Guns

OVI

So many laws need to be reformed. We're still not allowed to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol here. Welcome to NO-hio.

Im allowed to carry in restaurants, but not bars, and I cant drink and carry.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im allowed to carry in restaurants, but not bars, and I cant drink and carry.

We haven't made the distinction between a bar/tavern and a restaurant yet. I'm hoping they will get it right in the next legislative session! :crybaby2:

Would love to join the discussion - went out today with a friend to look at some pistols and rifles.

I would like to just learn how to shoot first, and I heard you should start with a rifle, but honestly I would like to just have a pistol that I shoot with, I am not really sure about CC, being 24 I don't think I want to yet.

What is a good beginner gun - reliable, cheap rounds, easy maintenance. The glocks I looked at were $350-500 used, H&K 500-650 used, I don't think I want to spend over $450 for my first gun - are there any choices at this price range?

Thanks

Hollywood/ Beverly Hills is very difficult right now.... Id be happy to discuss it more with you if youd like.

Yes that would be very helpful. I'll PM you.

Would love to join the discussion - went out today with a friend to look at some pistols and rifles.

I would like to just learn how to shoot first, and I heard you should start with a rifle, but honestly I would like to just have a pistol that I shoot with, I am not really sure about CC, being 24 I don't think I want to yet.

What is a good beginner gun - reliable, cheap rounds, easy maintenance. The glocks I looked at were $350-500 used, H&K 500-650 used, I don't think I want to spend over $450 for my first gun - are there any choices at this price range?

Thanks

I spent $450 on a brand new S&W 9mm. Hit the range for the first time yesterday. It performed well, but the shots were pulling slightly to the right. I need to see if there was something wrong with my aim, or if there is something wrong with the gun.

Thanks

Rifle shooting and pistol shooting are really quite different.... So start with the platform youre more likely to use and want to shoot.

Glock is a good gun to start with- Inexpensive- well made, simple operation.

I would find and take a good gun safety or CCW class before I bought one.

Thanks

I highly recommend you go through the CCW process. Whether you arm up in the morning will still be up to you but you will receive a good safety/legal training in the classes and get some exposure to different weapons. I am 21 and have a CCW - it is never too early! (Well, unless you're not 21 yet, according to the law!) I don't think the bad guys care if you're "only 24" or not. I carry a subcompact .380 every day.

I'm with RomanDad on the Glock for a first gun. They're incredibly reliable and all Glocks operate the same way. If you bought a nice Glock 19 (9MM) you could afford to shoot it often and it'd make a good defense gun as well. I'm looking into a Glock right now myself.

Damn!!!.....Where's the war!!!???

lol

LOL......C'mon man I live in Kentucky. Aren't we always at war?

I spent $450 on a brand new S&W 9mm. Hit the range for the first time yesterday. It performed well, but the shots were pulling slightly to the right. I need to see if there was something wrong with my aim, or if there is something wrong with the gun.

In addition, try different ammunition.

Different companies, grains, bullets (type of bullets), cases, and weight of powder will all demonstrate different results. If you want the (very best results), you will eventually have to reload your own ammunition.

Of course, that is probably only a good idea, if you want to spend a lot of time and money with weapons. Reloading is also much more economical.

All ammo performs differently, with each individual weapon.

This is generally the best factory handgun ammunition available:

http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=894

They also sell superb reloadable bullets and cases.

Good luck with your new S/W

Thanks

my advice:

1) find a local gun store to hold and feel a variety of pistols

2)choose a pistol that you feel comfortable with

3)do some research on local firearms ranges that may have that gun as a rental and try it out

some pistols come in different calibers (personally i wouldnt go anything lower than a 9mm) so choose exactly what you feel comfortable handling.

ALWASE ALWASE ALWASE get training, theres no such thing as too much training.

In addition, try different ammunition.

Different companies, grains, bullets (type of bullets), cases, and weight of powder will all demonstrate different results. If you want the (very best results), you will eventually have to reload your own ammunition.

Of course, that is probably only a good idea, if you want to spend a lot of time and money with weapons. Reloading is also much more economical.

All ammo performs differently, with each individual weapon.

This is generally the best factory handgun ammunition available:

http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=894

They also sell superb reloadable bullets and cases.

Good luck with your new S/W

Thanks brotha. I used 2 kinds of bullets at the range. both with slightly different results. Next time I will buy the good shit and see what happens.

