Newbie Questions

toplesswhitegal

Should have asked here first, but I didn't realize that this section existed.

I just bought a brand new Breitling Windrider Chronomat Evolution watch from a Breitling dealer for barely over $4000usd inc. taxes.

Was this a good deal or market value?

How do the Breitling watches compare to Rolex in regards to resale/trading etc.?

Roughly on trade would I expect to get for it in excellent shape?

Mine is exactly like this but blue face. Model# A13356

A13356_K508_4500.jpg

Breitling's are fair watches to wear but definitely not watches to "invest" on. Their calibres are only ok but the real problem is that they make far too many models yet each one is relatively the same as the other. I.e. too many models but too little deviation between them and most being aesthetic differences only. Even for the so-called limited edition models, there are a few every year. Consequently, they really don't hold up nearly as well as Rolex.

As a rule no one really knows which watch will do well from an investment standpoint .We can take an educated guess based on past history but even that is not necessarily a slam dunk.

My rule is AND THIS BY ALL MEANS IS NOT GOSPEL: Any watch that retails for 20k or less should be bought for enjoyement and enjoyment only.If it appreciates it is a great bonus for you but don't expect anything from the watch except the satisfaction of owning it and wearing it.

Above 20k you have to look at resale.Imo 20k is not enough for a collector's wqtch baseline anymore as prices have moved up quite a bit but i am sure there will be some watches in that price range that will go through the roof someday.Which ones is the magical question.

Some blue chip brands:

On top of the list Patek.Unquestionably the most sought after brand,presitigious,expensive,exclusive,great snob appeal and great product.However this does not mean that every watch patek makes will be a collectors item and appreciate.Actually with the exception of a few models the rest of the patek line depreciates just like everything else on the market..

Next in line is probably AP short for Audemars Piguet.AP has a great product but the market place seems to be only interested in the ROO ( ROYAL OAK OFFHSORE) limited editions.

These LE's were introduced in 1999 as the first model was the ROO end of days and they did not catch on immediately.It took a few years to develop sort of fanatic following and again not every LE strikes gold.

With the conversations i have had with AP they are quite uspet as being recognised for the ROO only as they do have other line,Jules Audemars being on of them but most of their other watches tend to fetch average prices at auctions.

I believe AP will remain in demand and be sought after for many years to come as they only manufacture around 28000 watches a year.As a comparison Rolex is at a million.

Other reputable brands where it will be hit and miss:

RM ( Richard Mille),Vacheron Constantin,IWC,Blancpain,Ulysse Nardin,Rolex .I might have missed a couple but with the exception of RM these are older brands that been around for quite a while.

There is a whole slew of new watch manufacturers coming form switzerland and even though the quality of these watches is not to be questioned they are just too new to have any sort of pedigre and i doubt will do well on the seconday market.

This is sort a very brief summary.I hope it is of some help to you.

Before i depart, the most important thing to remember:

Wether the watch is 20k or 200k,if dont love it don't buy it just because it will have collectible potential.It isn't any different that buying a painting and yo will have to look at it every day and it will get boring very fast if the passion isn't there in the first place.

Best of luck

As a rule no one really knows which watch will do well from an investment standpoint .We can take an educated guess based on past history but even that is not necessarily a slam dunk.

My rule is AND THIS BY ALL MEANS IS NOT GOSPEL: Any watch that retails for 20k or less should be bought for enjoyement and enjoyment only.If it appreciates it is a great bonus for you but don't expect anything from the watch except the satisfaction of owning it and wearing it.

Above 20k you have to look at resale.Imo 20k is not enough for a collector's wqtch baseline anymore as prices have moved up quite a bit but i am sure there will be some watches in that price range that will go through the roof someday.Which ones is the magical question.

Some blue chip brands:

On top of the list Patek.Unquestionably the most sought after brand,presitigious,expensive,exclusive,great snob appeal and great product.However this does not mean that every watch patek makes will be a collectors item and appreciate.Actually with the exception of a few models the rest of the patek line depreciates just like everything else on the market..

Next in line is probably AP short for Audemars Piguet.AP has a great product but the market place seems to be only interested in the ROO ( ROYAL OAK OFFHSORE) limited editions.

These LE's were introduced in 1999 as the first model was the ROO end of days and they did not catch on immediately.It took a few years to develop sort of fanatic following and again not every LE strikes gold.

With the conversations i have had with AP they are quite uspet as being recognised for the ROO only as they do have other line,Jules Audemars being on of them but most of their other watches tend to fetch average prices at auctions.

I believe AP will remain in demand and be sought after for many years to come as they only manufacture around 28000 watches a year.As a comparison Rolex is at a million.

RM ( Richard Mille),Vacheron Constantin,IWC,Blancpain,Ulysse Nardin,Rolex .I might have missed a couple but with the exception of RM these are older brands that been around for quite a while.

There is a whole slew of new watch manufacturers coming form switzerland and even though the quality of these watches is not to be questioned they are just too new to have any sort of pedigre and i doubt will do well on the seconday market.

Wether the watch is 20k or 200k,if dont love it don't buy it just because it will have collectible potential.It isn't any different that buying a painting and yo will have to look at it every day and it will get boring very fast if the passion isn't there in the first place.

Best of luck

Interesting post. I'm new to this, and it's good to know I'm not out in left field.

:)

Some blue chip brands:

Best of luck

great insight.

