Olympics Thread - All Things Vancouver Olympics

lambo1

I watched it.

I have a general olympic question: I have seen many events and the winning ceremonies. I see that the awards are weeds, and no medals. What is the deal with the awards.

Will they get the medals in the mail after the drug tests?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have watched many events and the awards ceremony that followed. Usually, the medals are presented, the flags get raised, and the anthem played.

Canada is doing it a little different. These flowers/weeds are presented without medals and no flags and no anthems.

Anybody know what the deal is with the no medal ceremony? DO they receive them later after drug tests?

They actually lowered the starting point on the track and guys yesterday were still coming through with speeds of 90+. I guess you go from about 65 to 90 in a quick couple seconds coming into that last turn. They also built the walls higher.

I have watched many events and the awards ceremony that followed. Usually, the medals are presented, the flags get raised, and the anthem played.

Canada is doing it a little different. These flowers/weeds are presented without medals and no flags and no anthems.

Anybody know what the deal is with the no medal ceremony? DO they receive them later after drug tests?

There are several venues for the events some up high on the mountain as one can imagine. The award ceremonies are held at a stadium near downtown Vancouver. So while the winners are declared immediately after the competitions, they will actually be awarded their medals on the following evening.

Anyone else watch Alexandre Bilodeau win the gold in mens moguls. I was super pumped and very humbled all at the same time. What a great day. Very proud to be Canadian right now. And its so cool that it happined right in my back yard. Figureatively speaking of course.

Im glad that Beggs-Smith did not win, he is a POS..his old spam company AdsCPM did nothing but cost the rest of the world millions to filter out...

Rooting for Canada 4 gold in mens hockey, if it doesn't go their way Russia is looking good...

The crowds here in Vancouver are massive, crazy vibe.

I love Curling..... Im in better shape than them and they're Olympic athletes....

imgctrlthb_w214_h300_q70_SHUSTER20JohnCurling_u100212013653.jpg

imgctrlthb_w443_h300_q70_DSC3575_u100216150422.JPG

Do you know what?

I am not convinced there is another sporting festival in the world that is as boring as the Winter Olmypics. Honestly I came home and the options to watch were Curling and Biathalon.

So that is sliding a stone across ice or watching someone going through the same body motion for hours on end then the breathlessly shoot at some discs. And you get a medal for that?

If spent the afternoon watching either of those fcuking sports I would expect a medal for it.

Then look at some of the other events.

Now luge, okay, one guy died, it is sad, there are some outstanding jokes on the subject.

But when all is said and done it is a sport gravity does all of the fcuking work whilst you wear a Lycra suit whilst lying on a tray whilst sliding down a fcuking icey path.

Bobsleigh is the same but you brought some mates along for the gay spandex ride.

Ice Skating. Really? That is not a sport, that is mincing about without falling over.

Snowboarding/Skiing. Now no way should a the words Olympic should be associated with sports whereby you strap some poles to your extremities and then tuck yourself into a crouched position whilst again gravity does the job for you.

Now come on.

Seating here scratching my nuts I could come up with some better more worthy events.

Do you know what?

I am not convinced there is another sporting festival in the world that is as boring as the Winter Olmypics. Honestly I came home and the options to watch were Curling and Biathalon.

So that is sliding a stone across ice or watching someone going through the same body motion for hours on end then the breathlessly shoot at some discs. And you get a medal for that?

If spent the afternoon watching either of those fcuking sports I would expect a medal for it.

Then look at some of the other events.

Now luge, okay, one guy died, it is sad, there are some outstanding jokes on the subject.

But when all is said and done it is a sport gravity does all of the fcuking work whilst you wear a Lycra suit whilst lying on a tray whilst sliding down a fcuking icey path.

Bobsleigh is the same but you brought some mates along for the gay spandex ride.

Ice Skating. Really? That is not a sport, that is mincing about without falling over.

Snowboarding/Skiing. Now no way should a the words Olympic should be associated with sports whereby you strap some poles to your extremities and then tuck yourself into a crouched position whilst again gravity does the job for you.

Now come on.

Seating here scratching my nuts I could come up with some better more worthy events.

Interesting take....but can you do any of those things? If you can, then you have some validity, if not, well then.....

Interesting take....but can you do any of those things? If you can, then you have some validity, if not, well then.....

What, can I put on a spandex suit and slide down a hill? Hmmm let me think about it...

If you do, please take pictures

Sure thing, below is a picture of me warming up. Now how soon can you send me my medal?

Ex45TronUpCloseRot.jpg

I agree that some of the sports are a bit dumb, like curling for example.

However things like the biathlon, downhill skiiing or snowboarding take a tremendous amount of skill and practice.

I agree that some of the sports are a bit dumb, like curling for example.

However things like the biathlon, downhill skiiing or snowboarding take a tremendous amount of skill and practice.

I agree with everything said. And although I see 0 point in the biathalon ( i mean who the fcuk skiis and shoots at the same time?!) i know I could NEVER do what they do.....

Oh i have no doubt it is. I just think its a wierd pairing. Like riding a bike up a mountain then stopping at the top to bake a wedding cake, then have to ride your bike again. Just doesnt seem to go together....

Think about this: You are in the wild, tracking deer for food. You are on skis, and have a rifle to shoot. I think that is where it came from.

Explain double luge. Thank God for no double Skeleton.