SLR Owners: Happy with your SLR? Prices too good to be true?

TITANIUM 6.0

The prices on these cars have plumetted to the point that you can buy sub 4k mile cars for high $190s to low $200s which puts them in the price range of Lambo 560-4s and other cars. Given the original MSRPs, on the surface it sounds like some great deals!!

However, the resale prices are just reflective of demand. So why are people clammering for these cars and these prices????

Is there something I don't know about them? Is reliability terrible? I know service costs are very high and it's difficult to do anything on these cars yourself. What am I missing?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its just typical Mercedes depreciation. The SLR avoided it for a while, but with these prices they fell like the 65 series cars!

Ahhhh....I think I just determined why these prices are dropping out of control...All the warranty periods are expiring, and unlike the SL65s/55s (AMG cars) that you can purchase CPO from a Mercedes dealer, Mercedes will not CPO this car!

To make matters worse, it was easy to spark plug, oil changes (basic service) by myself on my past Porsches/Lambos, etc, but I found out from a Merc service tech that any service requires extensive labor and hence ridiculous prices (ie $10k for changing spark plugs)

That will definitely keep people away from buying these cars because at a $200k purchase price, 5% of the cost of the car to change the plugs does seem quite silly.

Hmmmm.. Decisions, decisions.

I think its just typical Mercedes depreciation. The SLR avoided it for a while, but with these prices they fell like the 65 series cars!

I think you guys are thinking too local. US SLR and Carrera GTs kept their figures high (imo) because for awhile the EUR and the GBP meant they were attractive purchases to export back to Euro/UK shores.

At one point Classic Driver.com was overrun with US cars with US reflectors etc. Where did Allan's car end up?

Now the Dollar has strengthened compared to the slumps of GBP and weakened EUR along with as mentioned the warranty ending. Merc are not honouring the SLR because of the end of the partnership with McLaren.

That said, still an amazing car.

Ahhhh....I think I just determined why these prices are dropping out of control...All the warranty periods are expiring, and unlike the SL65s/55s (AMG cars) that you can purchase CPO from a Mercedes dealer, Mercedes will not CPO this car!

To make matters worse, it was easy to spark plug, oil changes (basic service) by myself on my past Porsches/Lambos, etc, but I found out from a Merc service tech that any service requires extensive labor and hence ridiculous prices (ie $10k for changing spark plugs)

That will definitely keep people away from buying these cars because at a $200k purchase price, 5% of the cost of the car to change the plugs does seem quite silly.

Hmmmm.. Decisions, decisions.

Why would the service be so expensive? Isn't the motor very similar to the 55? It can't possibly be that special.

Why would the service be so expensive? Isn't the motor very similar to the 55? It can't possibly be that special.

Thought the SLR requires special ramps to lift it?

I know that you don't really need to lift a car to do sparks and oil but...

Maybe for a full ignition coil pack but not spark plugs lol

Guest skokos
The prices on these cars have plumetted to the point that you can buy sub 4k mile cars for high $190s to low $200s which puts them in the price range of Lambo 560-4s and other cars.

Will you post some links? I havent seen anything sub 4k mile range for less then $200k

Thought the SLR requires special ramps to lift it?

From working at FJ Mercedes in Newport, yes the SLR's do require special attachments to the service lifts in order to raise them up. They also must be worked on by a SLR certified tech, so your selection of dealers being able to service your new SLR is now limited further. I know alot of the cost to the service bill is just labor. I beleive an oil change requires the entire carbon fiber undercarriage cover to be removed, as well as any other undercarriage repair for that matter. However it wouldnt surprise me if Merc did indeed increase to cost of the SLR parts just because they could.

Hey Rob...heres one that's close and could probably be bought for $200k?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/McLaren-SLR...17%7C240%3A1318

Yes, I triple checked on all minor/major services.

To change spark plugs on the car you must remove the entire engine! Hence the $10k charge

To do an oil change and bunch of stuff needs to come off the car. Hence the $5k charge.

Recommend spark plugs every 3-4 years, regardless of mileage.

I realize that exotic cars come with high maintenance/service costs, but what a poor design and a lot of expense to do basic/routine maintenance.

That's why I inquired about purchasing one on CPO, and found out Mercedes doesn't offer CPO on SLRs.

Definitely something you need to consider and add to the total cost of ownership on this car. $5k one-two times a year is an extra $10k just for oil changes.

From working at FJ Mercedes in Newport, yes the SLR's do require special attachments to the service lifts in order to raise them up. They also must be worked on by a SLR certified tech, so your selection of dealers being able to service your new SLR is now limited further. I know alot of the cost to the service bill is just labor. I beleive an oil change requires the entire carbon fiber undercarriage cover to be removed, as well as any other undercarriage repair for that matter. However it wouldnt surprise me if Merc did indeed increase to cost of the SLR parts just because they could.

Hey Rob...heres one that's close and could probably be bought for $200k?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/McLaren-SLR...17%7C240%3A1318

Yes, I triple checked on all minor/major services.

To change spark plugs on the car you must remove the entire engine! Hence the $10k charge

To do an oil change and bunch of stuff needs to come off the car. Hence the $5k charge.

