Best Exercise to cut body fat/Gain Muscle

pockmark

After jasons stretching lecture, I stretched before, during and after last Wednesday during my workout. Didn't help the soreness too much. I'm sure I'll be sore again after Wednesday of this week

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After jasons stretching lecture, I stretched before, during and after last Wednesday during my workout. Didn't help the soreness too much. I'm sure I'll be sore again after Wednesday of this week

are you taking vit C? 3 grams a day helps with soreness and recovery.

If you want something to help with soreness and recovery try Glutamine. Glutamine is an amino acid that can quickly become depleted during muscle breakdown. It aides in all forms of recovery, even after operations. If I'm doing a heavy lifting day I take it ~30 minutes before and post workout as well. You can buy it in powder and mix it in with your protein.

Yeah' What he said....

It definetely helps you recover faster than usual, no doubts about it. Not to mention prevent "degeneration" of muscles & helps maintain em . Glutamine is a must in my book of must have supplements... The others being Creatine and Aminos....

UGGGGGGGGGHHHHH.

My rotator cuff in my right arm bothered me ALL DAY yesterday. A little background on it is that it has always been partially torn, and bothers me if I sleep on it wrong. I woke up this morning and it was still bothering me. I am going to wait until tomorrow to go to the gym.

I have the exact same problem! I just go real easy on the shoulder exercises now.

I hate dieting though keeping the calories under 2000 is a real pain when you enjoy eating as much as I do LOL

Started doing HIIT (High-intensity interval training). I have read a lot about it, and it seems to be the best way to burn fat, while keeping muscle. It also only takes 20 minutes per session. I am going to try to do HIIT 3 days a week, and hit the gym 3 days a week for a couple of months now.

I have the exact same problem! I just go real easy on the shoulder exercises now.

I hate dieting though keeping the calories under 2000 is a real pain when you enjoy eating as much as I do LOL

Dieting is really tough for me to. The biggest thing for me is to not overeat, no sodas, no beers (REALLY hard during football season) and no sweets. I broke my rule of not weighing myself today. I have lost a total of 7.2 lbs as of this morning. Not bad, and not too far off my 1st month goals of 10lbs being that I havent gone past the 2nd real week of training.

Started doing HIIT (High-intensity interval training). I have read a lot about it, and it seems to be the best way to burn fat, while keeping muscle. It also only takes 20 minutes per session. I am going to try to do HIIT 3 days a week, and hit the gym 3 days a week for a couple of months now.

You better get in shape for Miami brotha! Haha.

Really starting to see some results now with regards to my stomach which is awesome. Need to do MORE CARDIO!

You better get in shape for Miami brotha! Haha.

I'll try :D

Really starting to see some results now with regards to my stomach which is awesome. Need to do MORE CARDIO!

Good stuff man! Keep it up. :icon_thumleft:

Question:

I've been reading that losing 1-2 lbs/week is the maximum safe amount of weight loss. Anything more is considered "dangerous" and will result in bouncing back. Is this true?

Trying to set goals and map out some sort of battle strategy for losing weight.

Typically, those that take off a huge amount of weight quickly find themselves yo-yoing up and down.

A slow, methodical weight loss is both safe and will probable result in a lifestyle change that will be lifelong.

Question:

I've been reading that losing 1-2 lbs/week is the maximum safe amount of weight loss. Anything more is considered "dangerous" and will result in bouncing back. Is this true?

Trying to set goals and map out some sort of battle strategy for losing weight.

Correct, but when you start off, you typically will lose more and then plateau at about 2lbs a week. I expect to lose way more than 10 lbs. the first month, and then less after that. Maybe like 15 lbs. month 1, 10 lbs.- month 2, 5 lbs. month 3.

The challenge is that I am gaining muscle mass as well as losing body fat.

Correct, but when you start off, you typically will lose more and then plateau at about 2lbs a week. I expect to lose way more than 10 lbs. the first month, and then less after that. Maybe like 15 lbs. month 1, 10 lbs.- month 2, 5 lbs. month 3.