Thank you all for the info, I appreciate it. I did purchase because I liked it and was hoping that at a later date if I decided to upgrade that I wouldn't lose too much on a trade.

Thanks again!

Expect to get about $2500 in trade depending on dealer and condition of watch. The only Breitling that has gone up in recent history is the Avenger Skyland Blacksteel. Only 100 came to the US and people have been paying over retail for them. Breitling values have been creeping up but nothing like Rolex and AP. Great watch you got though. I wear a Chronomat Evolution daily and beat the heck out of it. Really solid watch!

Expect to get about $2500 in trade depending on dealer and condition of watch. The only Breitling that has gone up in recent history is the Avenger Skyland Blacksteel. Only 100 came to the US and people have been paying over retail for them. Breitling values have been creeping up but nothing like Rolex and AP. Great watch you got though. I wear a Chronomat Evolution daily and beat the heck out of it. Really solid watch!

Good to know, thank you. My intention is to use it daily as well, so far I really enjoy the watch! It just better keep time!

Some blue chip brands:

Best of luck

Thank you very much for this. Surprised you didn't mention Panerai though. As far as AP, I might be completely wrong about this - but it seems there is some demand generated by rappers who are now mentioning this quite frequently. Plus the design might appeal to the younger generations as well.

The heavyweights have spoken.

And I agree with them.....wear the watch cause you enjoy it. I like breitlings (crosswind in my rotation and I wouldn't mind picking up an old navitimer) but these are not watches bought for their ascending value, just nice watches, decent pedegree and cool factor if you're into them. Unfortunately, along with rolex they are now becoming heavily copied.

Thank you very much for this. Surprised you didn't mention Panerai though. As far as AP, I might be completely wrong about this - but it seems there is some demand generated by rappers who are now mentioning this quite frequently. Plus the design might appeal to the younger generations as well.

Panerai started out really well,or should i say the relauch was brilliantly done.Since then there are more and more pieces on the market and they really are not that exclusive anymore.

I had a limited edition radiomir that i lost my shirt on and i cannot say that i am a huge fan of the looks but taste is one of those things.I know friends that have these huge panerai collections.

I ceratinly will not buy another one again ever.

My next watches will be in no direct order,Patek 5070 platinum,ROO concept and a few ROO LE pieces that will catch my attention and i think that wull do for this year

Congratulations on the purchase. I really like Brietlings. I was going to buy myself a Breitling A68062 B-1 but deal went sour so I got an lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu seamaster professional instead.

My next watch will hopefully be an lambda lambda lambda and the omega mu Planet Ocean or a Breitling for Bentley series.

Aram, do you have an opinion on the new C1 from Concord?

The rose gold edition has around 5 ounces of rose gold alone. The case is very complicated. It has a bit too much rubber for my taste but my thought was a daily in this price range (MSRP around 30k CAD) with a projected price increase to roughly 40k within a year might protect me from taking a haircut when I exit.

Also, that RO Concept you are speaking of is absolutely nuts, if it's the tourbillon piece I'm thinking of. Tall money.

Aram, do you have an opinion on the new C1 from Concord?

The rose gold edition has around 5 ounces of rose gold alone. The case is very complicated. It has a bit too much rubber for my taste but my thought was a daily in this price range (MSRP around 30k CAD) with a projected price increase to roughly 40k within a year might protect me from taking a haircut when I exit.

Also, that RO Concept you are speaking of is absolutely nuts, if it's the tourbillon piece I'm thinking of. Tall money.

I can give you an honest opinion about concord's.No collector value whatsoever so if you like the watch buy it for what it is and enjoy it.Unless you are getting it for 70% off msrp don't expect to break even on resale.

My opinion of course and i have lost my shirt on enough watches to stay away from most brands at any price.

The ROO concept is the one AP introduced at SIHH at the beginning of April.It is forged carbon i believe with tourbillon.It is one of those pieces you cannot go wrong with,better than investing in real estate at the present time

I can give you an honest opinion about concord's.No collector value whatsoever so if you like the watch buy it for what it is and enjoy it.Unless you are getting it for 70% off msrp don't expect to break even on resale.

My opinion of course and i have lost my shirt on enough watches to stay away from most brands at any price.

The ROO concept is the one AP introduced at SIHH at the beginning of April.It is forged carbon i believe with tourbillon.It is one of those pieces you cannot go wrong with,better than investing in real estate at the present time

I think it might be a RO concept, and not an Offshore. Here's a link: http://www.vialuxe.com/Blogs/index.php/200...ronograph-watch And yeah, it's an amazing piece. You have any idea of price point for it?

Thanks for your advice on the C1. I think much like the Chanel J12s from last year (or year before?) it might be the trendy thing right now, as my understanding is that they are moving a lot of pieces. I'll keep an eye on the door for that one.

I think it might be a RO concept, and not an Offshore. Here's a link: http://www.vialuxe.com/Blogs/index.php/200...ronograph-watch And yeah, it's an amazing piece. You have any idea of price point for it?

Thanks for your advice on the C1. I think much like the Chanel J12s from last year (or year before?) it might be the trendy thing right now, as my understanding is that they are moving a lot of pieces. I'll keep an eye on the door for that one.

I am hoping to see it next week.I think msrp is 250k but don't quote me yet.

• 2 weeks later...

That is one impressive time-piece. Absolutely stunning.

-Olivier