in the setting (unless she wants it). i feel like the halo is the poor mans way of making a small stone look bigger. Spent the money on a stone! you can get a great quality 2ct AND a gold band (covered in diamonds as well) for 20-25k. I sell them all the time. Dont waste your time with a platinum setting unless you or her REALLY want platinum. most people wont tell the difference.

Another thing - think about the future. if you're SO is like my wife, she's already planning her upgrade. Dont start her with a 5ct because then you're going to have to go bigger! 2-3ct is more than acceptable for a starter stone.

So here's another question that I haven't had a chance to ask directly - Can I buy the ring from, say, Cartier and the diamond separately? Or is that really frowned upon?

I realize I could easily have the setting replicated, but from what I've seen, this is where price between the 'brands' and the independents doesn't vary that much, so my thought is why stray from what I know she likes.

They all want something from Tiffany. They will cry and run away if you bust out a Blue Nile box.
not ALL of us ^

not ALL of us ^

I agree, myself and the kids wanted to surprise my wife for her birthday, organised a surprise private viewing at Tiffany's for her, they lined up a lot of jewelry, when she came she didn't want anything.

I was so embarrassed LOL, she's too humble and also not a huge fan of jewlery, most of the things I bought for her she doesn't wear so I stopped doing it.

these guys are awesome, jamesallen.com just did a new one for my wife not too long ago with them.... they overnighted me stones to review then custom did the ring with 3D renders, etc...

I also used JamesAllen, great experience! They have great customer support and I definitely got a lot more for my money using them instead of a local jeweler. When researching the alternatives I also found that most people liked the quality of JamesAllen over BlueNile. I continued to use them for my wedding bands.

• 5 months later...

So I'm planning to buy one this year, and having no idea what she liked, I decided I'd take her to the local Jared to get some ideas. The salesperson was initially fantastic but towards the end she was trying to get me to buy the damn thing right there in front of my gf, telling me the deal wouldn't last. I politely said I would take my chances but who would buy an engagement ring right in front of their SO?? My gf even had to tell the lady that she didn't want me buying it right now either. Maybe this is becoming more popular as there were other couples there looking as well but I was still dumbfounded. I'll have to check out these other suggested places. Anyone on here in the diamond biz wants to help, shoot me a PM. Not a huge rush, but definitely in the next 6 months.

So I'm planning to buy one this year, and having no idea what she liked, I decided I'd take her to the local Jared to get some ideas. The salesperson was initially fantastic but towards the end she was trying to get me to buy the damn thing right there in front of my gf, telling me the deal wouldn't last. I politely said I would take my chances but who would buy an engagement ring right in front of their SO?? My gf even had to tell the lady that she didn't want me buying it right now either. Maybe this is becoming more popular as there were other couples there looking as well but I was still dumbfounded. I'll have to check out these other suggested places. Anyone on here in the diamond biz wants to help, shoot me a PM. Not a huge rush, but definitely in the next 6 months.

Glad to hear things are going well man! :icon_super: I know some friends that hated the process but I had a lot of fun with the surprise of picking the ring, planning the time and logistics to propose, etc. It'll be the most memorable surprise of her life so its well worth the planning IMO. :)

Wayne & Gidi for sure. Both definitely worth talking to. RUN from any retail stores.

Not related to the ring but...

When my son inlaw was getting set to propose to my daughter, he invited me out to lunch.

He mentioned his plans and asked for my blessing.

He's a wonderful young man and I was pleased to give him a positive response. .

While it is a little old fashioned, it is a classy thing to do.

Best of luck.

When my son inlaw was getting set to propose to my daughter, he invited me out to lunch.

Best of luck.

:icon_thumleft:

Best of luck.

That is awesome. I did something very similar when I proposed.

My Wife's Father died when she was 16, so I never got to meet him. However she has 3 much older brothers, with the closest one in age being 9 years older than her, and the oldest one being 14.

As they were/are very protective of her, before I proposed, I went to each of them individually and told them out of respect for their Father not being around, I would like their blessing to marry their little Sister. All 3 were taken aback and seemed unbelievably grateful that I did so. I am fortunate that (having been dating her for many years prior), they all gave me positive responses as well. :)

Married 08/31/2014.

Best of luck.

I did the same thing with my father in law. If you're asking, you know the answer in advance, but the gesture is appreciated.

I did the same thing with my father in law. If you're asking, you know the answer in advance, but the gesture is appreciated.

:iamwithstupid: