Why I don't fly

Mako

I don't think the airlines are going to make the seats bigger and give us more room.

If you are really big/fat, tough for you.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You got hosed. I can't stand being stranded inside of the sardine can.

Yep, I hate commercial flying, on long haul flights, xanax is your friend!

I don't think the airlines are going to make the seats bigger and give us more room.

If you are really big/fat, tough for you.

Its also tough on you if you are skinny, sitting next to a blob, which happens a lot nowadays!

If the scene from Alive ever played out, that guy is a fcuking buffet.

You know, I was going to post this exact same scenario right before you did, but chose not to go there. Yet again, I was surpassed. LP never ceases to cross "that" line! :eusa_dance:

I've never seen an aisle seat with an armrest that raises so this guy must be sitting on it.

I've seen some, they do exist.

Guest skokos
I always get window seats so I can sleep up against the wall.

fcuk that noise,the window and wall are always freeezing.

I want to see you catch one to Europe

:D Oh man that made me burst out laughing :icon_thumleft:

When I wrote that I was thinking for travel within the continental United States.

I always get window seats so I can sleep up against the wall.

Im the same way....if I dont get an end seat my head just starts rolling side to side as soon as i start to doze off and I dont get to sleep at all. Another situation this helped in was a flight i had from dallas to Indy on a full plane and my seats back was broke, so if I sat back, the seat would just start to recline into the persons lap behind me, i spent the whole flight propped against the wall.....all 3 fcuking hours.... :crybaby2:

I hate to bring back this memory but.... it happened to me on a trip from Detroit to LA last summer. (June 2008 or sometime there about... it was my trip out to Cali for Valentino's party)

Anyway.... I was supposed to be in a middle seat or something and they called me up (before boarding) and asked if I could take an isle seat so a mother/son could sit together. Of course, I said no problem.

Then they allow people to board with kids, first class etc.... I see this lady (say 450-600 lbs) getting in line with a 5 year old boy. No big deal... it didnt even cross my mind that it could be them I would be sitting next to.

So I board last (I dont like sitting on the plane for longer than needed) and get back to my seat.. except I cannot find it.. the plane is full (3 on each side) then I realize that my seat is being taken up by the a lady in the middle seat. She had both arm rests up and was taking up 100% of the middle seat, 50% of the window seat (no problem cause it was her small kid in this seat), and 50% of the isle seat. So where do I go? I am an average 190lb guy...

I ask the flight attendant for help.. meaning, where am I supposed to go? She told me two things: "If you cannot make it work, we will have to put you on the next flight" AND "you have the right to put the arm rest down to give you space from the passenger next to you"

So what do I do? Trick the lady into going to the bathroom, then I hurry and put the armrest down before she comes back?

Well, I made it work... 1/2 of me was sitting in the seat, the rest was in the isle. Here I am, trying to be polite and respectful... and the flight attendants are stopping by and giving me free drinks and snacks.. (bringing more attention to it.. I just wanted to zone out with my ipod and pretend I was somewhere else)

It was truly 5 hours of I dont know what. I HATE to sound mean or disrespectful (because I am certainly not perfect), but I really think that they should sell "space on the plane with a seat belt" not "a ticket for a passenger".

-I could not get a refund because I "bought a ticket for a passenger to go from DTW to LAX and I received that service". It did NOT matter that I only got 50% of the seat listed on my ticket.

To top the whole thing off, the kid was screaming and crying the entire time.. "I am hungry!!!" "I want candy!!!!" "Why didnt dad come with us"

Some of the dialog:

Kid: "I want Candy!!!" (shouting AT mom)

Mom: feeds kid candy and soda from a back pack full of junk food (no wonder the kid is wound up)

Kid: "I want Dad!!!!!"

Mom: "we'll see him in a few days, you know that he doesnt like traveling with us" (yeah no sh!t !!!)

ok... I got to vent, now I feel better. (maybe the nightmares will stop!)

Ugh.... maybe she has a health problem or something, I dont know. I feel guilty sounding like an ass, but it really wasnt that I had to suffer because of her problems. If it was a public bus that was free.. I would have not right to complain. But it was a $400 plane ticket.

SO, when you are buying an airline ticket, WHAT are you actually purchasing? A first come, first serve seat? This sounds ridiculous... but consider what I went through and answer that question.

So I board last (I dont like sitting on the plane for longer than needed) and get back to my seat.. except I cannot find it.. the plane is full (3 on each side) then I realize that my seat is being taken up by the a lady in the middle seat. She had both arm rests up and was taking up 100% of the middle seat, 50% of the window seat (no problem cause it was her small kid in this seat), and 50% of the isle seat. So where do I go? I am an average 190lb guy...

Hello, don't leave us hanging. What ended up happening, or have you blocked it out with therapy?

It was truly 5 hours of I dont know what. I HATE to sound mean or disrespectful (because I am certainly not perfect), but I really think that they should "space on the plane with a seat belt" not "a ticket for a passenger"

READING YOUR STORY MAKES ME SAD. I SORT OF WANT TO forget that I read this.

