McLaren MP4-12C master thread, details

capt_chaos

The embargo is tomorrow but The Sunday Times have the details or some on their site already

Click

When it is unveiled this week the new McLaren road car is expected to be the final word in supercar excess. For Ron Dennis it is just the beginning. The McLaren boss has outlined a strategy to create a global supercar brand with a stable of high-performance models. In an interview with The Sunday Times this weekend, Dennis reveals plans to build three new models over the next six years, eventually churning out 4,000 cars a year (Ferrari makes about 6,000). “We’re building more than one car; we’re building a brand,” he says.

The first of the three will be unveiled on Wednesday and is scheduled to go on sale in 2011. Until now it has been known only by its codename, P11, but the new model will be sold as the MP4-12C, a name that echoes the company’s history in Formula One racing, according to Dennis. It is one of the most keenly awaited cars of the decade and will follow in the tyre tracks of the McLaren F1 supercar, launched in 1991. In its day, with a top speed of 240mph, the F1 held the title of the world’s fastest road car.

The MP4-12C will feature many technical innovations gleaned from the company’s racing division, but it is clearly aimed at being a 200mph-plus supercar for everyday use too: self-adjusting suspension varies the damper settings to ensure a soft ride for urban driving, then stiffens up to improve driving dynamics and handling as speeds increase. Power comes from a V8 engine, controlled via a seven-speed gearbox.

As well as old-school supercar touches such as gull-wing doors, the car will feature modern creature comforts including a wi-fi connection, which enables owners to download maps and music to the car’s onboard computer, while a “floating” centre console similar to the one found in some Volvos gives the interior a futuristic feel.

The MP4-12C will cost £150,000 and McLaren hopes to sell 1,000 in the first year. It will be followed by two more as yet unnamed sports cars bearing the McLaren badge by 2015. The first will be an entry-level model to rival the standard Porsche 911, which costs from £60,000; the second, a model to fill the gap left by the discontinued Carrera GT, which cost £330,000 in 2004.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be a killer, Im not sold on the looks yet as sprite said it looks like shit but that can change in 2 years, and hopefully it will for the good! On that note cant wait to see it in person to give my final verdict or possibly a deposit.

I'm not going to state the obvious.... But then again. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, or so they say. Seems to have some of the F1 in there, which I think is a good thing.

Good looking car though, and I'm sure it won't be slow. I like it

Post the pics here stefano you lazy son of a bitch, the energy to click the link is too much for me!

Looks a bit bland, which lately isn't a bad thing with so many rolling abortions out there (SLS, F458, etc).

Looks a bit bland, which lately isn't a bad thing with so many rolling abortions out there (SLS, F458, etc).

:iamwithstupid:

Atleast it looks better than the F458, but line it up next to any modern Lambo and you'll forget all about it. Interior seems nice though.

I quite like the fact its a little under the radar,very british.

I think it will sell well,I heard it handles unbelievable,cant wait to drive it!!!

agreed, I am really starting to love this car. It may not stand out like a lambo, but its performance, if its anything like the F1, will be a benchmark even farrari will struggle to match.

As for people saying its bland, thats the idea, Mclaren did it on perpose saying -quote "people want a car that doesnt shout about its extreme performance"

or in otherwords, those who've got it dont flaunt it, the british way ;)

Anyone else notice the resemblance to the L147?

After more exposure to this I am starting to like it. The engine should be magnificent.

l1472.jpg

5098480.jpg

Atleast it looks better than the F458, but line it up next to any modern Lambo and you'll forget all about it.

That's pretty much my opinion too. I actually think it looks rather nice, but it's not quite up there with the Gallardo. Certainly embarasses the Ferrari though.

looks like the new F car...but more boring

i bet it will be a superb car but they really need to get a car designer and not a guy that makes models for car videogames without brand licences

it really looks one of those anonimous supercar you will find on a B-series PlayStation game :(