Organic Foods

fmari

I've been reading Master Your Metaboism by Jillian Michaels. So far if half is true I think I am going to do my best eating organic foods. From what I am reading if you are able to stick with organic foods your body will be more efficient at processing these foods. Have any of you guys converted to organic? How have the results been. Is it all hype or did you notice some differences.

I've tried some organic stuff since my dad can't have gluten and some other things so my parents keep a lot of organic type foods at the house. Some of it is very good but depending what it is, the calories and fats aren't terribly different. I don't think you would "see" a big change from organic foods but you might "feel" it.

I like organic foods and stores like Whole Foods in the sense that the service is in the 'premium' market and not commodities, but fundamentally its probably BS. A great investigative journalism piece by John Stossel:

Remember Organic really has nothing to do with fat or calories etc. Just that is was processed with out pesticides for example. So Organic is not inherently more healthy. They have organic double chocolate chip cookies that will be just as bad as any other ones.

If you were gonna go organic I would say the best thing to start with is fresh produce, although the price premium is very significant on most items.

I like organic foods and stores like Whole Foods in the sense that the service is in the 'premium' market and not commodities, but fundamentally its probably BS. A great investigative journalism piece by John Stossel:

I couldn't get past the first 2 minutes of that video...Whack jobs!

Remember Organic really has nothing to do with fat or calories etc. Just that is was processed with out pesticides for example. So Organic is not inherently more healthy.

:iamwithstupid: Exactly!

There are a few (very few) items out there that deserve merits but most (and by a wide margin) are marketing hype and way over-exaggerated BS.

Having a strictly organic diet is hard work.

Think about alcohol for example; the ingredients involved will be sprayed with pesticides.

Many commercial off the shelf food stuffs these days are filled with preservatives and lots of other items that enable better shelf life as well as having "raw" ingredients that have been developed into such a way that they are more resilient to pest attacks and better harvest yields.

I am quite fortunate where I am because in the next town they have regular farmers markets where I can pick up ultra fresh produce and genuinely real home made products but the key is to limit the amount the contrived crap in your balanced diet.

for another doughnut.>

VCR +1

http://www.foodincmovie.com/

Extremely hard to find good food in America... best line I heard at a restaurant last week "Our beef is USDA prime, from corn-fed cows" wow.....

They said that to me at Charley's too. The steaks are good though and I think pretty much all meat in the US is cornfed.

They said that to me at Charley's too. The steaks are good though and I think pretty much all meat in the US is cornfed.

I agree it tastes good, but cows are not supposed to be cornfed.. corn makes animals grow HUGE. And for the 4 main companies who supply beef & chicken in the US, that means more profits. McDonalds is single handedly responsible for this. And let me repeat this..in a supermarket, there are only about 4 companies that make MOST of the food there, not 1000 companies. Monsanto is to blaim also. The movie is pretty insightful, def watch it.

BTW, I eat at home 90% of the time and buy my beef and chicken at a meat market that's a few miles from me. Much healthier and the beef/chicken comes from 1 farm where the cows are grass fed, and chicken fed properly also.

Milk was mentioned before also, and I know you agree with me being in Norway right now..and I'm pretty sure you have access to better milk than what's available here.

edit: something I found about monsanto/milk in US: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axU9ngbTxKw...feature=related

interesting videos. first ive heard of such orthorexia. nothing taking to the extreme is good. if you want a healthy diet, before going all-organic, make sure generally unhealthy things are out of your diet. chips, cookies, etc etc. there is nothing wrong with the apples at your local grocery store, however, an attempt to create some time to prepare foods rather than buying canned and processed or frozen foods is always good.

interesting videos. first ive heard of such orthorexia. nothing taking to the extreme is good. if you want a healthy diet, before going all-organic, make sure generally unhealthy things are out of your diet. chips, cookies, etc etc. there is nothing wrong with the apples at your local grocery store, however, an attempt to create some time to prepare foods rather than buying canned and processed or frozen foods is always good.

