Best Exercise to cut body fat/Gain Muscle

pockmark

Funny thing is that i have always done the same thing too. I quit cigarettes, and tell myself oh I will just have a cigar when I drink, and start back up. How difficult was it for you?

No it's been easy once I realized that I cannot smoke anything. For the first month there were a few times I'd want one, but if you can resist the temptation the cravings go away quickly. I think once you get to a certain point, at least it's this with me now, I smell cigarette smoke much better than I used too and it makes me want to start back up even less. When you consider the health benefits in addition to this, it's a nobrainer.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely cold turk on the smoking. You cant tease yourself with cigars etc, etc. If you have will-power, cold turkey is not so bad. After the first 21 days, it really starts getting easy. By then, you're already unlearning the habits.

You just have to stay committed.

Once you start working out and running, and seeing how much not smoking helps, it will definitely be alot more motivation to stop for good. You'll be like "man, a cigarette would be nice but fcuk that because I dont want to get winded on my daily runs"

Definitely cold turk on the smoking. You cant tease yourself with cigars etc, etc. If you have will-power, cold turkey is not so bad. After the first 21 days, it really starts getting easy. By then, you're already unlearning the habits.

You just have to stay committed.

Once you start working out and running, and seeing how much not smoking helps, it will definitely be alot more motivation to stop for good. You'll be like "man, a cigarette would be nice but fcuk that because I dont want to get winded on my daily runs"

I know this is VERY strange, but I actually REALLY crave cigarrettes after a workout too. Not sure why, but it is almost as strong as my cravings while drinking.

I know this is VERY strange, but I actually REALLY crave cigarrettes after a workout too. Not sure why, but it is almost as strong as my cravings while drinking.

Not enough cardio then.

Go run a hill or swim and you won't. Trust me.

3 weeks today for me.

Not enough cardio then.

Go run a hill or swim and you won't. Trust me.

3 weeks today for me.

Believe me when I tell you that I used to get off the football field, hit the showers and have 2 cigs on my way home.

I am no expert by any means, but about 2 years ago I weight 270 lbs, and was really out of shape. I got fed up and started doing what the other guys had mentioned, lifting weights with high reps and lower weight, lots of cardio, and drank a lot of water. I ate healthy with no sugars and lots of protein. One thing that was amazing was when you lift weights instead of taking a short break jump rope. It sounds simple, but it was amazing how fast the lbs fell off. Doing that for 6 months I went from 270 to 185lbs. After traveling a lot with business and all the hotels and restaurants i got a little out of shape again and started doing my routine again, and its amazing. So I highly recommend getting a jump rope and going to town with that. you will be amazed.

Mike, set some realistic goals. Just like sales, when you see yourself close to reaching them, readjust.

Keep in mind that everyone goes through cycles. You have your ups and you have your downs. For me, I use races to cycle through my workouts. Build phase, teardown phase, rest phase.

Im building right now. Today I rode 70 miles of hills. I am so tired. Yesterday, I did a lot of up and down. I am looking forward to tomorrow when I can just do some spinning and keep my heartrate down.

Next week I have to increase my miles by 10%, and the week after that another 10%. Oh joy.

Mike, set some realistic goals. Just like sales, when you see yourself close to reaching them, readjust.

Keep in mind that everyone goes through cycles. You have your ups and you have your downs. For me, I use races to cycle through my workouts. Build phase, teardown phase, rest phase.

Im building right now. Today I rode 70 miles of hills. I am so tired. Yesterday, I did a lot of up and down. I am looking forward to tomorrow when I can just do some spinning and keep my heartrate down.

Next week I have to increase my miles by 10%, and the week after that another 10%. Oh joy.

I think 10 lbs/month is realistic. I can typically lose 10lbs without exercize in 2 weeks by just cutting out sodas.

My goal is to get down to a weight where I am veiny again, and cut. Then build up muscle after that, and cut down on some of the cardio.

So here is my personal plan. I am going to start next week slowly-begin diet, and go to Gym Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I will do this for the rest of the month until September, 28th when I start my plan.

Week 1-(3 day gym week) No carbs, No Suppliments other than Protein/Multivitamin--30 mins of Cardio, and 45 minutes of weights per day: Back/Biceps-Monday, Legs-Wednesday, Chest/Triceps/Shoulders Friday. ABS each day of exercize

Week 2-(4 day gym week) No carbs, No suppliments other than Protein/Multivitamin--40 mins of cardio Mon/Wed/Fri/Saturday--Mon-Back/Biceps, Wed-Chest/Triceps, Friday-Legs, Saturday-Back/Biceps. ABS each day of exercize

Week 3-(5 day Gym Week) Start slowly reintroducing carbs-Begin FULL suppliment regimen--45 minutes of Cardio daily Except Sunday. --Mon-Chest/Triceps, Tues-Legs, Wed-Shoulders, Thurs-Back/Biceps, Friday-Chest/Triceps. ABS each day of exercize

Week 4-(5 day Gym Week) Still slowly reintroducing carbs-FULL suppliment regimen--45 minutes of Cardio twice daily except Sunday. --Mon-Chest/Triceps, Tues-Legs, Wed-Shoulders, Thurs-Back/Biceps, Friday-Chest/Triceps. ABS each day of exercize

After first month is over, I will go to a 6 day regimen for 2 months. See what happens after 3 months. Goal is to be shredded by New years. If I haven't reached my personal goal by then-205lbs completely shredded, then it is P90X.

I will post a beginning picture, and a picture once a month on progress. See what happens.

October 13th is when I have to quit smoking too.

Believe me when I tell you that I used to get off the football field, hit the showers and have 2 cigs on my way home.

I hear ya.

Funny, a couple years ago I used to run these same hills here in LA and I would also go back home and have a smoke or two as well.

