Took some good pics!

Allan-Herbie

It's a lovely car enjoy and make sure you up loads of vids for the rest of us less fortunate individuals.

You're the only Lambo owner I know who lives a Ghetto, so cheer up :icon_mrgreen: !

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest miyagi
You're the only Lambo owner I know who lives a Ghetto, so cheer up :icon_mrgreen: !

Haha....I'm just taking the piss really....everything you hear is "in the Ghetto" this "in the Ghetto that"

I love it. i would def do wheels and some exhaust work. I personally would make it a tad more aggressive..

listening to you makes me want to buy another exotic and get that same feeling all over again.

there is nothing in life that compares to that feeling of picking up your new exotic and driving it for the first time. :icon_thumleft:

The exhaust on the SLR is one of those things i wouldn't touch unless there is a hell of a lot of research that goes into it.The whole exhaust system and cats is packed in a such a small area and i am sure Mclaren spend countless hours trying to come up with the best solution for the street.You screw up the exhaust and you end up losing hp and now you are going backwards just becuase you want a better exhaust note.

As far as wheels are concerned,same story.So many aftermarket wheels look good but weigh a ton and unless they are from a reputable manufacturer i wouldn't trust flogging my car around a track or driving at 200mph on some pimp wheels.

The exhaust on the SLR is one of those things i wouldn't touch unless there is a hell of a lot of research that goes into it.The whole exhaust system and cats is packed in a such a small area and i am sure Mclaren spend countless hours trying to come up with the best solution for the street.You screw up the exhaust and you end up losing hp and now you are going backwards just becuase you want a better exhaust note.

As far as wheels are concerned,same story.So many aftermarket wheels look good but weigh a ton and unless they are from a reputable manufacturer i wouldn't trust flogging my car around a track or driving at 200mph on some pimp wheels.

Agreed.

The 722 wheels would probably be difficult/impossible to get I'm assuming?

Agreed.

The 722 wheels would probably be difficult/impossible to get I'm assuming?

Not impossible.All you need to do is order them.I haven't priced them but i doubt very much they are in the stratosphere.Then again i could be completely wrong . :icon_mrgreen:

Not impossible.All you need to do is order them.I haven't priced them but i doubt very much they are in the stratosphere.Then again i could be completely wrong . :icon_mrgreen:

Aram, what's your opinion of the Brabus wheels as an upgrade for the stock SLR turbines?

Aram, what's your opinion of the Brabus wheels as an upgrade for the stock SLR turbines?

They sure look good.I assume Brabus gets the wheels made by a renowned manufacturer so the quality should be good but i don't have specs on either wheel so besides looks i cannot comment.It sure would be interesting to find out how much they weigh

A mate had an SL55 and got some Brabus wheels. Said the quality was poor and the metal was porous (leaked air).

Might have been a bad set... but worth investigating fully

I agree, but i personally think between Renntech and Brabus you can get a reputable exhaust/wheels combo that would make for one badass SLR!!!!!!

They sure look good.I assume Brabus gets the wheels made by a renowned manufacturer so the quality should be good but i don't have specs on either wheel so besides looks i cannot comment.It sure would be interesting to find out how much they weigh

Thanks. I'll see if I can weigh them. I've got to take them off and swap the turbines in as I have some track time coming up in August.

I don't think the Brabus wheels are well suited for track use.

Definitely agree w/you on the exhaust; not on the wheels. It's one thing when a mass-manufacturer creates a car that has to appease a wide array of variables (say, a standard CL-class Mercedes). It's another when they are willing to sacrifice some variables that are at-odds with others (ie exhaust note/volume) a la CL55 AMG. But to go so extreme a vehicle as and SLR, I'm sure all of engineering/extrapolating in-terms of power have been thoroughly researched and any monkeying with that will be detrimental to performance. No, I'm not saying that an SLR is related to a CL-class but I'm drawing a line to max-performance in-terms of exhaust.

Wheels are another issue. So long as bolt pattern, offset, weight, and metallurgy are maintained or improved-upon, there is no reason (other than expense) not to change them. IMO the wheel design on the SLR is the weak link of an otherwise amazing car and I'd change them. Also, if it can be accomplished via the vehicle's height sensors (if-equipped), I'd probably drop the car 1/2 to 3/4".

On a personal note, my new Cadillac EXT came with 18" wheels and rode beautifully. My shop handles/distributes OEM Cadillac wheels and the weight difference between the OEM 18's and 22's is noteworthy. I had custom 1-piece forged wheels made in 22" size and the overall weight is the same as the 18's (markedly lighter than the OEM 22's). The ride is almost the same as when I had the 18's, but not identical due to the change in rotational mass (weight is further from the centerpoint, than before). Nevertheless, it rides/handles MUCH better than the OEM 22's (have driven several with them).

Hope this explains a bit, about wheels.

cheers,

~Double

Why not trade it in on the SLR? Big sales tax savings, no?

I imagine Arizona is like my state where you get no tax advantage for a trade in and still have to pay full sales tax on the new car. We even have to pay full sales tax on a leased car in my state. Its a true racket.

A mate had an SL55 and got some Brabus wheels. Said the quality was poor and the metal was porous (leaked air).

Might have been a bad set... but worth investigating fully

Must have been a really bad set. Brabus wheels are forged, which means they metal grain is the same direction, hence the high strength and high quality. They are also TUV certified, which is a certification for damage resistance. The one-piece wheels should be good for the track, but the multi-piece might not be. I would personally go with some single piece Brabus or some Kinesis wheels if you want aftermarket track worthy wheels.

BTW, nice pics Allan.

Must have been a really bad set. Brabus wheels are forged, which means they metal grain is the same direction, hence the high strength and high quality. They are also TUV certified, which is a certification for damage resistance. The one-piece wheels should be good for the track, but the multi-piece might not be. I would personally go with some single piece Brabus or some Kinesis wheels if you want aftermarket track worthy wheels.

BTW, nice pics Allan.

i had the 3 piece set on my cl55 and the lip bent when i rubbed a curb. still nice wheels but i think they're pretty soft.

i had the 3 piece set on my cl55 and the lip bent when i rubbed a curb. still nice wheels but i think they're pretty soft.

Means you needed a wider tire :icon_thumleft: Either that or you hit the curb hard.

Looks really nice, I must have not been reading your post correct but I see you have Blk/Blk that made that car 10x hotter

• 3 weeks later...
I imagine Arizona is like my state where you get no tax advantage for a trade in and still have to pay full sales tax on the new car. We even have to pay full sales tax on a leased car in my state. Its a true racket.

Welcome to a legalized mafia :lol2:

what's the ingress/egress like on the SLR?

It is a little tricky and cramped so i can imagine a fat ass like Allan must have a really hard time :icon_mrgreen:

Why would you like to change the turbine wheels for something as common looking as the Brabus ones? The turbines are very unique and they look very well on the SLR. The Brabus wheels look cheap and commin IMO.

I like the turbines even more than the 722 wheels

And about the exhaust: Slr has one of the best exhaust notes i've ever heard! Why change it?

It is a little tricky and cramped so i can imagine a fat ass like Allan must have a really hard time :icon_mrgreen:
I agree! Getting in and out is kinda a pain in the ass!

Allan, next time your in San Diego with the SLR let me know please!

Dying to take pics of your car... looks awesome.