Thought on Vipers?

TheFilipinoStig

Okay LP'ers, what are your thoughts on Vipers? With pricing around 30-35K for a great condition 96-99 GTS (Blue/White Stripe), 400something HP and 500TQ, they look pretty lucrative. I know their build quality is so-so, but are they a step in the right direction of exotics/fun cars? Or should I just wait a few more years and save up for the Gallardo? (Will not be my DD)

I just bought a 96' RT10 (white w/blue stripes), and I love it. It is no Lambo, but it is definitely a step in the right direction and if youre like me, it will help keep your sanity having a "toy" while you work towards that Gallardo (WITHOUT breaking the bank!) ;)

There are different opinions of course, and many will tell you to just skip the small setback (Viper), and continue to climb the ladder towards the Lambo. My problem was I was just getting too bored not having anything fun to drive NOW, so the purchase was well worth it to me. :) I too, am trying to climb the ladder towards an early Diablo or a G in the near future.

One last thing about the early Vipers (and again, opinions may differ on this..), is that if you buy right (like a 92-96RT/10 or a 96-98 GTS), you may be stepping into a car that is *almost fully depreciated. There are plenty of Vipers out there right now in the 25-30k range, and I just dont see them getting much cheaper then that in the next few years. They are pretty desirable "entry" level exotic cars, and hence, seem to move rather easily. That is not to say you will sell the car for exactly what you paid for it of course, but unlike a newer sports car, you shouldnt lose much money at all on one of these earlier cars.

Good luck. :)

I was looking at 996TT's as well, or even a base 993 or 996, but for the money, the Viper is a helluva car - I just don't know how long I'd want to keep it, whereas a Porsche would feel welcome in my garage anyday. My friend told me "you buy a Viper to scare the hell out of your friends!"

Why choose a Viper over a Porsche?

I think it depends on what you want the car for. I've always been a huge viper fan, and my first sports car/exotic will undoubtedly be a 97 Viper GTS, blue with white stripes. Although you could easily find a Porsche that fits within your budget, the viper feels more exotic because you don't see many of them. Everytime I get in my car I see corvettes & porsches (not many turbos though), but I rarely see vipers (maybe this is just because I live in New England?). I'd say go for it and get the viper! If it makes you smile and is what you want, get it!

Why choose a Viper over a Porsche? (GTS and 996tt are priced about the same these days)

Because when a Viper drives towards me i dont have to wait until its right beside me to figure out what i'm looking at. is it a boxer? a cayman? a 911? a C4s? a turbo? a gt3? a gt2? a 911 with a body kit and a gt2 wing? a Turbo with a GT2 wing? etc, etc.

In my mind the 996tt or anything from porsche is more akin to a BMW or a Mercedes...aka a very nice high volume production car that can be daily driven and has a badge. The viper to me is just more exotic. if your talking GTS bodies...from 1992 to 2002 around 15,000 Vipers were made. If you were to look only at Porsche Turbo production then the number is similar...but in reality Porsche cranks out almost 100,000 cars per year, that lets face it all look very similar.

To most people crossing the street a $70K Cayman is the same as a $250K GT2 (in the way a S430 and a S65 AMG look pretty much the same despite a six figure price difference)...i'd much rather my $70K look like a Viper and my $250K look like a Lambo.

Comparing a 996TT to a viper is about as close as comparing V6 tacoma to an F450. Two completely different cars that are both good at what they do.

Do a search, there was just a fairly big thread about vipers in general. Great cars that you can beat the hell out of for 100k+ miles without doing anything but changing the oil. If you know how to drive one, a GTS will put the hurt on a 996tt in a drag or road race. YOU just have to earn it and be able to drive the car, it isn't going to hold your hand and make you look like a hero with all the electronic pansy stuff.

I had a 97 viper, its a great car for cruising on the hwy for long distances, its very comfortable. but even though it has all that power, they dont like to be driven hard, they fall apart. I have owned lots of porsches, you can drive them to work all week, then spend a weekend at the track doing laps, driving hard, and come monday morning you can drive it to work again.

Why choose a Viper over a Porsche?

If you want looks and attention, get the Viper. If you want drivability and comfort, get the 911.

If you want both looks and comfrot in one but are OK with sacraficing some performance, get an NSX.

VIPER... I've owned Porsche's and driven Vipers, and here's "my" take...

Simply put, the Viper is an exotic and the Porsche is not. This is the same reason people 2nd guess buying into a POS ZR1 or Porsche GT2/Turbo b/c in the end, unless you're a car guy, it's just another POS/Porsche. On the other hand, my opinion is that earlier Porsche's are better all around performers than the previous gen Vipers, especially on the track, as well as being more of a daily driver (although I noticed you are buying it as a Toy). As already mentioned, if you can invest some time and money in the 'spacer' though (the spacer in between the steering wheel and seat, aka the driver!), the Viper can be a very formidable track foe given the right suspension setup. In a straight line though, a well sourced GTS Viper will clean house!

In the end, I'm not a Viper fan only b/c I prefer mid-engine, all around performers, and the Viper is definitely quite the Godzilla hand-full... on the other hand, between a Porsche and Viper GTS, the Exotic Viper GTS get the respect and attention. I'll take a well sourced earlier gen Porsche GT3 anyday over a Viper, but the price difference makes the Viper a MUCH better deal!

I had a 97 viper, its a great car for cruising on the hwy for long distances, its very comfortable. but even though it has all that power, they dont like to be driven hard, they fall apart. I have owned lots of porsches, you can drive them to work all week, then spend a weekend at the track doing laps, driving hard, and come monday morning you can drive it to work again.

