Massa hit by part from Barrichello's car

sprite

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was very lucky to suffer just a scull fracture. This could be much worse.

Yes, the result of a direct impact with the heavy spring which had just detached from the rear of Barrichello's Brawn.

The young Surtees was recently killed when struck in similar fashion with an errant wheel.

Its very fortunate that Massa escaped severe injury.

The replay on Speed was incredible. Looks like he was on both gas and brake before he crashed. And at the moment of impact the G meter read FIVE G'S! 20 years ago he would have been killed, safety has come a long way!

The latest Ferrari press release reads:

'Felipe Massa has undergone surgery this afternoon at the AEK hospital in Budapest and the outcome of the procedure was positive. Now, Felipe will remain under observation in intensive care. An update on his condition will be issued late tomorrow morning.'

The replay on Speed was incredible. Looks like he was on both gas and brake before he crashed. And at the moment of impact the G meter read FIVE G'S! 20 years ago he would have been killed, safety has come a long way!

The g meter on the screen pegged at 5 g upon impact, but in all likelyhood, at the moment of impact it was probably closer to 30 or 40 g. And yes, 20 years ago he would definitely have been killed.

The g meter on the screen pegged at 5 g upon impact, but in all likelyhood, at the moment of impact it was probably closer to 30 or 40 g. And yes, 20 years ago he would definitely have been killed.

Thats what I figured as well, that it pegged. HAD to be more than 5

Crazy stuff. I think he'll be alright though... we can only hope so...

I just found out! I'm shocked. As some of you may know, Felipe is my favorite F1 driver, and I wish him all the best and hope he recovers soon and goes back racing. I was out all day with the family celebrating my birthday, that this happens today has spoiled an otherwise perfect day, I just hope he makes it through everything without problems. My thoughts are with his family, this can't be an easy time!

I just found out! I'm shocked. As some of you may know, Felipe is my favorite F1 driver, and I wish him all the best and hope he recovers soon and goes back racing. I was out all day with the family celebrating my birthday, that this happens today has spoiled an otherwise perfect day, I just hope he makes it through everything without problems. My thoughts are with his family, this can't be an easy time!

Happy B-Day!

Happy Birthday!!

hope massa is alright..although i don't watch F1..

Thanks boys! Massa is okay, BTW. He had a CT this morning that was very positive but was returned to an induced coma to aid his recovery.

Details from the accident investigation say that the spring that hit him first struck the car right before the cockpit, then the side of the car that protects a drivers head from side impacts, and finally, it hit Felipe on the side of the helmet above his left eyebrow.

It's absolutely incredible that the spring still had enough energy to cause that much damage after such dissipating forces acted upon it prior to the final impact.

Cheers all!

From the onboard video it looked like the spring made a direct hit on massa's helmet. It is possible that it glanced off of the bodywork but that would have done little to slow it down. Remember, Massa was probably traveling about 170 mph at that instant so even if the spring was bouncing along at some slow forward speed, it still was a very severe impact. A 2 lb. object moving at say 150 mph has quite a bit of kinetic energy and could have easily killed Massa. I'm still wondering when exactly did the spring come off Barrichello's car, and how far behind was Massa. I have a feeling that spring was bounding along the straightaway for quite a while. It was definitely a freak accident.

It glanced off the Ferrari's bodywork and then struck him. It was a rear center spring that they use to keep the ride height stable at high speed.

His helmet is carbon fiber and the lense he uses is bullet proof. They are saying he has eye damage, though they are not sure how severe. It is unlikely he will race again this year, I suspect it's 50/50 whether he ever drives an F1 car again. He may have minor brain damage and possible eye damage.

Rumors are swirling about who will fill his seat - Schumacher, or one of the 2 back up Ferrari drivers. Boudaris is a possibility as well, his manager Todt, is also Massa's and has very close ties to Ferrari.

Looks pretty bad. You can imagine how severe the impact must have been by the fact that parts of the spring went through his helmet.

Barrichello didn't notice anything was missing?

Looks pretty bad. You can imagine how severe the impact must have been by the fact that parts of the spring went through his helmet.

Barrichello didn't notice anything was missing?

Barrichello did slow down as the car lost ride height at speed. He did not make it out of Quali 2.

It glanced off the Ferrari's bodywork and then struck him. It was a rear center spring that they use to keep the ride height stable at high speed.

His helmet is carbon fiber and the lense he uses is bullet proof. They are saying he has eye damage, though they are not sure how severe. It is unlikely he will race again this year, I suspect it's 50/50 whether he ever drives an F1 car again. He may have minor brain damage and possible eye damage.

Rumors are swirling about who will fill his seat - Schumacher, or one of the 2 back up Ferrari drivers. Boudaris is a possibility as well, his manager Todt, is also Massa's and has very close ties to Ferrari.

Some are saying Alonso will take the seat....

I feel so bad for Massa, he has a kid on the way, and he has always been a good guy, and a great ambassador for F1. I hope he races again.

Some are saying Alonso will take the seat....

I feel so bad for Massa, he has a kid on the way, and he has always been a good guy, and a great ambassador for F1. I hope he races again.

The rumour is Alonso will get Raikonnen's seat next year and Raikonnen may be headed back to Mc Laren.

Horrible story I hope he makes a full recovery, not a fan of him as a driver, but he seems like a decent person.

Latest scan says that everything is A-OK! He's wide awake and talking, and now out of the life-threatening phase of recovery. Doctors say that he'll make A FULL RECOVERY and that the next few days will tell weather his left eye took any serious irreparable damage, but things are looking good for the moment.

I agree on the Kimi thing, there's no way Ferrari's gonna get rid of Massa. Kimi just looks demoralized and hasn't really done anything worth mentioning since he won the WC.

Alonso will surely be in a Ferrari next year, along Massa.

The rumour is Alonso will get Raikonnen's seat next year and Raikonnen may be headed back to Mc Laren.

Horrible story I hope he makes a full recovery, not a fan of him as a driver, but he seems like a decent person.

I've heard Kimi is going to WRC? He has lost the passion, but when he wants to he is still one of the best drivers on the grid. You know whats weird is I was thinking Kimi and Lewis would probably make a good team.

As a McLaren fan I cannot wait to see Alonso ruin Ferrari with his bitching.