CERN Particle Accelerator

VENOMIZ

AHA! And there we have it! This guy making the argument DOESNT have the EQUIVALENT OF A MEDICAL DEGREE or a state certification in the field!!!

He has a "Bachelors degree" and he "attended" graduate school.

He is NOT a PhD. And whereas I agree, some PhDs can be wholly overrated, I WOULDNT LET the guy with the "Bachelor degree and some med school" do brain surgery on me. In fact, I wouldnt let the DOCTOR WITH the Medical degree and the state certifications do brain surgery on me, unless I was A LOT MORE IMPRESSED with WHERE he got his degree, and whats hes accomplished with it since Med School than I am with the AVERAGE brain surgeon!!!!

This guy's CV lists "writing in magazines". Super.... How about some SCHOLARLY JOURNALS??? Thats what judges and attorneys look for when we seek an expert witness. What we're left with is a college drop-out with some bizarre, unaccepted, un peer reviewed theories, making an argument to shut down a project.... Does he have ANY mainstream scientists with the gravitas of reputation he lacks backing him?

Whether or not the plaintiffs are flakes(probably) is immaterial to my statement doubting the judge's ability to grasp the subject matter. Like the vast majority of us, the judge will have to believe the experts. I am sure our fathers, grandfathers had the same faith/ignorance when nuclear science was coming up. Those guys gave us the good(xray imaging) and the very bad(nuclear weapons). What's in store for us, after the sub atomic scientists have their go at it remains to be seen.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with this high level of science is very few people understand it. This project was probably reviewed scientifically by a relatively small and select group of people. The rest of us are working on trust and our faith in science to do good.

Not so few people do not understand it. Many, many people understand what the LHC does and how it is going about it's business. I could sift through the science apps of any major uni and find probably 10k+ people that not only understand what's going on with the LHC, but could teach a graduate level class or two on it.

People that don't understand it will blame Allan Lambo and his TTG for global warming yet roast their marshmallows in Al Gore's heating vents all the while chanting the end is near because some naked Brazillian woman set a rain forest on fire with her nipples.

The LHC will go online and smash small bits of stuff into small bits of stuff and nothing will change for anyone else on the planet Earth. There will be no black holes and interspacial tranformal tacyhon beams sent forth from remodulated space dishes.

You will wake up, brush your teeth and go about your day whilst some geeks smash atoms together and you will be no closer to the end of the world than any other day.

Would be kinda funny if they fired it and nothing happpened at all, nothing learned, nothing destroyed.

Ha ha

There is a huddle of complete boffins crowded around this single monitor... waiting... waiting....

The international assembly of white coats, pens in the top pocket collectively scratching their heads. The French scientist turns to the American and Russian scientist asking if they had double checked their stations were set up correctly... a wall of oui oui, yes, da da etc returns back.

Several calculations and recalculations follow, people checking their sums, did they carry that one over?

Then the cleaner unplugs his vacuum cleaner and puts the spare plug he took out five minutes ago back into the socket.

On the screen the professors are gathered around a message pops up "level 1 complete"

It is funny how they are trying to find the "God Particle". From the scale of the universe to the subatomic particle, everything it just energy. When they get to the next level into the atom, it will be made of others. How far will they look? Who knows. But, when we get to the bottom of what we can see and study, it will be "it" for us. That will be the God Particle, just as everything outward is the universe to us. It is never ending in both directions. You have to wonder though, were did this energy come from? People can argue about the start of life. Are they going to argue the beginning of energy?

One thing is true. Attractive forces on the larger scale are weaker than those of the smaller scale. For example, gravitational force is weaker than atomic force, or else things like a car would fall apart from the force of gravity. In the same regard, the nucleus of an atom is usually preserved in a chemical reaction. This is why a nuclear reaction....the next step inward into an atom is so powerful. You can see it in a nuclear bomb.

This makes me wonder, how much energy can be released in these subatomic tests, even when small quantities are used.

Up and running. They launched it succesfully.

"...the world's most powerful physics experiment has sent the first beam around its 27km-long tunnel.

Engineers cheered as the proton particles completed their first circuit of the underground ring which houses the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)."

Up and running. They launched it succesfully.

"...the world's most powerful physics experiment has sent the first beam around its 27km-long tunnel.

Engineers cheered as the proton particles completed their first circuit of the underground ring which houses the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)."

Well we havent been sucked into a black hole yet, so thats a success!!

I have been trying to read up on this. It is hard for me to put my brain around it. So I am really not going to comment on it. I did find this though and I thought it was funny:

It was actually created by some of the scientist at CERN! LOL!!!

I have been trying to read up on this. It is hard for me to put my brain around it. So I am really not going to comment on it. I did find this though and I thought it was funny:

It was actually created by some of the scientist at CERN! LOL!!!

I want to see that on Total Request Live!

It is funny how they are trying to find the "God Particle". From the scale of the universe to the subatomic particle, everything it just energy. When they get to the next level into the atom, it will be made of others. How far will they look? Who knows. But, when we get to the bottom of what we can see and study, it will be "it" for us. That will be the God Particle, just as everything outward is the universe to us. It is never ending in both directions. You have to wonder though, were did this energy come from? People can argue about the start of life. Are they going to argue the beginning of energy?

Well no one knows if the universe itself is never-ending or not. Some believe that it may circle around on itself sort of, but no one can know for sure.

The science profession is a long way from ever being able to figure out where everything came from, that's what religion is for.

We use science to describe this universe. We use religion to explain it.

One thing is true. Attractive forces on the larger scale are weaker than those of the smaller scale. For example, gravitational force is weaker than atomic force, or else things like a car would fall apart from the force of gravity. In the same regard, the nucleus of an atom is usually preserved in a chemical reaction. This is why a nuclear reaction....the next step inward into an atom is so powerful. You can see it in a nuclear bomb.

This makes me wonder, how much energy can be released in these subatomic tests, even when small quantities are used.

BTW, I hear there's a new project being started to try to re-create the Big Bang...so maybe that's your answer bonedoc. Maybe some previous civilization, in their quest to understand the universe, created a Big Bang and started our current universe, and maybe we will do it again :) :)

Well no one knows if the universe itself is never-ending or not. Some believe that it may circle around on itself sort of, but no one can know for sure.

The science profession is a long way from ever being able to figure out where everything came from, that's what religion is for.

We use science to describe this universe. We use religion to explain it.

I don't use religion to explain universe. I can't explain the universe.

Whats crazy is we have 3/4's of one of these built close to where I live in the Dallas area. It was called the Super Collider and was supposed to cost $4Bil back in the mid 80's. I think it was a bigger project than the now completed CERN. The cost swelled to over $10Bil and Bill Clinton cancelled the project in his first term. I dove hunt right on top of a part of the tunnel and from what I have seen it is Huge!! I think parts of Universal Soldier and some other movies were filmed in parts of the monster headquarters and miles of underground tunnels. I know a lot of people were dissapointed that we got so close to having it built only to cancel the project. I wonder what would have happened if we could have completed these experiments 15 years ago?? Who knows?? Thanks Bill!!!!

Whats crazy is we have 3/4's of one of these built right now close to where I live in the Dallas area. It was called the Super Collider and was supposed to cost $4Bil back in the mid 80's. I think it was a bigger project than the now completed CERN. The cost swelled to over $10Bil and Bill Clinton cancelled the project in his first term. I dove hunt right on top of a huge part of a tunnel and from what I have seen it is Huge!! I think parts of Universal Soldier and many other movies were filmed in parts of the monster headquarters and Miles of underground tunnels. I know lots of people were dissapointed that we got so close to having it built only to cancel the project. I wonder what would have happened if we could have completed these experiments 15 years ago?? Who knows?? Thanks Bill!!!!

I used to live right next to, and still live not far away from, the Fermi Lab here by Chicago :eek3dance: I gotta go take a tour there at some point. Any local people been?

Nice find, topic merged. :icon_thumleft:

:icon_thumleft:

Cern announced they will be smashing particles the size of our pinky together. This will become very interesting next month.

Yeah! I've been waiting for the tests to begin for what seems like years.. I hope something great comes of it...