I tend to respectfully disagree. After logging ~50k miles on my personal GTS, and have friends with 120k+ on theirs, these cars do anything but fall apart from hard driving.

Can a stock 996 drivetrain take 900rwhp, and do it on pump gas at that?

I've seen (and personally) driven my car to willow, tracked it, and then driven it home again. Takes some confidence in your equipment to do that. Usually see the GT3 porsche cars showing up on a trailer.

I agree with the above. If you do the normal fluid changes, these cars are incredibly solid. I could drive mine everyday no problem. Very fun cars for the money. Comparable to Plastic mess-06's but more exclusive. BUT i've never been in a Gallardo, so I can't say you shouldn't wait for one.

Heres my quick take on vipers.

I can see a pretty directo corolation between the viper and lambos (hold on let me explain), The viper while it may not be the fastest or the best handling car it is one of the loudest and most brash in its league. While a porsche may be faster and easier to drive few cars draw as much atention as a viper. I personally see the viper as "gateway exotic" it may not be a true exotic but it tends to lead to people buying more exotic cars.

I've had 3 Vipers. A 97 GTS (Blue/White stripes), 2003 SRT-10 (Red Conv't) & and present a 2006 SRT-10 coupe (Blue/White stripes). The Viper is without a doubt, an entry level exotic. You can go for days, maybe weeks & not see one (depending where you live). When I bought my 1998 C5, it was nice & didn't see too many. About 10 months later, I was at an intersection & there were seven C5's including me :eusa_wall: . At that point I wanted something rarely seen & decided to sell the C5 & get the 97 GTS. :icon_thumleft:

At the moment, I have the 2006 Viper, 2005 FGT & the 2004 Murci. The FGT & Murci are precision machines & feel like it. The Viper is the "polar opposite" & I love the contrast. It's like driving an old school 66 big block Ve++e. A good comparison is the Viper is like the "old style" wooden roller coaster (rough ride!) VS the "new style" high tech roller coasters. The Lambo's & FGT's have their place, but the Viper has it's too. Not to mention the fact, that with the addition of a DLM supercharger, the 500HP motor is capable of close to 750HP.

My only advice, is try to get the 2002 GTS, it's the first year they offered ABS. I've had a few close calls with the 97 GTS & ABS would have helped.

The other guys are right, the Porsche & Ve++es are great, but if you've seen one, you've seen them all. You want something different (entry level exotic) get the Viper :icon_thumleft:

^ 2001 was the first year for abs, but it's horrific. If you remotely know how to threshold break, you will hate it.

Yes, and in ideal (dry) environments I prefer no ABS. This sort of car won't see hard driving in the rain or snow anyway. When I looked at pricing, I was intrigued by the low prices of the 96's with 30k or so miles, just as something to throw around and have fun with (stupid American power), until I go Italian.

I My friend told me "you buy a Viper to scare the hell out of your friends!"

I love the GTSs, but be VERY careful. Vipers have a way of ending up in junk yards very fast with young inexperenced drivers

While a porsche may be faster

Faster? Maybe, not sure. Quicker? No way. Not stock vs. stock.

Bottm line is this. What do you want out of the car?? Looks and attention? Or comfrot and drivability? Answer this question and you will know what you want. It's that easy..:)

I tend to respectfully disagree. After logging ~50k miles on my personal GTS, and have friends with 120k+ on theirs, these cars do anything but fall apart from hard driving.

Can a stock 996 drivetrain take 900rwhp, and do it on pump gas at that?

I've seen (and personally) driven my car to willow, tracked it, and then driven it home again. Takes some confidence in your equipment to do that. Usually see the GT3 porsche cars showing up on a trailer.

I beg to differ on the drive train, I tore mine up at the track, after maybe 10 hours of total track time. I also had all kinds of problems with my brakes.

I want something that is an awesome driving car with great performance and isn't dime a dozen. I'm not buying a car for looks or attention.

Lotus Esprit - I was looking at those. Need to do more research.

My goal is to have a Lamborghini in the next five years or so - the question is do I get something in between to keep my sanity.

I want something that is an awesome driving car with great performance and isn't dime a dozen. .

Awesome driving: Porsche

great performance: About equal, with Viper a little quicker in a straight line and Porsche handling a little better on corners

isn't a dime a dozen: Viper

Porsche 2, Viper 2

Flip a coin..:)

Porsche handling a little better on corners

That's the biggest misconception ever... a viper will only get beat by a porsche on a roadcourse if the viper driver is a dunce. With a good driver the viper will absolutely decimate a 996 through the twisties.

'02-'04 Lotus Esprit Turbo V8! Had 2 already... amazing cars that will make 500+HP with only $5K of "safe" upgrades, but an amazing exotic for the money no matter what... VERY rare as well...

I TOTALLY agree with you as to the ABS as well... it will only hinder a well trained/experienced driver, especially on the track!! (I know this first hand as is why I don't have my Esprit any longer! :eusa_wall: ). Hence, why I've opted for the Rossion Q1... a street legal race car.

As for waiting, if you're a true car guy, waiting will "kill" you in your sleep. If it's a matter of a year or two for the G, then wait... anything more, GET IT NOW! You won't see another buyer's market like this for a long time! (oncew we pull out of all this economic SH!T!). Great prices on the market now, and you only live once man! You don't know all the fun you're missing and all the great people you'll meet with your ride! On a bad day, I always feel better knowing my other "baby" is sitting downstairs waiting for me... anyhow, I understand the Mayans say the world will end in Dec, 2012... what're you waiting for!?!?!? :eusa_dance: