R8 V10 vs. Lamborghini discussion

gtelesto

Apparently they aren't even worth 70% of the penny. Have you seen how cheap the nearly new Gallardos are? And they still aren't moving.

http://www.xxx/web/1317/vehicl...do-Superleggera Wonder how much of a beating slowpoke has taken in the first 3 month of winter ownership.

I'd hate to be the guy who paid MSRP for an SL. Something is very telling about not being able to move these cars with such discounts. Give a similar discount for an R8 with 1K miles and watch how fast it disappears.

The current economic climate surely has an effect on the exotic market, but give me a break. This is a correction. It's showing the true value of these cars, and even their precious marque can't save them.

The only new cars that they will be selling for a while will be to the real money. The ones who lost %30 of their net worth and still are filthy rich. Everyone else will sit on the sideline and scoop them up at deep discounts and more realistic values.

Gallardo sales rose every year since launch until mid-2008.

Quoting market stats now doesn't means anything, due obviously to the world's most severe economic downturn in 50 years. Save your keystrokes.

When the R8 sells 5000+ units worldwide, you ladies let me know. Then you can compare softness on the secondary market. Until then it's not even worth the effort to explain to you from a business standpoint why it's nothing more than the "NSX 2.0".

Re-read my posts, they're very clear. See me in 18 months from now and we'll continue this discussion.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gallardo sales rose every year since launch until mid-2008.

Quoting market stats now doesn't means anything, due obviously to the world's most severe economic downturn in 50 years. Save your keystrokes.

When the R8 sells 5000+ units worldwide, you ladies let me know. Then you can compare softness on the secondary market. Until then it's not even worth the effort to explain to you from a business standpoint why it's nothing more than the "NSX 2.0".

Re-read my posts, they're very clear. See me in 18 months from now and we'll continue this discussion.

It may be a downturn, but it's also a correction. If you can't go by current market stats now because of the downturn, then you can't go by the previous market stats which were grossly inflated. If you think that you can, please explain why. You either compare sales in the same market or you don't compare them at all. It doesn't make sense.

And how can you call it an NSX 2.0 already? Do you have the numbers for next year? You're simply speculating just as much as anyone else. Are you saying we should trust Mako's car industry knowledge over Audi's? Perhaps you should give them a ring. I imagine Audi would pay you a fair amount of money for your knowledge on this subject.

^^

Have you ever driven a R8? Even the V8, though slow, is a sweet ride, if you get on it thru some twisties. The R8V10 is leaps and bounds better and will hang with your SL any day on any road or track.

Audi has a test facility near me, and I am in their test driver program. I have driven the S5(for two weeks) and no like. If you think it is better than a R8, no need to go further, POSER! :thefinger:

Again, please try and understand - I'm NOT commenting on the performace on the Audi - I'm just stating it is not even close to be in the same leauge as the Lambo in terms of looks/prestige yada yada, you know what I mean.

I have never driven the R8 and never will, how can a person be vomiting and driving at the same time? I never driven the S5 either, probably a shitty car but at least it looks good and can be had for 45K..

Jeeez, give it a rest allready Audiloverbuy :thefinger:

Are you saying we should trust Mako's car industry knowledge over Audi's? Perhaps you should give them a ring. I imagine Audi would pay you a fair amount of money for your knowledge on this subject.

Come on now, yes we would trust Mako over Audi in a heartbeat! Lighten up a bit, your sarcasm will not serve you well here. :icon_thumleft:

Again, please try and understand - I'm NOT commenting on the performace on the Audi - I'm just stating it is not even close to be in the same leauge as the Lambo in terms of looks/prestige yada yada, you know what I mean.

I have never driven the R8 and never will, how can a person be vomiting and driving at the same time? I never driven the S5 either, probably a shitty car but at least it looks good and can be had for 45K..

Jeeez, give it a rest allready Audiloverbuy :thefinger:

Yep, I know exactly what you mean, you always keep the blinders on, and stay on message, god bless for you your consistency :eusa_dance:

Come on now, yes we would trust Mako over Audi in a heartbeat! Lighten up a bit, your sarcasm will not serve you well here. :icon_thumleft:

Yep, I know exactly what you mean, you always keep the blinders on, and stay on message, god bless for you your consistency :eusa_dance:

Funny thing alot of the R8 bashers (not slowpoke) can't even AFFORD to own an R8 let alone R8 V-10.

They are merely car enthusiasts with an opinion..no experience.

Funny thing alot of the R8 bashers (not slowpoke) can't even AFFORD to own an R8 let alone R8 V-10.

They are merely car enthusiasts with an opinion..no experience.

