Progress pictures of Alex's Superleggera build

The engine build:

As usual, the engine was bored out and had steel cylinder liners installed as well as a set of Carrillo connecting rods and CP pistons. All of these parts are proprietary to Heffner Performance. Below are pictures to show the differences between the stock rods and pistons and the Heffner / Carrillo rods and the Heffner / CP pistons:

DSC02456.JPG

DSC02457.JPG

As well as adding significant strength to the rotating assembly this combination also lowers the compression ratio to get it ready to handle lots of boost.

DSC01779.JPG

DSC01780.JPG

DSC01781.JPG

Once this is done the engine is completely reassembled and installed in the car.

DSC02354.JPG.

I will post some more pictures after lunch.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:icon_thumleft:

:eusa_naughty:

:lol2:

Heffner cars=great build, huge power, lots of reliability, Large investment

DLM cars=great build, good power, has been tested on MANY cars to be reliable, Low cost to owner.

Both are good for those who meet the target audience.

DLM can also do the same type of build if requested. :icon_thumleft:

:eusa_naughty:

:lol2:

Heffner cars=great build, huge power, lots of reliability, Large investment

DLM cars=great build, good power, has been tested on MANY cars to be reliable, Low cost to owner.

Both are good for those who meet the target audience.

DLM can also do the same type of build if requested. :icon_thumleft:

Many cars is questionable... There is a reason why Doug would also prefer to build the motors.... and i would add larger risk to owner @ or above higher power levels.. I do believe @ 600-700hp should be fine with low boost.

Many cars is questionable... There is a reason why Doug would also prefer to build the motors.... and i would add larger risk to owner @ or above higher power levels.. I do believe @ 600-700hp should be fine with low boost.

Not in comparison to the 70 or more that Jason has built I am sure, but I have personally been in 3 DLM built cars-many times each (1 Murci Roadster TT, 1 TT Murcie Coupe, 1 TTG) and my 4th (TTG) will be this week. None of them have had ANY issues at low boost or high boost while I have been in or around them related to them being turbo cars. That includes rough driving at high boost from Miami to Naples and Back. Not sure how many DLM has built, but I would assume more than 10.

Larger risk if you want to push it=yes. Would Doug rather build it if you want to push it? I am sure he would. The bolt on kit is a different kit for a different customer. That is why Kisco will be sending his back in the future to get a happy faced piston. :icon_thumleft: :lol2:

Looked to me as if Roland's car is holding up just fine, and we both know that car was making over 700 rwhp at the air strip event. :icon_butt:

Yes, a built motor is better for reliability, I agree with you there. That is most likely to come, my good friend Allan..:D

I say "most likely" because there will be no needf for it if I can have a 700 rwhp Gallardo that is very reliable. I am not out to break any records. Just out to have fun... :icon_thumleft:

Not in comparison to the 70 or more that Jason has built I am sure, but I have personally been in 3 DLM built cars-many times each (1 Murci Roadster TT, 1 TT Murcie Coupe, 1 TTG) and my 4th (TTG) will be this week. None of them have had ANY issues at low boost or high boost while I have been in or around them related to them being turbo cars. That includes rough driving at high boost from Miami to Naples and Back. Not sure how many DLM has built, but I would assume more than 10.

Larger risk if you want to push it=yes. Would Doug rather build it if you want to push it? I am sure he would. The bolt on kit is a different kit for a different customer. That is why Kisco will be sending his back in the future to get a happy faced piston. :icon_thumleft: :lol2:

But the Roadster is gone. Anyways.. not saying anything bad about DLM, just saying in general for higher boost need to build the motor as its only a matter of time.. Anyways.. as I said my car will most likely run 99.99% of its life on pump gas @ around 850rwhp... Anyone who tells you that @ over 1000rwhp your arent breaking alot of things is lying...

The turbo system:

The turbo system for the most part starts out as high qhality stainless steel mandrel bent tubing.

DSC02458.JPG

The mandrel bends are then cut, sanded, fit into a fixture and welded together to make the parts.

DSC02451.JPG

DSC02452.JPG

All parts are TIG welded and filled with argon gas during the welding process which is known as purge welding. Purging the pipes makes a nice looking, strong weld inside and out.

DSC02453.JPG

Once the parts are all welded together they get sent out for different treatments.

The cold side piping can be either polished or powdercoated:

DSC02459.JPG

The hot side parts are ceramic coated. They can be done in a number of colors. The shiny silver finish is the most common but for this car we decided to do something a little different.

DSC02460.JPG

We thought the black finish might duit this car a bit better because it looks a bit more "race car".

DSC02461.JPG

More to come......

Looks incredible!! Nice job, Jason. I love the blacked out look!!

Make sure to powdercoat Allan's piping to his favorite color though...pussy pink. :icon_mrgreen: