Another Richard Hammond crash

capt_chaos

The scary thing is that it seems that most electric cars involved in big accidents tend to burst into flames.

I was thinking that, not as if they have fuel lines to rupture is it?

Fixed it for you :icon_thumleft:

I know you love electric cars but this is a big concern for me, most electric cars when involved in accidents spontaneously combust, at least the ones I watched.

most electric cars when involved in accidents spontaneously combust

That's just plain wrong mate. A few do, not most.

Statistics a few years back showed 1 fire for every 120 million miles for electric cars.

For ICE cars it's 1 fire for every 20 million miles, so they are 6 times more likely to catch fire. In the US alone there's about 17 car fires an hour.

The difference is that EVERY Tesla catching fire gets in the news. No one writes about a burning 2016 BMW 528i.

Statistics a few years back showed 1 fire for every 120 million miles for electric cars.

For ICE cars it's 1 fire for every 20 million miles, so they are 6 times more likely to catch fire. In the US alone there's about 17 car fires an hour.

The difference is that EVERY Tesla catching fire gets in the news. No one writes about a burning 2016 BMW 528i.

Agreed. You just hear about it in the news all the time because most outlets if you haven't noticed have a thing against Tesla. You'll never see an article about a Nissan Leaf catching on fire. Don't forget, these articles are just a small small fraction of all electric cars involved in an accident.

Id imagine the lack of sound really messes with the preception of speed and the general weight of the cars is "hidden " to an extent by the power. You've got 4000+ lbs cars making ENORMOUS amounts of torque and at the end limited by the rubber.

Fair enough, I will just take my chances in an ICE :icon_mrgreen:

Fair enough, I will just take my chances in an ICE :icon_mrgreen:

I'll second that, plus raise you removing the airbags in exchange for a 6 point harness. :eusa_dance: