My Thread of Work in Progress '78 LP400S

Peter K

This is my 1978 LP400S number 1121006. Number 2 "S".

I've already done quite abit of work but did not photo much. So now I'm taking this thread to show what I'm doing...big and small stuff. I've already dumped tens of thousands in motor, carb, cam time, paint engine bay and cam covers, clutch (kevlar), slave, master, fabricated unavailable parts on and on. My car was/is loaded with small ding and dents, my step bro is a Dent Wizard. He's done half the car and very well. One of my employees and I had been working on the front spoiler repair. Plus I've had a lot of stuff off (nuts, bolts, parts)..sanding or blasting, respaying...thanks Dupli-Color (trim black, primers, wrinkle, satin etc). All this was throughout last year. Now, of course, last winter I did a ton, this year no time...very fustrating. But now I'll do little by little. The most important to keep in mind is that through ALL of this I am driving the car. I can not bring myself to taking off the road for 1,2 3 years for a resto...it's way too early in my ownership for that...I want to drive and enjoy. Some photos you've seen before.

Trying to post finished shift knob and ashtray but says error. Any help? Size is the same as others.

Upload Error: Could not upload Attachment to ./files/pdr_0007.jpg

Never mind

That's awesome Peter. This is kind of thread I look forward to reading. Please keep the pics and info coming as you progress.

Peter.

Nice car !! A rare museum piece.

RK

:prayer: :prayer: :prayer: Good job, happy to see a such beauty getting some restorations =D>

This is a Great thread.......................I love when the cars are restored back to original condition.........keep us up to date :mrgreen:

Peter,

I know what your going through! If you have any questions on procedures, at least how I did things, I'd love to help. I also have some mis. parts that may come in handy.

I just finished the engine rebuild on 1121116, fired it last night. It was good to hear it run again.

Good luck and stay in touch.

Greg

Thanks for the support guys.

Peter great work.

Are you doing it yourself or having a shop do it?

I love the leather straps on the spare...very Italian!

Peter,

My steering column surround is also peeling. From the pics, it looks like it's held together by only a couple screws. Is that correct? I'd like to pull mine off and repaint. Anything else involved in removing the two halves?

Udo

Udo

Two 4mm allen screws underneath the covers. And four 5or6mm allen inside cover (above and below the column...access by pulling steering boot cover back and stick your fingers inside the covers from behind...you'll feel them. Use drop/workshop light....makes it easier. Should take 10-20 minutes to get them off, maybe 30. Peter

Aren't those allens fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick clean prep and paint of exhaust tips.

Can't get the figgin picture up....I'll keep tryin.

• 6 months later...

Well , finally I found some time to drive it and do a couple of things.

The first is the rear trunk/boot inside light panel. All I did was buy some quality velour to replace the worn out black material. The reverse side isn't pretty but neither was the factory job. I'd love to use this material on the dash but light and dark when you touch velour doen't look good for a dash.

Second is the front spoiler, I'm having one of my employees sculpt it.

interesting, i had no idea the trunk space went into both fenderwells on early cars. big enough for golf clubs......not. :) The QVs have panels on each side to conceal electrical and charcoal canisters.

BTW, love your car. Shame you have to find time to drive it more. The wife and i drove 3 days in the appalachian mtns last weekend. Drove the dragon at deal's gap (us129). That is must in a countach! I've riden it many times on my motorcycles, but what a rush in the countach. My wife may never be the same, she was turning green :twisted: some great roads in them thar mtns

I agree, too bad you don't have time to drive it more often... BUT, restoring it is ... :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

you are right about restoring while driving it

i am making all little fix in mine nowadays, till i 'll have the road registration, so when i'll finally have it i could drive it more often

too bad i still must wait :x

and congrats on your car, Peter : S1 are wonderfull ;)

• 6 months later...

This is the flare repair and spoiler. I will primer and paint trim black or flat black. I really do not want to remove these as it will lead to a full paint job. And I don't want to do that yet. But I do have a real pro to spray them if I want.

Some of you may remember I had a chunk of spoiler missing. The piece came with the car, which was amazing that a wrecker driver would throw that piece in the car after breaking it. One of my employees did a nice job putting that piece back on and sculpting it.

Also, that is the long scratch/dent on the drivers side rocker. That is the next to get repaired. The flare was missing when I got the car. Chad Bolles got me one a couple of years ago.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT COLOR MY CAR IS? And don't fvck with me and say blue :roll: :lol: :lol:

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT COLOR MY CAR IS? And don't fvck with me and say blue :roll: :lol: :lol:

Dark Blue? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh man! you guys are riding my johnson. Ballbuster.