Have you ever had a apple that was grown at a little farm on a real tree? The apples you see at supermarkets are garbage too.. Food inc has the figures, as far as I remember Mcdonalds is the biggest buyer of meat, apples, tomatoes, cheese, bread, etc.. Don't you think they control how everything is grown also? Funny quote from movie is.. "A tomato at a supermarket may look like a tomatoe, but it's only the idea of a tomato" ---again, not exact quote, but along these lines.

I think there is definite merit in organic foods, and appreciate organic where possible but never really rush out of my way. A close friend of mine has a certified organic farm that I spend a fair bit of time on, what you are paying for is the extra time and attention it requires to avoid the pesticides. At least you know when you are buying organic that it's going to be a) fresh B) not have been coated in whatever form of poison. For me I appreciate it with the most with fruit, just for the fact it's meant to be a nice healthy snack and is generally eaten raw, so would prefer to know it hasn't been coated in chemicals while growing.

Have had many discussions about this with several friends who are food scientists and they don't believe that there is much merit behind the organic fad. That being said, as long as people are willing to cough up $$$ for fancy food, I entirely support farmers working to meet that demand. Just don't think that eating organic food is going to magically solve your health issues.... studies have shown the placebo effect should be credited with most feelings of improvement.

The best food to get is food that is FRESH, whether or not it is organic. Once the food starts to oxidize (aka spoil), it loses flavor and nutrient quality. Nothing tastes better than meat from an animal that was killed less than 12 hours before, an omelette made from eggs that dropped from a chicken that morning. Or fruits and vegetables that were just picked from the garden earlier in the day. I have had plenty of "organic" foods that tasted gross, so I just look for foods that meet the see/touch/feel/smell tests (and taste if the option is there), regardless of whether it's organic or not.

BTW, steakhouses purchase corn-fed beef because corn is significantly more calorie dense than grass, which means the animals pack on fat which creates a better tasting steak. Fat = flavor. Protein is actually rather flavorless. Grass-fed will generally have greater nutrient content, but a grain diet will most often produce a tastier cut of meat. You decide which you prefer; I eat both.

I have to disagree with the comment above about why cows are corn fed. If you do some research you will see that corn is the root cause of e-coli in cows. Ever hear about beef recalls? Cows that eat corn (extreme majority) get so big that their legs cannot support their weight. More importantly, how is this corn grown? Monsanto has designed seeds that grow corn artificially and super fast. Translate this to the obesity in this country. Why only obese ppl in america?

And if you didnt know, corn & corn syrup is found in a LOT of foods in america. Scientists have broken dowm corn & its genetics so that it can be used in many many foods. And again, just like it makes the cows & pigs extremely obese it does same for people eating those cows..

I grew up with a cow in the backyard & chickens, lamb, etc. Big difference in taste, & personally from experience the real stuff tastes better.

I have to disagree with the comment above about why cows are corn fed. If you do some research you will see that corn is the root cause of e-coli in cows. Ever hear about beef recalls? Cows that eat corn (extreme majority) get so big that their legs cannot support their weight. More importantly, how is this corn grown? Monsanto has designed seeds that grow corn artificially and super fast. Translate this to the obesity in this country. Why only obese ppl in america?

When you say artificially, what do you mean? Also, while corn may make cows big, I don't think it makes humans big.

And if you didnt know, corn & corn syrup is found in a LOT of foods in america. Scientists have broken dowm corn & its genetics so that it can be used in many many foods. And again, just like it makes the cows & pigs extremely obese it does same for people eating those cows..

Corn syrup is cheaper to use and easier to transport than conventional sugar, so it is used more.

I grew up with a cow in the backyard & chickens, lamb, etc. Big difference in taste, & personally from experience the real stuff tastes better.

Here in Upstate, NY we have a supermarket chain called "Wegmans" that does a lot of deals with the local farms so that you can buy all the fresh grain-fed beef, chicken, etc...in their markets. I have heard that raw milk, from a grain-fed cow that is disease-free, is a WORLDS away from pasteurized milk! As for organic food, well organic food requires more trees to be cut down because so much of the food is ruined by pests. Also organic food is fertilized in bacteria-filled feces, as opposed to regular crops which use nitrogen fertilizer (we breath a lot of nitrogen). So regular crops are okay by me.