This is motivation to make enough money to always charter, every time.

I hate to bring back this memory but.... it happened to me on a trip from Detroit to LA last summer. (June 2008 or sometime there about... it was my trip out to Cali for Valentino's party)

Anyway.... I was supposed to be in a middle seat or something and they called me up (before boarding) and asked if I could take an isle seat so a mother/son could sit together. Of course, I said no problem.

Then they allow people to board with kids, first class etc.... I see this lady (say 450-600 lbs) getting in line with a 5 year old boy. No big deal... it didnt even cross my mind that it could be them I would be sitting next to.

I ask the flight attendant for help.. meaning, where am I supposed to go? She told me two things: "If you cannot make it work, we will have to put you on the next flight" AND "you have the right to put the arm rest down to give you space from the passenger next to you"

So what the heck do I do? I made it work... 1/2 of me was sitting in the seat, the rest was in the isle. Here I am, trying to be polite and respectful... and the flight attendants are stopping by and giving me free drinks and snacks.. (bringing more attention to it.. I just wanted to zone out with my ipod and pretend I was somewhere else)

It was truly 5 hours of I dont know what. I HATE to sound mean or disrespectful (because I am certainly not perfect), but I really think that they should "space on the plane with a seat belt" not "a ticket for a passenger"

-I could not get a refund because I bought a ticket for a passenger to go from DTW to LAX and I received that service. It did NOT matter that I only got 50% of the seat listed on my ticket.

Andrew,

That is really fukked up that they would say that to YOU and not the 500lb women taking up both seats! How they could think that should become YOUR problem is beyond me. I would have told the airline, if I have a right to put the arm rest down, then I am exercising it. And if I CANT put the arm rest down, then you can please put THAT women on the next plane, not ME! It is not YOUR fault that she cannot sit in her own seat with your armrest down.

It is a shame what this world is coming to.

Andrew,

That is really fukked up that they would say that to YOU and not the 500lb women taking up both seats! How they could think that should become YOUR problem is beyond me. I would have told the airline, if I have a right to put the arm rest down, then I am exercising it. And if I CANT put the arm rest down, then you can please put THAT women on the next plane, not ME! It is not YOUR fault that she cannot sit in her own seat with your armrest down.

It is a shame what this world is coming to.

Couldnt agree more with you. PC has gone too fcuking far. Its her damn problem she is that big so she should have to deal with the repocussions of that. Like buying 2 fcuking seats. I would have thrown a fit if I had to sit like that for 5 hours. Tlak about torture.....

So what do I do? Trick the lady into going to the bathroom, then I hurry and put the armrest down before she comes back?

Well, I made it work... 1/2 of me was sitting in the seat, the rest was in the isle. Here I am, trying to be polite and respectful... and the flight attendants are stopping by and giving me free drinks and snacks.. (bringing more attention to it.. I just wanted to zone out with my ipod and pretend I was somewhere else)

It was truly 5 hours of I dont know what. I HATE to sound mean or disrespectful (because I am certainly not perfect), but I really think that they should sell "space on the plane with a seat belt" not "a ticket for a passenger".

-I could not get a refund because I "bought a ticket for a passenger to go from DTW to LAX and I received that service". It did NOT matter that I only got 50% of the seat listed on my ticket.

To top the whole thing off, the kid was screaming and crying the entire time.. "I am hungry!!!" "I want candy!!!!" "Why didnt dad come with us"

Some of the dialog:

Kid: "I want Candy!!!" (shouting AT mom)

Mom: feeds kid candy and soda from a back pack full of junk food (no wonder the kid is wound up)

Kid: "I want Dad!!!!!"

Mom: "we'll see him in a few days, you know that he doesnt like traveling with us" (yeah no sh!t !!!)

ok... I got to vent, now I feel better. (maybe the nightmares will stop!)

Ugh.... maybe she has a health problem or something, I dont know. I feel guilty sounding like an ass, but it really wasnt that I had to suffer because of her problems. If it was a public bus that was free.. I would have not right to complain. But it was a $400 plane ticket.

SO, when you are buying an airline ticket, WHAT are you actually purchasing? A first come, first serve seat? This sounds ridiculous... but consider what I went through and answer that question.

That sucks. Look at the bright side, any of us would still rather be in your situation than being that 500lb woman. Imagine how her day goes...

That sucks. Look at the bright side, any of us would still rather be in your situation than being that 500lb woman. Imagine how her day goes...

I couldn't care less about how her days go. She chose to be in the situation she is in, and now she has to live with the consequences.

I couldn't care less about how her days go. She chose to be in the situation she is in, and now she has to live with the consequences.

Maybe she did, unless her condition is the result of health issues. Some people are born big and stay that way throughout their short lives.

I remember about 10 years ago when I ran into a person like that. People were either staring or not looking intentionally in quite obvious ways. It was pretty sad, and that scene just stuck with me.