This is true, but that applies to all marques. Our Ferrari-bashers are legendary, even though they may be driving Hondas... :eusa_shhh:

In fact, I'd go the other way in terms of the "fanboy" effect of the R8, as the bashers tend to handle themselves with facts and history on their side, while the zealots in favor of the R8 usually result in getting banned for being overly aggressive. We already banned that wedouglas imbecile permanently, and this BrianUK guy seems to be heading down the same path. They're very passionate for this beluga-whale car for whatever reason Wayne... :)

The R8 is a great exotic, there is no debate about that. But as a business model, we'll see how it survives.

I promise, once you Heffner yours I'll be converted. You can't argue when the high g-load is compressing your lungs. :lol2:

The R8 is a great exotic, there is no debate about that. But as a business model, we'll see how it survives.

Mako, back to your R8 business model comparison to the NSX..... I owned an NSX, which was a great car in almost every respect except for one major deficiency; it was underpowered, just like the R8 V8 is underpowered. Honda, did NOTHING to correct the power issue, whereas Audi has decisively dealt with the issue by introducing the V10. Any thoughts?

The R8 is a great exotic,

Exotic?! Come on Mako :eusa_think: :eusa_naughty:

Honda, did NOTHING to correct the power issue, whereas Audi has decisively dealt with the issue by introducing the V10. Any thoughts?

Trust me Bernard, the NSX being underpowered had very little to do with the NSX failing. You simply can not charge Porsche money (or more as in Audis case) for a "lesser" car when the criterias for 99 out of 100 buyers is - jupp, you got it right again - prestige, branding yada yada etc etc and the whole nine yards..

"Daaaaaaaamn, did you see that AUDI, wow, so cool" - Not going to happen!

"Quiet, more quiet, dead quiet, persons in awe" - Everyday in a Lamborghini!

Give it a rest dear Sir :icon_butt:

Mako, back to your R8 business model comparison to the NSX..... I owned an NSX, which was a great car in almost every respect except for one major deficiency; it was underpowered, just like the R8 V8 is underpowered. Honda, did NOTHING to correct the power issue, whereas Audi has decisively dealt with the issue by introducing the V10. Any thoughts?

The NSX failing had nothing to do with power, it failed even before the F355 arrived, or the 993 911 for that matter.

These cars that lack prestige fail because after you get past the early adopters who buy anything, and the diehard fans of the marque, you're left with the true mass-market. The mass-market buys based on brand strength alone. And that wasn't enough to propel the NSX past year three.

The Audi in year three will suffer a similar fate. Once the "new" factor wears off, and once pre-owned F430s and LP560s are flooding the channel for the same price or lower who the hell is going to buy a new R8 V10? That's where I'm having the disconnect in terms of the R8 surviving.

Great car. But even without a recession I'd be concerned for it being profitable. With the recession, it, like everything else (F-cars and L-cars included) is doomed.

The NSX failing had nothing to do with power, it failed even before the F355 arrived, or the 993 911 for that matter.

Great car. But even without a recession I'd be concerned for it being profitable. With the recession, it, like everything else (F-cars and L-cars included) is doomed.

I disagree, the NSX was a slug, and failed because, despite its great handling, balance, reliability, it was boring. I can't say the same about the R8.

Yeah, a few wont make it thru this downturn. Too early to guess who at this point. Hopefully Lamborghini sales pick up, 35 US units per month will not cut it.

briankuk is just being factual if you ban people like him

it would be a mistake. just because someone doesn't agree with a moderators position?

briankuk is just being factual if you ban people like him

it would be a mistake. just because someone doesn't agree with a moderators position?

He won't be banned, he hasn't said anything worthy of a vacation.

But we've all been down this road so many times over the years that we see the signs. We're experts at knowing when someone is going to provoke a ban through their own emotional nonsense. :eusa_dance:

First the posts are factual. Then they get snippy (which his cute quote about the geniuses at Audi seems to be). Then the final step they always go down is a personal insult due to frustration...and then it's bye-bye, skippy.

He's fine in this thread, and a good poster in my opinion. I personally hope he doesn't go down the road that leads out the door.

You can do it Brian, we're all rooting for you champ! Don't be number 477 on our list! :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

You can do it Brian, we're all rooting for you champ! Don't be number 477 on our list! :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

Yeah Brian, I am counting on you, I am tired of carrying all the weight on this sub forum! Btw, feel free to invite some V10 owners over if run across any. I will personally introduce them to slowpoke. :icon_thumleft:

Yeah Brian, I am counting on you, I am tired of carrying all the weight on this sub forum! Btw, feel free to invite some V10 owners over if run across any. I will personally introduce them to slowpoke. :icon_thumleft:

:lol2: :icon_thumleft:

Just finished reading EVO magazine's review of the R10 versus the LP560 - they actually asked on here if anyone could supply a car... Anyway I thought I would add a few choice quotes from the article to provide a touch of balance to this thread, a third person's opinion if you like.