We produce a long range of Biological/Organic products and also more mass orientated products...

...to the Original Poster, yes your body and you will feel the difference, the chemistry of the organic/biological food makes a world of difference, also the richness of the flavor... there's nothing like a Mediterranean Diet with fresh/biological ingredients ...

Give it a try for a couple of weeks :icon_thumleft:

Wheels = :eusa_wall:

also we started exporting to the USA a couple of months ago, we send a delegation of the company to present some of our products in New Jersey and N.Y. and being the first time in the USA for most of our guys they where all pretty stunned by the bad (as in nutricionally bad) food habits of the people they meet there...

I have to disagree with the comment above about why cows are corn fed. If you do some research you will see that corn is the root cause of e-coli in cows. Ever hear about beef recalls? Cows that eat corn (extreme majority) get so big that their legs cannot support their weight.

Corn is not the root cause of E. Coli; unsafe handling of the product is the cause of infected food. Bacteria can only grow a certain depth from the surface of the cut of meat. When the surface that is infected is mishandled and all other cuts are exposed to it, that is how the bacteria spreads from one piece to another. You can never perfectly eradicate all food-borne illness, but you can reduce the extent to which it spreads. What would cut down on infected food is decreasing the velocity of product generated so that infections can be detected and contained with greater efficiency; ie processing smaller lots of product, greater isolation of tasks in the slaughterhouse, etc. Problem is that most large food companies must create so much product at such a high rate of speed, that attention to detail is lost, mistakes are made, and by the time the mistakes are detected a massive amount of food is infected.

More importantly, how is this corn grown? Monsanto has designed seeds that grow corn artificially and super fast. Translate this to the obesity in this country. Why only obese ppl in america?

Why does it matter how the corn is grown? Corn is corn. Carbon, oxygen, iron, are the same no matter the source of the seed. We constantly seek ways to make the internal combustion engine more efficient at turning chemical energy into kinetic energy... with the global population growing at such a high rate, we must also find ways to extract the most food energy from the sun, soil, and water.

And there are plenty of obese people around the entire world... it's more a function of prosperity allowing people to afford to eat more and exercise less, plain and simple. Obesity rates in Asia and Africa are skyrocketing as they industrialize. It has very little to do with how food is grown.

Cool, I definitely know how great it is to grow your own vegetables and raise your own animals. Like I mentioned earlier, making an omelette from eggs you plucked from the chicken coop 30 minutes before... it's great. Unfortunately it takes a lot of resources to do such things so that's just not practical for a large percentage of the world's population.

Here's a little "food" for thought: http://www.drovers.com/news_editorial.asp?...&ed_id=6529

Don't take personal what I'm about to say.

Corn is not the root cause of E. Coli; unsafe handling of the product is the cause of infected food. Bacteria can only grow a certain depth from the surface of the cut of meat. When the surface that is infected is mishandled and all other cuts are exposed to it, that is how the bacteria spreads from one piece to another. You can never perfectly eradicate all food-borne illness, but you can reduce the extent to which it spreads. What would cut down on infected food is decreasing the velocity of product generated so that infections can be detected and contained with greater efficiency; ie processing smaller lots of product, greater isolation of tasks in the slaughterhouse, etc. Problem is that most large food companies must create so much product at such a high rate of speed, that attention to detail is lost, mistakes are made, and by the time the mistakes are detected a massive amount of food is infected.

http://www.nbafoodadvocate.com/corn-fed-ca...ne-illness-1177

Your main point comes to "Companies must make so much product, to sell so much, etc..to make more $$.. and attention to detail lost..."

Step 1 for you, read the above article. Step 2, research E. Coli and its causes a little more indepth instead of just relying on sources that talk about the efficiency of producing as much food as possible. Step 3, you should now be educated enough on this subject to know what you said above is complete BS.