Carreaper, how do you like the FAL? I'm looking at getting another rifle, just because - either a SIG 556 or an FAL. Also maybe an AR lower just incase the AWB goes back into effect, I have some buying power.

And is that an aftermarket safety on your SIG? How's that?

Where do you guys buy your guns? Online or retailer? I might be able to afford something, but it depends on the price. Either a shotgun or handgun (like Springfield XD 40). I am aware of the price difference.

Rawr,

For a first time shooter and if you are looking at a hand gun instead of a rifle or shotgun, i'd suggest going with a revolver instead of a semi-auto hand gun. The reason being they are easier to operate, more intuitive and easier to visualize the function, i.e. the hammer goes back, you pull the trigger the hammer falls and a shot is discharged, or pulling the trigger the hammer goes back and falls and the shot is discharged. A semi-auto can be more intimidating to a first time shooter and if nervous, more mistakes can happen, i.e accidental discharge, forgetting the thing is ready to fire after the first shot is done, etc. This is only MY opinion, and i'm sure others have differing opinions, but until you are comfortable handling a fire-arm, the simpler the action, the better off you will be, AND the more fun you will have.

For sure for sure do a fire-arms safety class, CCW class, or even a hunter's safety course, before you purchase a weapon. It will be time well spent!

Where do you guys buy your guns? Online or retailer? I might be able to afford something, but it depends on the price. Either a shotgun or handgun (like Springfield XD 40). I am aware of the price difference.

If possible you may want to try some of the different gun shops in your local area. I'm lucky in that my local shop, the owner is super nice and very knowledgeable and is very happy to answer any questions I have. He's also very involved in our local shooting club. So a local shop can be great resource to purchase something.

However, the last gun I purchased was online as my local shop didn't have what I was looking for. The process can be somewhat cumbersome, depending on your state, but for my state, I purchased the gun online, that shop shipped the gun to a local federally licensed fire-arms dealer, who then processed the federal paperwork for the purchase. So, if you buy online, check out the procedure before you purchase, so that you have your delivery arrangements all set up. I'm not sure if we are supposed to post other commercial sites, even gun sites, on here, so if you'd like PM me and I'll give you the online dealers info. If the mods are ok with me posting the info in the thread, I'd be happy to do so as well. I purchased one of these online and the transaction was smooth and easy.

Beretta--90-TWOsv.jpg

I know a guy....
Actually, I do as well. But I'm not sure if what he sells is hot or not and I don't want to risk it. Tempting prices though...

Thanks, Blylek. Are prices for guns usually about the same online or retail? I live in a small town with no real gun shop. The closest one is almost 2 hours away.

Actually, I do as well. But I'm not sure if what he sells is hot or not and I don't want to risk it. Tempting prices though...

Thanks, Blylek. Are prices for guns usually about the same online or retail? I live in a small town with no real gun shop. The closest one is almost 2 hours away.

Pretty much depends on the local shop. With my shop the prices are usually a bit higher than what I see online, but sometimes the local shop will offer other perks and discounts on accessories, ammo, etc.

Carreaper, how do you like the FAL? I'm looking at getting another rifle, just because - either a SIG 556 or an FAL. Also maybe an AR lower just incase the AWB goes back into effect, I have some buying power.

And is that an aftermarket safety on your SIG? How's that?

my Sig is a .22 Mosquito, and its stock, so i am not sure i understand your question.

i freaking love old Fals, i have ..... " a few " of them in different flavors ( variations).

i would definately get one. stay away from Fals with Enterprise, Hesse or Coonan receivers.

Century arms and Imbel are great.

DSA is the king of Fal semi auto receivers. all of mine have been converted to semi auto and have the correct 922r BATF parts added for Compliance.

to me the old vintage Fals with the bare minimum semi auto parts are better than the ones that look "new" 2 of these are from 1958!

i highly recommend the falfiles message board. i am a member there too .

post-3289-1253488517_thumb.jpg

I bought my Glock 26 today and put 50 rounds through it at the range immediately after. Below is the grouping at 20 feet with my first twenty rounds. I like it a lot!

In other news, I was introduced to the Sig P238 today. What a deep concealment option. I'd love to pick one up to replace my LCP down the road.

post-10945-1253499267_thumb.jpg