"There's a feeling that the new V10 engined R8 is one for the doubters. An R8 for those who still aren't convinced that Audi can build a truly great junior league supercar, despite the the praised heaped on the original V8 R8 and despite a display cabinet at Ingolstadt crammed with Le Mans winners trophies."

"The R8 is all the sensibilities and values of Audi moulded into the shape of a mid-engined supercar. A Brilliant car, but one more like the Honda NSX than an Italian exotic. The R8 V10 addresses that"

"...R8 V10 engine details... Of course, it is also adds a more intriguing exotic soundtrack, erupting into life with a lightly nasally whoop."

"When it arrives in the UK this summer the R8 V10 will cost £99,575, same as a 911 Turbo give or take a few floor mats"

"The only difference between their engines are the intakes and exhaust systems and mapping, the Audi could have the same 552bhp"

"Certainly the the V10 R8 is a more serious proposition than the V8, an R8 with the performance to lobby strongly for supercar status, but you only have to park it alongside the Gallardo to realise that doing the numbers is not nearly enough."

"Fire up the Lambo and you might think it is powered by a whole other V10. It catches with a thunderous outburst loaded with a with a fluty, off-beat yowl..."

"Is Audi Undermining its extrovert Italian? Is the R8 V10 a Gallardo on the cheap?"

"Despite its shortcomings, the Lambo is the much more desirable car, the true supercar."

"The R8 V10 takes Audi closer to Lamborghini territory but there's no threat: the two sit together in Audi's portfolio like olive oil and balsamic vinegar."

When the article comes available online I will post a link if this thread is still going.

Heh. I'll make sarcastic remarks all day long, but I don't care about cars enough to get angry with people about them and I hope others don't either. Just heaps of metal at the end of the day.

"Daaaaaaaamn, did you see that AUDI, wow, so cool" - Not going to happen!

Just go rent one already and report your findings. Geesh.

I've never owned an SL, but I can assure you that no one would even look twice at it. They wouldn't even notice it.

From where Im from, NO ONE pays any attention to the Audi, and the only people whom Ive seen driving them are douchebags in every sense of the word.

Lastly, the R8 cant hold a candle to the Gallardo from the most important standpoint....STYLE.... The Gallardo is wildly exotic, while the R8 looks like an overgrown TT. I had high hopes for theR8 at first. First hit was the price, second was when Ajglobal and I saw it at its introduction in AZ at Phoenix Motorsports Park and they had parked with the new Audi TT. Doomed from the gitgo. If it were 80K, id say it was worth it. Anymore than that...NO WAY

The Audi doesnt emit any passion inmo. Id take a 997TT let alone a Gallardo over one anyday.

Audi just isnt Honda/Acura. I think one of the main goals of the R8 4.2 was to be able to help change the image of audi so that the V10, and their future supercars would be able to sell. Audi couldnt just dump a R8 V10 or a 600 hp supercar onto the scene.

Another bit of food for thought. Just been speaking to a friend of mine that works for regional criminal intelligence in the South East of England. He mentioned how there has been a large number of aggressive entries on properties and TWOC (Taken Without Owners Consent) the common link? Audi RS4 and R8's.

Now factor that in along with some R8 owners losing roughly £30-35K+ ($40K) in the last 6 months or so now is not a brilliant time for the owners.

Not saying that Gallardo owners have had it easy but the perceived gulf between the two marques/cars is starting to show abit.

I've never owned an SL, but I can assure you that no one would even look twice at it. They wouldn't even notice it.

You are so stupid I want to slap you. Even Pantera would be pissed reading this.

You are so stupid I want to slap you. Even Pantera would be pissed reading this.

Wait a moment. Maybe I missed the idea here. I thought we were just making nonsensical, unsubstantiated statements.

Allow me to try again.

The SL blends in even when surrounded by 911's and 360's.

Wait a moment. Maybe I missed the idea here. I thought we were just making nonsensical, unsubstantiated statements.

Allow me to try again.

The SL blends in even when surrounded by 911's and 360's.

No matter where you live, even downtown London, you don't have 1/20th the exotic population that Orange County CA does. And even here, no G-car ever blends in.

Nah, I still want to slap you.

:eusa_naughty:

Ease up, bro. We wouldn't let anyone talk to you that way, so you gotta chill a tad.