I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

Ktaylor36 - Love the AR10

El Chorizo - PS90 SBR is great for CQB - if you do that type of training. If just shooting at the range then leave stock. Good looking closet. Besides the door what are you going to do internally so a person can not simply kick in the sheet rock?

This particular closet is on the corner of the house. One side is surrounded by the exterior stone and brick of the house. The other 2 walls are protected by the guest room shower and then sheetrock. Its not a closet that you could get to easily.

It could be done. But a gun safe could be hauled out of a house quite easily as well. So besides the house alarm thats all I've got to protect it.

Legally, I'm fine.

Monetarily, I could lose out. But nothing else would stop someone from stealing a vehicle, or a watch, or any other item of value out of my house either.

If someone wants it bad enough, they can get it. No matter what it is, or how well it is protected.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This particular closet is on the corner of the house. One side is surrounded by the exterior stone and brick of the house. The other 2 walls are protected by the guest room shower and then sheetrock. Its not a closet that you could get to easily.

It could be done. But a gun safe could be hauled out of a house quite easily as well. So besides the house alarm thats all I've got to protect it.

Legally, I'm fine.

Monetarily, I could lose out. But nothing else would stop someone from stealing a vehicle, or a watch, or any other item of value out of my house either.

If someone wants it bad enough, they can get it. No matter what it is, or how well it is protected.

I've been looking into something similar and here are a few things I have assessed.

The walls arent easy to breach from the sound of it, but what about the ceiling? Even with a 2nd story, its very easy to cut through. Check and see if you have concrete on the 2nd floor, if you have one. I'm serious, a well built home will have a couple inches of lightweight concrete on the upper floors. If so, move on.

As for as the inside of the "Closet" I would give some serious thought to ripping out ALL (walls and ceiling) and replacing with two layers of concrete button board, or the fire rated sheet rock. This isn't too much for security, but it will slow down a fire drastically.

Also, install a motion detector and door sensor on the inside of the closet.

If you keep cash, precious metals, and important docs at home, then I would take it one step further. Get a TL-15 or TL-30 rated safe and bolt that fucker to the floor inside your gun closet.

I would advise you to keep any design plans or detailed pics off the internet, but read up, there is a lot of info on how to inexpensively build a fairly secure room like this.

As for the vault doors, I'm fairly certain they are designed to be secured to a block wall which is completely filled with concrete. I would build one in place of the existing wood stud build out.

but read up, there is a lot of info on how to inexpensively build a fairly secure room like this.

Help me with google foo

Help me with google foo

One option, configure something like this inside the room, but using a true vault door.

http://www.tornadoalleyarmor.com/models

Concrete walk in gun safe. I would fill the block to make a solid wall.

http://threeacres.wordpress.com/2010/06/08...lk-in-gun-safe/

Ballistic wallpaper

http://xflexsystem.com/default.aspx

Some real vault specs

http://www.het.brown.edu/people/hahn/vaults.html

Super high quality vault doors.

http://www.brownsafe.com/categories/faq/Sa...ctionHelper.htm

http://www.graffundersafes.com/products/vault.html

More reasonable stuff, and AMSEC is built and HQ in Fontana, 45 min from you.

http://www.amsecusa.com/Gun_Safes/Vault_Door/

And in case VBOX or BMW Racer decides to build a small 4k sq-ft room to pile their dirty laundry. Recovered old bank vault doors. Yes, 32000 lbs of door.

http://1800recycling.com/2011/08/repurposed-bank-vaults/

http://thedowntowncentre.com/BankVaultDoor...25/Default.aspx

I have more info on my office computer.

I've been looking into something similar and here are a few things I have assessed.

The walls arent easy to breach from the sound of it, but what about the ceiling? Even with a 2nd story, its very easy to cut through. Check and see if you have concrete on the 2nd floor, if you have one. I'm serious, a well built home will have a couple inches of lightweight concrete on the upper floors. If so, move on.

To be honest, I'm not really interested in going that all out to secure the room.

I would imagine that at most I have $15k invested in the contents of that closet. I don't want to spend $5k protecting $15k.

As I build out my collection I will continually evaluate what I need to do to secure it. Once the steel door is finished I think I'll be happy with up to another $10k or so in there.

Then after that I'll probably look at something like this: http://www.secureavault.com/safe-room.html

Emanon - great suggestions! Thank you for posting links too!

Emanon - great suggestions! Thank you for posting links too!

No problem. I'm not a security expert but I do know a good bit about building/construction specs and how to slow down common tools.

I would be happy to talk with anyone and offer some ideas for personal layouts off the prying eyes of the internet.

One thing many people may not realize. Even high quality safes are just steel and many times regular drywall for fire protection. Better safes get thicker steel, higher grades, high pressure concrete fills, etc. You can do all that built into your house without too much trouble. A36 Steel plate is sold in 4x8 sheets just like plywood and drywall, in thicknesses from 3/16" (better than a costco safe has) to as thick as you want to go. Lining the outside walls of a room with that, then laying fireproof drywall over that will build one hell of an enclosure.

You could go as far as welding the seams but it wouldn't be 100% necessary.

This is one of those cases where if someone experienced REALLY wants in, they will get in. But if you have something that valuable worthy of an italian job style heist, plan accordingly. But I can tell you 3/16" steel layered behind a couple layers of fireproof backer board is going to stop 99.99% of smash and grab thieves. When their 10lb sledge hammer bounces off the wall and just mushes the wallboard most will just say fcuk it and walk away. Even a gas powered demolition saw (fireman chop saw attached to a big fcuking chainsaw motor) will take some time to cut a man size hole in plate steel that thick. If nothing else they will get pissed off and leave after aspirating the 10lbs of drywall dust that thing is going to throw off. :icon_mrgreen:

These rooms are a good place to store your home surveillance DVR and computer backup drives as well. Having all those cameras doesn't do shit if they steal the hard drive.

No problem. I'm not a security expert but I do know a good bit about building/construction specs and how to slow down common tools.

I would be happy to talk with anyone and offer some ideas for personal layouts off the prying eyes of the internet.

One thing many people may not realize. Even high quality safes are just steel and many times regular drywall for fire protection. Better safes get thicker steel, higher grades, high pressure concrete fills, etc. You can do all that built into your house without too much trouble. A36 Steel plate is sold in 4x8 sheets just like plywood and drywall, in thicknesses from 3/16" (better than a costco safe has) to as thick as you want to go. Lining the outside walls of a room with that, then laying fireproof drywall over that will build one hell of an enclosure.

This is one of those cases where if someone experienced REALLY wants in, they will get in. But if you have something that valuable worthy of an italian job style heist, plan accordingly. But I can tell you 3/16" steel layered behind a couple layers of fireproof backer board is going to stop 99.99% of smash and grab thieves. When their 10lb sledge hammer bounces off the wall and just mushes the wallboard most will just say fcuk it and walk away. Even a gas powered demolition saw (fireman chop saw attached to a big fcuking chainsaw motor) will take some time to cut a man size hole in plate steel that thick. If nothing else they will get pissed off and leave after aspirating the 10lbs of drywall dust that thing is going to throw off. :icon_mrgreen:

These rooms are a good place to store your home surveillance DVR and computer backup drives as well. Having all those cameras doesn't do shit if they steal the hard drive.

Interesting stuff! :icon_thumleft: Thanks for the info! :)

We need to have lunch.

Legally, I'm fine.

I was about to do the same thing to a closet at my house. If you know how to do sheetrock repair, you could re-enforce the studs in exposed walls and door frame to make it difficult for someone to get it. Someone with tools and time could do it. But you could keep out the "smash and grabbers". Then just make sure they are insured and call it a day in case it does happen.

Senate Judiciary Committee met today on AWB and other gun legislation. Everyone contact your reps!

For anybody interested in completing an 80% lower in southern california, contact me.... I may even be able to point you to the 80% lower if you cant find one... Do not waste your time (or money) with jigs or drill presses. I have completed mine (the smart way) and knowing what I know now, doing it any other way is a nightmare. Unless you are a fcuking whiz with the DRILL, there is no way you dont fcuk that up... Or spend days doing it....

