Bringing a 924 back from the dead

Kerplop

4 days off, woke up bright and early this morning to make some progress. pics and info to come later.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok pics...

So basically the fuel filter was the culprit in my fuel hesitation, the car has no more "hesitation" so it wasn't the distributor advance afterall, although i got new vacuum line (see this thread here as i'm trying to figure out the routing w/o emissions) so that i can fix everything and get it running smoothly.

The car feels like it's missing at low rpms. Or running really rough. Once i get it up to what i'd say is about 2k rpms, she runs smooth as butter, strange.

Ok so pics... here's the old fuel filter

Tasty.

IMG_4868.jpg

The reason for the hesitation? Check out the color of the liquid hitting the newspaper, no, that isn't seethrough newspaper, yes, it's the same color as the work bench.

IMG_4869.jpg

Cut a new ring to fit in place of the old one as the old one was rusted to hell, fit like a glove.

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4871.jpg

Used my dremel and cleaned up all the fittings for all ends of the fuel filter

IMG_4872.jpg

new happy filter in place

IMG_4867.jpg

Pictures of the hatch progress to come later.

Oh by the way... this is the reason my hatch wouldn't close right in the first place. :P well... and the pins... oh and the locks... errrrr and the cushioning worn out where it holds it in place... and...

DSC_0322.jpg

(new bushing)

DSC_0323.jpg

- Fuel filter changed

- hatch fixed and locks fixed

- hatch now sealed/weatherproofed

- timing belt changed (that was a cakewalk, literally 20 minute job, what an easy design! love it!)

- more weight reduction (almost time to rust seal and carpet!)

- vacuum leaks troubleshot, new gaskets on the way to fix them

- car is running rich, more than likely due to vacuum leaks vs mixture and could be due to cold start injector...

pics to come later tomorrow.

Why is this thread here. This is Lambopower not rennsport resto............You are rebuilding the worst Porsche ever built.

Even 912/914/916 are faster and more interesting.

Am curious why you are posting here.........

Why is this thread here. This is Lambopower not rennsport resto............You are rebuilding the worst Porsche ever built.

Kinnsella this is like the 10th time Ive seen you TRASH on someones thread for no reason at all. What is your problem??? :confused:

He explained in the beginning WHY he wanted a 924...and told the whole story of HOW he ended up with this particular one. If you dont like the story and pics, CLICK "BACK" ON YOUR BROWSER AND DONT READ THIS THREAD. I (and apparently several other members as well) enjoy seeing stories like this, and its rare that someone takes the immense amount of time to collaborate the journey for us (with day by day explanations of the progress and PICS to see how far the project has came!).

Lastly, there are SUB-FORUMS on this site for a reason. This (being the PORSCHE SECTION) is one of them. How is a completely tech-related thread about the build and restoration of a PORSCHE out of place in this sub-forum? :jack:

If you ONLY want to see Lamborghini related topics, why dont you stick to the tech and individual model forums and leave the members who like to socialize (and have OTHER interests as well) alone??

Thank you again for posting the story and pics Derek. Seeing as how it was once a weed-bearing lawn ornanment, I for one look forward to seeing you bring that car completely back to life, and to do so gives you one heck of a great story to tell. :)

Thanks guys.

You can now add:

- Weight reduction on driver side done (passenger side is only side that remains)

- Distributor advance fine tuned (was a little off)

- Troubleshooting why it's running rough, pulled the plugs and it looks like it's running rich, but no crap coming out the exhaust, just "rough" could be carbon build up. Could also be related to the vacuum leaks and misreading.

- will be grinding down floorpan to remove all rust and sealing it and carpeting it once passenger side weight reduction is finished.

- Have some coolant leaks. Am going to literally be pulling it all apart again and will be glassbeading the intake manifold and pulling the rest of the "rusty" engine bay parts. All parts are functional internally and simply need external cleanup as they've been tested and work. This will be pretty in depth to do but will be dedicated to be done likely next weekend when i have some time. I have hoses on the way with new clamps to resolve the issues.

Checklist of things to make it run well:

- figure out the "rough issue" (vacuum leaks or buildup or ignition... easy cheesy)

- fix coolant leaks (fix some hoses and clamps and clean up those areas to ensure good seals)

From there it'll be wiring (oh god.... LOL)

I'll post up the pictures later tonight and snap a couple extras of the hatch fix. The other side is slowly but surely giving me crap so i'll have to do that side on the hatch soon, it'll work for now while i troubleshoot the bigger issues at hand.

Dude..leave the kid alone. This is the Porsche section and he is working his ass off on this car.

Derek, I grew up in the back of a 924. Back in 1979 my father purchased a white one (with the bbs like wheels) with tan interior, then about 4 months later he purchased the IDENTICAL car, to this day that baffles me as we had two identical cars in the driveway. Then in 1981 he purchased a 924 turbo (aka 931). I loved those cars as a kid and fit perfectly in the back seats, to this day I have a derivative of your car...

Abolfaz, that's a really cool story! It sounds like you and your father really enjoyed these cars. I'm glad it could bring back some fond memories :) So you still have one of them?

Abolfaz, that's a really cool story! It sounds like you and your father really enjoyed these cars. I'm glad it could bring back some fond memories :) So you still have one of them?

No, I don't have one of them, notice I said I have a derivative of your car. I would like to have another 924 one day, actually a carrera gt (not the mid engine car).

