Worlds Most Expensive Homes

Rix

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it's a matter of taste, what looks good to you now it looked good for 500 years and it will look good for 500 more to come.

Don't get me wrong I am all for an original Chateau that was beautifully restored to its former glory positioned in a picturesque setting but some of the new buildings that are trying to replicate that are just that, replicas.

Most of the new builds are not being executed using the original materials, such as hard wood, natural stone etc those materials are being replaced with fake plaster moldings reconstituted stone to mimic the original, most importantly old building techniques aren't respected anymore, craftsmen that were around hundreds of years ago are long gone their skills and techniques are being slowly but surely lost, taking all that into consideration in my opinion these buildings aren't genuine.

There is nothing more disappointing than walking up to a beautiful portal column that's supposed to be made out of white Carrara marble just to find out that's been made out of plaster or plastic.

Modern architecture is different, it's an expression of individualism making use of materials and techniques that are available to us today, trying to push the boundaries of design and execution a glimpse in to the future.

It is a form that allows you to express yourself, allows you to be individual, rewarding you with the feeling and excitement that you get when you see a beautiful modern exotic car.

I could never see myself living in a house that's not individual.

Having said all that thanks God for the fact that we all have different taste!

I agree with you 100% on that artificial materials thing. But what if one builds a brand-new home out of the REAL materials? Like real wood, real marble and stone, real gold leafing, etc...and employs real craftsmen, using the old-world techniques? I wouldn't consider that a replica, it would be an old-style home built in modern times. One could say such homes built in the 1920s were "replicas" of the ones from the 1700s, but I wouldn't say so.

But really sit down and understand the conceptual development as well as construction process of a Renzo Piano project, and tell me it’s any less extraordinary than that of Brunelleschi’s.

I get what you are saying, but I don't think a Renzo Piano hold's a candle to a Brunelleschi. Just my opinion though, but with anything like a Mies van der Rohe, Le Corbusier, a Piano, etc...I just draw a complete mental blank. Whereas classical architecture, most all of it I admire. I understand that modern buildings must be designed with cost in mind though.

Most of the new builds are not being executed using the original materials, such as hard wood, natural stone etc those materials are being replaced with fake plaster moldings reconstituted stone to mimic the original, most importantly old building techniques aren't respected anymore, craftsmen that were around hundreds of years ago are long gone their skills and techniques are being slowly but surely lost, taking all that into consideration in my opinion these buildings aren't genuine.

There is nothing more disappointing than walking up to a beautiful portal column that's supposed to be made out of white Carrara marble just to find out that's been made out of plaster or plastic.

Modern architecture is different, it's an expression of individualism making use of materials and techniques that are available to us today, trying to push the boundaries of design and execution a glimpse in to the future.

It is a form that allows you to express yourself, allows you to be individual, rewarding you with the feeling and excitement that you get when you see a beautiful modern exotic car.

I could never see myself living in a house that's not individual.

Having said all that thanks God for the fact that we all have different taste!

I couldnt agree more about the execution of new houses. so many 'mediterranean' style houes still just look like cheap spec homes with a european flavour, but they are done poorly. I can honestly say that only 1 in 10 are really done in any true fashion. thats why im really taking my time with my house to make sure i do it in a style that flows thoughout the whole house and doesnt just look like a bad renovation.

i do like some modern architecture, but again, this falls into the same category as above. most 'modern' style houses are done cheaply or poorly, and dont stand the test of time. If a house is done properly no matter the style, it will always look beautiful.

please dont think i was having a go at your house by any means, i think its beautiful. when i say i dont like modern houses, its the horrible stuff like this that puts me off.

modern_house_cambridge_97.jpg

but give me something like this

366385217_44bc7e0b36.jpg

its very cool

I agree with you 100% on that artificial materials thing. But what if one builds a brand-new home out of the REAL materials? Like real wood, real marble and stone, real gold leafing, etc...and employs real craftsmen, using the old-world techniques? I wouldn't consider that a replica, it would be an old-style home built in modern times. One could say such homes built in the 1920s were "replicas" of the ones from the 1700s, but I wouldn't say so.

such house requires more than the materials, in needs a proper setting an idilic location, which may or may not be possible to find, it has to be rooted in its own surroundings, shoving a bunch of spanish villas on a shore line ain't going to full anyone.

even if 100% replication could be achieved I still think the new "old house" will be missing the charm, the soul and the history people look for when they buy those old houses.

I couldnt agree more about the execution of new houses. so many 'mediterranean' style houes still just look like cheap spec homes with a european flavour,

i do like some modern architecture, but again, this falls into the same category as above. most 'modern' style houses are done cheaply or poorly, and dont stand the test of time. If a house is done properly no matter the style, it will always look beautiful.

I know you aren't having a go at my house, far from it.

Your above comment is spot on, no matter what you build has to be executed flawlessly.

I would like to see your house maybe we can exchange some ideas.

out of curiousity,

has anyone seen the bubble house in Mira Mar France?

i tried to take some photos last month, but dont really have a good camera, nor a good vantage point.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...mp;t=h&z=19

i saw it while driving from Nice to St Tropez

P1010044miramar-bubblehouse-1.jpg

feb93261.jpg

then searched through TomTom how to get there to see if i could get some photos

alas this is all i could get

PA100080.jpg

PA100081.jpg

it looks like it has 2 or 3 pools, and i know a $50k gate when i see one (or 2 for that matter)

P1010079.jpg

PA100083.jpg

the home also had what appears to be a 100 seat amphitheatre built over the cliff overlooking the Cote D'Azure.