For anybody interested in completing an 80% lower in southern california, contact me.... I may even be able to point you to the 80% lower if you cant find one... Do not waste your time (or money) with jigs or drill presses. I have completed mine (the smart way) and knowing what I know now, doing it any other way is a nightmare. Unless you are a fcuking whiz with the DRILL, there is no way you dont fcuk that up... Or spend days doing it....

I might be getting in touch with you when I move out there in may.

also with these 80% lowers im assuming all the bullet button and no pistol grip stuff still applies.

I might be getting in touch with you when I move out there in may.

also with these 80% lowers im assuming all the bullet button and no pistol grip stuff still applies.

You can do a pistol grip... But yeah... Bullet button applies.

LINK - Colorado passes five of seven gun control measures, including ban on "high-capacity" magazines. I think their definition of "high-capacity" though is now anything over fifteen rounds, not ten. The two measures that were shelved was a bill to make gun manufacturers of "assault weapons" liable if their gun was used for an evil purpose and also a ban on carrying concealed on campuses.

Gun show back in town, saw some pretty optimistic prices. Got a few Pmags for $20/ea, factory Glock 17rd mag for $36, two BX 25 mags for $45/ea

• 2 weeks later...
I may do the SBR on the PS90 but honestly I'm not one of those guys that is caught up with barrel length.

We have the same taste in guns lol... Currently own a PS90, Five Seven, SLP 18", Scar and the FS2000 from FN... Along with A Ruger SR556, Colt M4, Deagle .44, HK usp .45, and glock 26... That FS2000 is my favorite.. such an accurate, low recoil and light rifle... You fire it already?

Carrying case for the PS90

case3.jpg

case4.jpg

guns8.jpg

FN FIVE SEVEN

guns6.jpg

NOT REALLY A SILENCER LOL, FS2000 extension that fell off... Looks legit....

AD794888-8EFF-4760-85D3-E19C98A5ED55-1154-000000909A0B8920_zpse06c258a.jpg

Ruger SR556

guns3.jpg

FN FS2000... The extension came off after this was taken, still havent put it back on lol

guns2.jpg

FN SLP 18"

guns5.jpg

FNH PS90

guns4.jpg

Deagle .44 (commifornia edition non .50 smh)

6716318B-681D-4862-8DB8-D436A102E3EE-1154-0000009053A95DA4_zps3b196aa0.jpg

H&K USP .45

E1E11864-833E-43BA-B4BA-45DE70228FC5-1154-000000908C44D048_zps358b43ba.jpg

Glock 26

[/img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f75/nokturnalcarclub/E9B9393B-01BA-47A2-A05A-E1B56DA47A79-1154-00000090D151448F_zpsd6d5bc7f.jpg[/img]

To be honest, I'm not really interested in going that all out to secure the room.

I would imagine that at most I have $15k invested in the contents of that closet. I don't want to spend $5k protecting $15k.

As I build out my collection I will continually evaluate what I need to do to secure it. Once the steel door is finished I think I'll be happy with up to another $10k or so in there.

Then after that I'll probably look at something like this: http://www.secureavault.com/safe-room.html

YOU NEED THIS SAFE BRO!!! FIT ALL YOUR GUNS!!

photo2.jpg

ON ANOTHER NOTE BRO, WHERE ARE YOU BUYING 5.7 Ammo??? I ran out and had to buy from Gunbroker at $45 a box for 50 rounds because no one out here has had any for like 9 months already..

Good to see some FN afficianados here, any of you on fnforum.net?

Side note: if any of you find any FNP-45 15rd mags at a decent price, then PLEASE let me know. I swear FN is worst than HK when it comes to mag supply...

Just picked up a FNX 45 tactical new in box for regular price. Also note Scottsdale Gun Club is selling 40 cal $20 a box and 45 at $23 a box and as many boxes as you wish...just got a couple pallets in. I also have my Nighthawk Predator II coming back from Nighthawk with some love. Finish was worn off, scrapes, nicks, etc from a few hard years on it. Nighthawk installed new sites, re-finished, new springs and who knows what else they did so excited to get it Thursday. They were surprised how bad it was when they received it. I informed them it is by far the most accurate 45 I have ever shot even in it's current condition. They are shipping it back today or tomorrow so should receive by Thursday PM. Person at Nighthawk stated it is as new again.