Why does it matter how the corn is grown? Corn is corn. Carbon, oxygen, iron, are the same no matter the source of the seed. We constantly seek ways to make the internal combustion engine more efficient at turning chemical energy into kinetic energy... with the global population growing at such a high rate, we must also find ways to extract the most food energy from the sun, soil, and water.

Why does it matter? I'll explain this as best as I can.. Corn is Corn, you're right, mother nature grows corn only 1 way and NOT by using seeds regrowable seeds that Monsanto in conjunction with the FDA/Government uses and forces upon MANY farmers to grow at a faster rate so that more $$ can be made. Now you're going into population, etc.. you are right, people need MORE foood and these companies are doing that..producing MORE food.

And there are plenty of obese people around the entire world... it's more a function of prosperity allowing people to afford to eat more and exercise less, plain and simple. Obesity rates in Asia and Africa are skyrocketing as they industrialize. It has very little to do with how food is grown.

"Obesity skyrocketing in Asia, Africa, etc..." Yes, bingo! Congrats if I may say. Have you noticed that Walmart has been expanding largely in Asia? KFC, McDonalds, etc. (You get the idea) have been expanding globally. While Walmart and Mcdonalds and others' do "seem" like they're selling a different product, it's still mickeyd and walmart do what they do best, figure out how to sell you a product for bigger, cheaper, and faster. They are still doing the same thing they do here in the US. Selling you unhealthy products for 1 reason, profit. "Very little to do how food is grown...." Has EVERYTHING to do how it is grown!

"Affording food.." I grew up poor, very poor if I may add!! Nutritious food was the least of my worries yet I wasn't being fed junk that Mcdonalds sells. If we're talking EXTREME poverty where people have no food, and their lack of $$ to purchase foods, that's another story.

Cool, I definitely know how great it is to grow your own vegetables and raise your own animals. Like I mentioned earlier, making an omelette from eggs you plucked from the chicken coop 30 minutes before... it's great. Unfortunately it takes a lot of resources to do such things so that's just not practical for a large percentage of the world's population.

Here's a little "food" for thought: http://www.drovers.com/news_editorial.asp?...&ed_id=6529

Here's a food for thought for you, RESEARCH and know what you're talking about before you try to make a point to someone who actually spent a lot of time looking into this matter. The link above is completely irrelevant for what you're trying to tell me or counter me with what I said previously.

If I mispelled some items, don't hold it against me..

When you say artificially, what do you mean? Also, while corn may make cows big, I don't think it makes humans big.

Artificially meaning the seeds Monsanto forces upon farmers is not created in mother nature. These seeds are produced in a lab and then mass produced. If a mosquito sucks orange jucice, chances are if you and I eat a mosquito we will get some Vitamin C from it.

Wheels = :eusa_wall:

A lot of old farmland has been able to grow back into forests because we can now grow so much food using far less land. This comes from modern technology and modern pesticides. If we tried to grow all the food organically, we would not be able to feed the population.

Artificially meaning the seeds Monsanto forces upon farmers is not created in mother nature. These seeds are produced in a lab and then mass produced. If a mosquito sucks orange jucice, chances are if you and I eat a mosquito we will get some Vitamin C from it.

Yes, but they are still real seeds, as they produce corn, right? The stuff grows. It's a plant, it's not artificially made by humans. Remember, corn itself as we eat it is a human creation. Nature did not produce corn. The Native Americans, through years of domesticating the plants, created corn as we eat it today. Modern corporations further modify crops to create seeds that can grow quickly. Orange carrots are another human creation. They are artificial in that sense. Nature does not produce orange carrots. Nature's carrots are usually brown or black or white. Humans, through constant experimenting, created the infamous orange carrot.

Yes, but they are still real seeds, as they produce corn, right? The stuff grows. It's a plant, it's not artificially made by humans. Remember, corn itself as we eat it is a human creation. Nature did not produce corn. The Native Americans, through years of domesticating the plants, created corn as we eat it today. Modern corporations further modify crops to create seeds that can grow quickly. Orange carrots are another human creation. They are artificial in that sense. Nature does not produce orange carrots. Nature's carrots are usually brown or black or white. Humans, through constant experimenting, created the infamous orange carrot.

Wow