PA100082.jpg

definately an interesting home, so dont let it be said i cant appreciate something wierd :D

I would like to see your house maybe we can exchange some ideas.

mate you are welcome any time you are down here. Its not quite to the level of some people on this site, but its my castle and i love it, and the location is the biggest factor for me :D

its a good basis for what i want to do, but im planning it properly. Everyone keeps asking me if i've started renvating yet, but i think the planning will take a good 6 months first before i can even do anything other than a cursory repaint of a wall here, or a couple of new lights there just to make it more liveable

such house requires more than the materials, in needs a proper setting an idilic location, which may or may not be possible to find, it has to be rooted in its own surroundings, shoving a bunch of spanish villas on a shore line ain't going to full anyone.

even if 100% replication could be achieved I still think the new "old house" will be missing the charm, the soul and the history people look for when they buy those old houses.

Yup, definitely, a French chateau probably wouldn't look right in East Texas (I am guessing, have never been there!), and a Spanish Mediterranean wouldn't look right in Upstate NY, and of course a Texas-style ranch probably would look out-of-place in the South of France! A new "old home" won't have the history at first, but give it some time and it will get there IMO.

mate you are welcome any time you are down here. Its not quite to the level of some people on this site, but its my castle and i love it, and the location is the biggest factor for me :D

its a good basis for what i want to do, but im planning it properly. Everyone keeps asking me if i've started renvating yet, but i think the planning will take a good 6 months first before i can even do anything other than a cursory repaint of a wall here, or a couple of new lights there just to make it more liveable

forget about the level, there is no competition here, you have to get whatver makes you feel comfortable, it looks like you've found what you like and I am very happy for you.

PM me your number and I will call you next week, I am not doing much these days I might be able to drive up or down still don't know :icon_mrgreen:

Yup, definitely, a French chateau probably wouldn't look right in East Texas (I am guessing, have never been there!), and a Spanish Mediterranean wouldn't look right in Upstate NY, and of course a Texas-style ranch probably would look out-of-place in the South of France! A new "old home" won't have the history at first, but give it some time and it will get there IMO.

couldnt agree with this more.

here locally in the Gold Coast, we have a horrible development called Ephraim Island. it is an island within the waterways (much like star island or Hibiscus island in Biscayne Bay), and they have developed it with a horrible square modern community. it may look alright in some pictures, (like this)

EphraimIslandWeb.jpg

but in reality it looks like Alcatraz, and most locals hate it.

0158-Ephraim-Island.jpg

3681181670_fa274e80f3.jpg

heres a google maps image of it. it has one of my favorite houses of all time on the left, and this beautiful house has to overlook this monstrosity in the middle of the waterway

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...168.91,,0,12.58

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,168.91,,0,12.58&cbll=-27.881029,153.40275&panoid=&v=1&hl=en&gl="></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=king+arthurs+court,+sovereign+islands+queensland&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.817312,92.900391&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=King+Arthurs+Ct,+Sovereign+Islands+QLD+4216,+Australia&ll=-27.880146,153.405192&spn=0,359.977319&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=-27.881029,153.40275&panoid=Ub4u2vujeoXmgIKDQDLE-g&cbp=12,168.91,,0,12.58" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

couldnt agree with this more.

here locally in the Gold Coast, we have a horrible development called Ephraim Island. it is an island within the waterways (much like star island or Hibiscus island in Biscayne Bay), and they have developed it with a horrible square modern community. it may look alright in some pictures, (like this)

EphraimIslandWeb.jpg

but in reality it looks like Alcatraz, and most locals hate it.

0158-Ephraim-Island.jpg

3681181670_fa274e80f3.jpg

heres a google maps image of it. it has one of my favorite houses of all time on the left, and this beautiful house has to overlook this monstrosity in the middle of the waterway

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...168.91,,0,12.58

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,168.91,,0,12.58&cbll=-27.881029,153.40275&panoid=&v=1&hl=en&gl="></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=king+arthurs+court,+sovereign+islands+queensland&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.817312,92.900391&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=King+Arthurs+Ct,+Sovereign+Islands+QLD+4216,+Australia&ll=-27.880146,153.405192&spn=0,359.977319&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=-27.881029,153.40275&panoid=Ub4u2vujeoXmgIKDQDLE-g&cbp=12,168.91,,0,12.58" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Agree with you on the Ephraim Island comments but not a big fan of the house, did notice last week when I was there it is finished. Not really surprised with who the owners are either lol. I prefer the one next door.

Am I the only one that thinks those houses are gaudy and horrible?

I was going to say in reference to the house in India, that 'there

is no accounting for taste'.

Then again, I don't think I'll ever have to make that kind of investment decision.

That's nice, how much?

POA. Guessing around 6M/8M going by similar penthouse pads...

Visually stunning and I love the rooms with all the big glass windows. BUT it feels more like some sort of Spa Resort then a home...Infact it looks like an apartment block :lol2:

• 11 months later...
Here's a pretty unique house. Asking $75M, but its estimated value is really around $30M.

http://www.joycerey.com/property_detail.php?property_ID=49

post-7412-1259607326_thumb.jpg

post-7412-1259607334_thumb.jpg

Portobello sold for 34.1 million.....and I'm not sure if it's included in the sale price or in addition to the sale price, but the purchaser also gave another property worth around 7 mill to the vendor.

it is a pretty nutso property.