Ah i see now. Yeah i love the little Carrera GT versions though they are seemingly impossible to find. I have seen a turbo here locally but it was worse off than this car (RIP poor thing). You're talking the 937 right?

In college, I had a friend with a 924 automatic. I thought it was a race-car, becuase of the badge on the hood.

Damn how did I miss this thread, this is absolutely amazing man, I love when people bring cars from the dead, can't wait to see your progress on this, please keep us posted :)

Negative Nancy has arrived

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I laughed my ass off, thanks for the laugh :icon_mrgreen:

Parts on order:

Expansion Tank Cap, 924

Oil Drain Plug Seal

Oil Cap Seal

Oil Filler Cap

Front Hood Release Cable

Water Hose, Water Pump to Thermostat Housing

Water Hose, Water Pump to Water Pipe

Water Hose, Lower Radiator to Water Pump

Water Hose, Radiator to Water Pipe, 924

Water Hose, Thermostat Housing to Water Pipe

Mat: UM17 3705700 Standard Deck Mat

Oil Pan Gasket

Parts arrived:

Interior floor matting

Interior floor matting adhesive

Porsche 944 Console

Extra order of SS Bolts for misc interior and engine applications

More Fuel Pieces (too many to list)

More Tools arrived:

Industrial grinder with several wire wheels

Sealant (to ensure this car never has rust issues ever again)

More gapping tools

More feeler gauges (for valves)

More chisels (broke one)

More prep materials

More progress. All the parts came today! Except the stupid deck piece....

Well. Today I got almost all of my parts here. I found out I'm going to need some more after giving a more thorough look over my cooling system. The radiator is good. The hoses are /okay/ but need replaced, and all of the clamps were crap. Hoses are a check, clamps are a check, the seals and gaskets are a check. The main problem as i started undoing hoses and checking things to replace them was the big metal tubes that are attached to parts of the system. While the engine didn't actually pass any rust in the coolant flush and it's doing a fabulous job cooling, these parts of the system are rusted to hell on the inside just because the engine never once moved and circulated over the 10 year span. So quite literally where the coolant sat these things just sat and rusted. Thank god it didn't circulate. I checked and checked and checked, everything seems to be okay. So I will be replacing all the cooling tubes soon.

However... because I did make some decent progress today, i'm posting away.

The trunk is ready to finish stripping and seal for the deck lid that is coming. For those who did not get to see the back of the car when I got it, here is a horrific idea of what it looked like.

First, here's the carpeted piece of the back. The white you see on the spare tire area is not a reflection, that is... well.. mold. So are the rest of the "Spots"

IMG_4366.jpg

Don't forget that the hatch wouldn't open at first, then wouldn't close... and why

IMG_4363.jpg

Some of you might remember the progress on before and after with the rear seats. (oh yeah dude, that's mold!)

IMG_4374.jpg

IMG_4379.jpg

So here we go.... I bring you the thus far progress of stripping it down to the pan and bare metal. In just in general stripping out all of the sound deadening, and "convenience" materials. I started tearing up the entire back of the car. Pulled everything out, stripped it down. Armed with chisels, screwdrivers, a BFH and whatever else I could muster up to use to get the job done.

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_4768.jpg

And more...

DSC_0315.jpg

And even more....

DSC_0316.jpg

Then moved onto the drivers side

IMG_4767.jpg

Then started coming all of the sound deadening and rubber guards inside. Nothing that was good about them, they aren't "Guarding" anything, just holding moisture making the car rust.

DSC_0317.jpg

Then the wire wheel came out. Keep in mind the reddish brown you see there is not rust, but the glue from the material which will need to be stripped away before i lay down carpet.

IMG_4762.jpg

The back was finally ready for the wire wheel today after finishing up the last bit.

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0250.jpg

And finally ready. Now to strip the crap off and get the new deck section installed. Should be here in the next few days.

DSC_0251.jpg

But that's not all the progress today. You see, I had this problem with the hood cable. It was starting to stick which scared me. I'm not sure how many of you have ever owned a motorbike of any kind and had a throttle or clutch cable snap, but it sucks ass. It isn't a gradual "Hey by the way i'm gonna go ahead and break sometime later." but just decides to go. At the chance of not being able to open my hood i just ordered a new cable entirely. Came with a new handle, the whole bit.

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

Pretty.

DSC_0242.jpg

Why would it stick might you ask? Well... after I removed it I took a picture.

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

After inspecting the cooling system I started replacing some of the hoses ahead of time just so i was a step ahead, i'll still need to replace the tubes of course, but at least the hoses are in place and i can toss the crap ones.

Yuck.

DSC_0243.jpg

Check out the coolant tube, yum!

DSC_0245.jpg

Definitely needs replaced.

DSC_0247.jpg

Hoses are great! But rusty tubes, not so much.... a clean coolant system is a happy coolant system. On the ingredients list are some coolant and water wetter and rust prevention additives.

I would like to add to make sure you wear eye protection when using a wire wheel. Especially the medium sized wire wheels, the small metal strands are prone to breaking off if they encounter a brief and momentary disruption if they are frayed or bent. I had the pleasure of one of them breaking off at about 10,000 rpms and embedding itself straight into my shin. I thought "Glad that wasn't my eye!" Ouch.

PS If anyone knows of any of the tubes for sale for the coolant or has some spares that aren't rusted let me know! Part #s 047 121 073 and 047 121 073A.

Yeah. Trying to see if anyone has any laying around or to see if i can fabricate some rather than spending $300 worth of pipe. Might be something i can have fabricated that will last longer and hold up better.