The challenge is that I am gaining muscle mass as well as losing body fat.

That sounds much more encouraging than what I was reading!

Mike. UPDATE?

As of 2 days ago, I have lost 7.2 lbs. and gained some muscle mass especially in my lats and abs. My target area is my lower body, abdomen, foreceps, and shoulders. My typical areas of rapid growth in the past are my traps, and my triceps. I am down to 230.6 lbs. Belly has shrunk considerably. Need to do more cardio to get past this plateau.

I had to miss one day this week due to clients, but I doubled up yesterday. I did Chest/Triceps/Lower Body. My legs have the feeling that they will be sore tomorrow (not as bad as last week), so I may do 30 minutes of jogging today to try and suppress that a little.

I have been super hungry lately.

Eat clean+more meals per day. You will be fine. Believe me, I can eat a whole buffet, and it has worked for me.

There's no magic formula. Eat more cleanly, cut out significant amounts of carbs (ESPECIALLY in the second half of the day), work out CONSISTENTLY, without missing workouts, and make every workout COUNT.

Supplement-wise, I'm not much of a fan of "whiz-bang, this will make you ripped in 3 days!!" bullshit. All this nitric oxide stuff is primarily horseshit. I'm more a fan of support for basic nutrition and health, and the additional support that you need if you're training hard:

-- Fish oil (good brands are Carlson, Nordic Naturals). www.vitacost.com is a good place to get them, or vitaminshoppe.com if they're on sale there. Take 4,000 to 6,000 mg per day of COMBINED DHA/EPA (look at the label). Yes it's a lot, yes it's expensive, but it's SO worth it in SO many ways!

-- Protein powder -- because if you're working out you DO need more protein to fuel and build your muscles. You should be getting around 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. Straight whey is best for your post-workout shake, as it's fast-acting, but for taking at other times of the day a whey/micellar casein blend is best, as it's more slow-releasing. Good brands are Biotest (www.tmuscle.com), Twinlab, Optimum Nutrition, AST Sports Science, Labrada. Most can be found at www.bodybuilding.com, or prosource.net, or Vitamin Shoppe.

-- Vitamin D3. In GEL CAP form only! Research is finding that most of us don't get nearly enough (take about 4,000 IU / day) and it's SO essential/helpful in SO many ways.

-- Eat enough veggies! Greens are important because they keep your body alkalized; if you don't get enough you'll be in too acidic a state, which is not healthy and not conducive to building muscle. If you're not getting enough, supplement with something like Greens+. The Wild Berry Burst flavor tastes great!

-- Pre-workout -- Coffee or espresso can sometimes do the trick for a quick jolt. It only lasts so long though, and you might crash mid-workout, especially if you're doing long cardio. On a whole other level for kick-ass, smart pre-workout energy / strength / endurance is LightSpeed. LOOOONG-lasting, smoooooth energy, and not too big a stimulant kick either. I know it's available on their own site, www.lightspeedlabs.com , and maybe at www.ProSource.net too (?). Not sure if it's in stores.

-- Take a good zinc/magnesium supplement if you're not already. ZMA (which is a patented formula that many brands sell) is a simple and highly effective way to go. Pretty inexpensive too.

Oh, and GET ENOUGH SLEEP! Shoot for at least 8 hours a night. YES, it really matters! Deep REM sleep is when your growth hormone is primarily released, and GH keeps you LEAN. With sub-optimal GH (and testosterone levels -- sleep is also important for that) you'll have a really hard time getting lean.

one other item I would add on the nutritional level is pure, non iodized salt. What? Salt?

Himalayan salt from the (you guest it) Himalayans is best. Why? This pure salt has over 60 micro nutrients that are no longer found in everyday food. This salt is pure, and retains its natural minerals that were once found in rich soils and then found within the food it grew in. But over years, and years of soil degeneration, the rich nutrients that were once found within are no longer there.