Recommend spark plugs every 3-4 years, regardless of mileage.

I realize that exotic cars come with high maintenance/service costs, but what a poor design and a lot of expense to do basic/routine maintenance.

That's why I inquired about purchasing one on CPO, and found out Mercedes doesn't offer CPO on SLRs.

Definitely something you need to consider and add to the total cost of ownership on this car. $5k one-two times a year is an extra $10k just for oil changes.

And that's only the beginning.

I won't go into detail here because owners of the car who have had trouble-free lives with it will rightfully scream bloody murder but in talking to a State Farm regional director last year the SLR and Porsche CGT were two cars they were considering no longer offering coverage on at any price due to the eye-popping claims on either.

He gave a specific example of a small

Both of those cars, and the Enzo along with it, require very deep pockets should something go wrong with them. They make a Murcie look like a VW Bug in repair cost by comparison.

the service aspect is just plain crazy!! this is another reason why we should all show love for lambo!

but i must say for 200k the SLR is a bargain.....

And that's only the beginning.

I won't go into detail here because owners of the car who have had trouble-free lives with it will rightfully scream bloody murder but in talking to a State Farm regional director last year the SLR and Porsche CGT were two cars they were considering no longer offering coverage on at any price due to the eye-popping claims on either.

He gave a specific example of a small

Both of those cars, and the Enzo along with it, require very deep pockets should something go wrong with them. They make a Murcie look like a VW Bug in repair cost by comparison.

Of course.. SLR and CGt ARE a step above a Murcielago. Their replacement parts are extremely high, and any light collision with any sort of damage requires the car to be sent back to Mclaren... hence the high insurance.. As far as an oil change... Easy stuff... Alex has done several including mine... Spark plugs... as long as you have the right tools.. no engine removal.. The Pads to lift the car are also easily fabricated. I was able to go to Home depot and make pds myself to jack my car on my own jacks without harm.

Ok. That's somewhat encouraging...

So what does Alex at SP charge for oil changes and plugs for this car?

Overall, I hear the engine and tranny are reliable, but what other issues are arising in these cars. As you mention, $200k may seem like a solid price, but no warranty/peace of mind when you are dealing with parts that cost $10's of thousands of dollars can be a little scary. Can you imagine what the cost would be for a new engine if one failed???? Probably well over $100k. Tranny is probably $20k+ at least...

Of course.. SLR and CGt ARE a step above a Murcielago. Their replacement parts are extremely high, and any light collision with any sort of damage requires the car to be sent back to Mclaren... hence the high insurance.. As far as an oil change... Easy stuff... Alex has done several including mine... Spark plugs... as long as you have the right tools.. no engine removal.. The Pads to lift the car are also easily fabricated. I was able to go to Home depot and make pds myself to jack my car on my own jacks without harm.

SLR values have been killed imo mainly due to 3 reasons - too many were produced, warranties have expired, and a poorly received auto transmission.

McLaren and Mercedes had to honor their 7 year contract even though differences could not be reconciled. The SLR personality issue was generally not well received. Furthermore Mercedes hosed the dealerships with the SLR hoist attachment ($500,000?). As Mako stated only certain dealerships are "authorized" to handle warranty work. I had to ship mine 600 miles each way.

The flexible service intervals require the car be serviced based upon mileage or time - the shorter timewise of the two. Count on sending it in for at least some service once a year.

Both parts and service are very expensive. My windshield was almost $10,000 CAD from what I recall.

All that said...

If you enjoy its quirky design and auto tranny you will love the car. I personally loved mine and consider it a mistake that I got rid of it. Like Allan, I bet I will get another one in the future. I would say that along with my 560 it is one of the best cars I've owned. It might actually have been better because I see so few of them on the road.

I have not had any reliability issues with mine except for the brakes that were replaced under warranty. On the other, MB rapes you for service.

They are absolute thieves and if i didnt like the car so much i would get rid of it just to get away from MB.

I don't see the engine and tranny causing any problems outside of warranty. It is all the rest of the bullshit with service. Every time the car goes in it is 5k.They see you coming.

I have confirmation that you DEF do not need to pull the motor to do plugs... The coolers come off..about 8 hrs labor.

I have not had any reliability issues with mine except for the brakes that were replaced under warranty. On the other, MB rapes you for service.

They are absolute thieves and if i didnt like the car so much i would get rid of it just to get away from MB.

I don't see the engine and tranny causing any problems outside of warranty. It is all the rest of the bullshit with service. Every time the car goes in it is 5k.They see you coming.

Do they charge you anymore then normal due to the fact that yours is a 722?

I have confirmation that you DEF do not need to pull the motor to do plugs... The coolers come off..about 8 hrs labor.

Are you fcuking kidding??!? 8hrs to do the plugs? thats insane

8 hours to do the plugs is MUCH MUCH better than Mercedes that charges you $10k and over 50 hours!!!

Why would someone need brake work with a low mile SLR? I heard that each rotor is over $10k and a full break job is closer to $50k. Again, completely insane...BUT why did you need brake work. I figured a low mile SLR wouldn't need to worry about brakes for quite a while.....Please do tell