When I hit 30, no chance of that. Probably more in my head then anything.....

As far as cutting carbs, I just can't do it. I wish you luck with that.

I love bread, potato and pasta way to much.

I am going to cut down though.

I hear ya.

Funny, a couple years ago I used to run these same hills here in LA and I would also go back home and have a smoke or two as well.

When I hit 30, no chance of that. Probably more in my head then anything.....

I am 26 now (will be 27 in February), so I want to get back into shape/quit smoking and keep it that way as I know once I get into my 30's, things will start becoming more difficult in regards to both.

I am 26 now (will be 27 in February), so I want to get back into shape/quit smoking and keep it that way as I know once I get into my 30's, things will start becoming more difficult in regards to both.

You are wise beyond your years ;)

26, you are a baby. Dude, if you can't pull this off completely in 6 weeks then you are a pussy. :tyson:

How's that for motivation?

26, you are a baby. Dude, if you can't pull this off completely in 6 weeks then you are a pussy. :tyson:

Ha. That's motivation if I ever heard it.

26, you are a baby. Dude, if you can't pull this off completely in 6 weeks then you are a puss!. :tyson:

:lol2: :lol2:

Mike, you will need some carbs to replenish what your body is burning. If you do not take in sufficient carbs your body will burn muscle and you dont want that. Plus, you will feel like shit. Cut out excess carbs, not total carbohydrate intake.

Mike, you will need some carbs to replenish what your body is burning. If you do not take in sufficient carbs your body will burn muscle and you dont want that. Plus, you will feel like shit. Cut out excess carbs, not total carbohydrate intake.

If I cut carbs out completely, wont the human body use Protein for muscle synthesis instead of carbs?

you will go catabolic

hmmmm....I wasnt aware of that. Then maybe what I will do is only ingest whatever carbs the supplements have in them, and stick to simply protein and healthy fats other than that. Or I can add simple carbs such as fruits and leafy veggies.

VERY simple. Run, run, RUN!!! eat better and run some more. pretty much any type of lifting (high reps not as much weight) and ALOT of crunches will get you where you want to be if you're running consistently and cutting back on eating "bullshit".

I've lost 25-30 lbs in the last 2 months and the 6-pack is starting to show again. P90X is a the equivalent of going to a football offseason camp. You will be a monster, panty dropping Adonis if you do that program...

If I cut carbs out completely, wont the human body use Protein for muscle synthesis instead of carbs?

total protein WHILE working out is not good. What I emailed you was protein Diet before starting work out regimen. Jason is right, you'll need smart carbs while working out.

hmmmm....I wasnt aware of that. Then maybe what I will do is only ingest whatever carbs the supplements have in them, and stick to simply protein and healthy fats other than that. Or I can add simple carbs such as fruits and leafy veggies.

yes, fruits and veggies with some high quality whole grains. No simple sugars, no white rice, no white flour.

If you just eat meat, you will get backed up, and there will be no fiber to digest. Believe me, you do not want to have weeks of meat stuck in your intestines and colon.

And, if you restrict your body of something you need, your body will come back at you with cravings so strong that it will make smoking look like a lollipop.

VERY simple. Run, run, RUN!!! eat better and run some more. pretty much any type of lifting (high reps not as much weight) and ALOT of crunches will get you where you want to be if you're running consistently and cutting back on eating "bullshit".

I've lost 25-30 lbs in the last 2 months and the 6-pack is starting to show again. P90X is a the equivalent of going to a football offseason camp. You will be a monster, panty dropping Adonis if you do that program...

Haha. I remember going to camp one summer. 3 a day practices for 2 weeks in 100 degree weather with 90% humidity, and it hadn't rained for 2 months. I ate 6,000 calories a day and still lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks. Worst thing was I had gained 30lbs of muscle that spring/summer, which I lost some of it during camp. Most of the weight I had lost was water weight/Fat.

5:30am-Get up

6:00am-Breakfast

8am-10am-Practice

10am-11:30am-Film

12pm-1pm-Lunch

1:30pm-3:30pm-Practice

3:30pm-4:30pm rest

5pm-6:30pm-Practice

7pm-8pm-Dinner

8pm-9pm-Meeting

I am going to do the Mike-Adonis program for 3 months (See page 3). If I am not where I want to be, I will buy P90X.

Haha. I remember going to camp one summer. 3 a day practices for 2 weeks in 100 degree weather with 90% humidity, and it hadn't rained for 2 months. I ate 6,000 calories a day and still lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks. Worst thing was I had gained 30lbs of muscle that spring/summer, which I lost some of it during camp. Most of the weight I had lost was water weight/Fat.

5:30am-Get up

6:00am-Breakfast

8am-10am-Practice

10am-11:30am-Film

12pm-1pm-Lunch

1:30pm-3:30pm-Practice

3:30pm-4:30pm rest

5pm-6:30pm-Practice

7pm-8pm-Dinner

8pm-9pm-Meeting

Yep pretty much the same for me, "back in the day". Im actually back to my college "playing weight" now, (I'm 38), took me 2 months cause I wasnt THAT out of shape anyways. But it 's always crazy to me when I think about what camp used to do to a body in the matter of 2-3 weeks. You'd come in relatively out of shape, just more muscular since we were always lifting all summer, but not running. But at the end of that half month, start the season 20-30lds lighter, just as strong as you came in and ripped as hell and could run for hours nonstop (IN TWO WEEKS). Simply amazing, and borderline psychotic actually, if that doesnt build character, not much else will.

Makes you wonder why more people dont just do a couple "Hell-weeks" if they want to lose weight and be in killer shape in 2wks. Could you imagine a woman 2wks away from her 20-25yr HS reunion completely transforming herself to a girl half her age in time to show-off how hot she is??!!! Ahhh, I think I have a new business venture......