This sea salt's micro nutrients are quickly absorbed into the body. Unlike most multivitamins that have some of these micro-nutrients, absorbtion into the body can either be retarded or passed through without absorption.

So, I salt my food. Plus, the added benefit is, if you sweat, you are replacing the sodium you are losing. And, for endurance athletes, this is vital for muscle stabilization and cramp prevention.

There's no magic formula. Eat more cleanly, cut out significant amounts of carbs (ESPECIALLY in the second half of the day), work out CONSISTENTLY, without missing workouts, and make every workout COUNT.

Supplement-wise, I'm not much of a fan of "whiz-bang, this will make you ripped in 3 days!!" bullshit. All this nitric oxide stuff is primarily horseshit. I'm more a fan of support for basic nutrition and health, and the additional support that you need if you're training hard:

-- Fish oil (good brands are Carlson, Nordic Naturals). www.vitacost.com is a good place to get them, or vitaminshoppe.com if they're on sale there. Take 4,000 to 6,000 mg per day of COMBINED DHA/EPA (look at the label). Yes it's a lot, yes it's expensive, but it's SO worth it in SO many ways!

-- Protein powder -- because if you're working out you DO need more protein to fuel and build your muscles. You should be getting around 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. Straight whey is best for your post-workout shake, as it's fast-acting, but for taking at other times of the day a whey/micellar casein blend is best, as it's more slow-releasing. Good brands are Biotest (www.tmuscle.com), Twinlab, Optimum Nutrition, AST Sports Science, Labrada. Most can be found at www.bodybuilding.com, or prosource.net, or Vitamin Shoppe.

-- Vitamin D3. In GEL CAP form only! Research is finding that most of us don't get nearly enough (take about 4,000 IU / day) and it's SO essential/helpful in SO many ways.

-- Eat enough veggies! Greens are important because they keep your body alkalized; if you don't get enough you'll be in too acidic a state, which is not healthy and not conducive to building muscle. If you're not getting enough, supplement with something like Greens+. The Wild Berry Burst flavor tastes great!

-- Pre-workout -- Coffee or espresso can sometimes do the trick for a quick jolt. It only lasts so long though, and you might crash mid-workout, especially if you're doing long cardio. On a whole other level for kick-ass, smart pre-workout energy / strength / endurance is LightSpeed. LOOOONG-lasting, smoooooth energy, and not too big a stimulant kick either. I know it's available on their own site, www.lightspeedlabs.com , and maybe at www.ProSource.net too (?). Not sure if it's in stores.

-- Take a good zinc/magnesium supplement if you're not already. ZMA (which is a patented formula that many brands sell) is a simple and highly effective way to go. Pretty inexpensive too.

Oh, and GET ENOUGH SLEEP! Shoot for at least 8 hours a night. YES, it really matters! Deep REM sleep is when your growth hormone is primarily released, and GH keeps you LEAN. With sub-optimal GH (and testosterone levels -- sleep is also important for that) you'll have a really hard time getting lean.

Thanks for the tips! Every little bit helps! :icon_thumleft:

No problem. Best of luck to you! :icon_thumleft:

PS: Oh, and great workout music makes a WORLD of difference too. :headbang:

I have to get a clip for my iphone, and better earplugs. Any recommendations for those who use theirs in the gym?

I like Sony earbuds. They sound better than the standard issue iPod earbuds (they have much greater frequency range) and they fit inside your ears a lot more firmly, so they really isolate the sound in your ears better. I don't personally like having any kind of headphones with a big contraption going over my head, or the big plastic hooks that go behind your ear. I like minimal physical interference with my head/body, so the little earbud-style ones are perfect, and the Sony's sound awesome.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218008398563

I have to get a clip for my iphone, and better earplugs. Any recommendations for those who use theirs in the gym?

great info, thx

BSN atro-phex works good for my pre-workout energy.

Peter would have been a great help with this topic :(

great info, thx

BSN atro-phex works good for my pre-workout energy.

Peter would have been a great help with this topic :(

:crybaby2: :crybaby2:

I was thinking about that the other day.