I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

Probably not. The gun grabbers also do not like those thumbhole-type grips. But I might be wrong. There might also be a way to modify it to make it NY legal.

Yeah it is a no go according to their list even though the ONLY features it has that are on the list are the threaded barrel and the mag capacity. I really hope someone sues the state and gets the law reversed. All it does it make you more unSAFE.

post-24965-1398474987_thumb.png

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more and more I read about this law the more pissed off I get. HOLY SHIT IS NY FULL OF ITS SELF!!!!! At some point someone on the fringe is going to look at some of these politicians and realize they are a threat to liberty...

And what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure.

Yeah, the law is nuts. Cuomo and the Democrats passed it in the dead of night. Normally, NY has a mandatory two-day review period for all legislation, but this can be bypassed if there is a State of Emergency. So Cuomo declared a State of Emergency and bypassed it. Thus far, courts have upheld that using the State of Emergency to pass it is legal. The AWB itself was also upheld recently by a judge. Both sides are appealing (as the judge struck down the seven round limitation and the muzzle brake limitation as it was spelled muzzle "break"). Some say he was afraid of being overturned on appeal if he had struck the whole thing down, but who knows.

IMO, I fear these AWB court cases are just establishing precedent for the upholding of AWBs as most courts find ways to uphold them it seems. Connecticut has a similar, but even stricter law in place, passed similarly, bypassing the standard debates. Maryland also passed such a law I believe.

They had the AWB from 94-04 and then it was allowed to expire. I think the courts are becoming more and more friendly towards gun owners right now. I also think more and more companies (looking at your Colt and Ruger) need to pull a MAGPUL, PTR or Kahr and up and leave those states that have become oppressive. I also hope they will refuse to sell to LEO in those states.

Won't be buying anything Colt for awhile:

Colt, the oldest gun maker in Connecticut, is staying, at least for now, said Gerald Dinkel, chief executive of Colt Defense, which focuses on weapons for the military and police. “We were disappointed in the position Connecticut took,” Mr. Dinkel said, but he added that he didn’t see a direct impact yet on his business from the new law and therefore wasn’t planning to move his 750 employees out of the state.

Won't be buying anything Colt for awhile:

They would eat some huge expenses and terminate jobs for a large portion of the 750 employees who likely wouldn't be able to move their families out of state on a whim. He is just making a good business decision and protecting his current employees. I wouldn't boycott a company for that. Seems a bit unreasonable.

Local gun show where I am too this weekend. Not sure if I want to go though or not as I don't think the guns will be all that interesting due to the SAFE Act banning the cool ones. Although there will likely be SAFE Act-compliant ARs to look at. Might also look at some M1As if they have them, so maybe I will go.

How about getting a precision rifle? Like a Remington 700? They are not evil, but still fun as hell to shoot.

How about getting a precision rifle? Like a Remington 700? They are not evil, but still fun as hell to shoot.

Will get one of those some day, right now saving for a semiautomatic rifle though.

Was looking at the NY SAFE Act website. That's F-in pure insanity!! I would move. Nothing in that law has anything to do with criminals. It targets law abiding people. Its an assault on the 2nd and criminalizes non criminals.

I bet Home Depot is selling out of 8" PVC pipe. I would not register jack shit or sell jack shit. I'd bury it all in my backyard.

Next step for NY...."SHOW US YOUR PAPERS!".

Just got back from the gun show, glad I went! They had some ARs of various kinds there (all the NY-compatible variants), also the Troy pump-action ARs. They also had quite a few antique guns for sale, including 18th century guns! Was a fun experience.

I have been thinking maybe of getting a cheap AR-15 with a welded mag. Like no device that lets you detach the mag if you "disassemble" the firearm or anything like that where it is iffy regarding if it really is compliant or not but rather an AR-15 that flat-out obeys the law, which defines an "assault weapon" as a semiautomatic gun with a detachable magazine and one "military-style" feature. An AR-15 with a welded magazine that must be top-loaded would have the exact same ergonomics and feel as a regular AR-15, just you can't detach the magazine, so not an "assault weapon." Not very good for self-defense, but fine for the range, for target shooting.

Glad you went! I skipped because I knew I'd buy a gun or 5. I did buy a bunch of mags though! I went shooting today. Got lower scope rings put on my savage and I was drilling the same hole at 35yards time after time. Now she is ready for the 100 yard and up range! Let some friends shoot the AR and now they have the bug!!!

They would eat some huge expenses and terminate jobs for a large portion of the 750 employees who likely wouldn't be able to move their families out of state on a whim. He is just making a good business decision and protecting his current employees. I wouldn't boycott a company for that. Seems a bit unreasonable.

MAGPUL and PTR did it and moved their employees. I'm sure Colt could do the same. They are choosing not to because they don't feel a business need yet. Well they won't be getting any of my dollars anymore.

I've got my eye on a 700 in 308 with a threaded barrel. They have them in 16.5 and 20 in lengths. Bipod, scope, suppressor and I am ready to take out groundhogs at 400 yards on my buddy's farm!

Glad you went! I skipped because I knew I'd buy a gun or 5. I did buy a bunch of mags though! I went shooting today. Got lower scope rings put on my savage and I was drilling the same hole at 35yards time after time. Now she is ready for the 100 yard and up range! Let some friends shoot the AR and now they have the bug!!!

Yeah, there were quite a few guns there I wanted to buy :D

I feel bad for New Yorkers.

I got pulled over by Texas State Trooper today on my way to Austin. I had my 686 with me. He walks around my entire car looking at it and it's making me more nervous. Usually they go straight to the window. I handed him my DL and my CHL when he walks up to the window. He looks at the CHL and says "Where's the gun at?" I said "On my hip". Without any pause or hesitation as to what I just told him, he goes "OK, do you know you don't have a front license plate?"

I wanted to start laughing. There was no further discussion about the gun.

If this was in NY, I would probably be looking at 20 years in prison.

I have a question regarding practicing with a shotgun. The indoor range near me allows shotguns, but only slugs. There are some ranges in the area a bit further out that are outdoors and allow shot, but they are all private clubs that are a PITA to join. So I was thinking I would just use the local range, where you do not need to be a member to shoot. But as said, this would mean only slugs. Now for home defense, I was thinking 00 buckshot because of penetration concerns, so my question is, if one gets proficient at firing slugs, would they be fine to use buckshot, or are the characteristics of buckshot different enough from slugs that training with slugs would not prepare one to fire buckshot if needed?

You will be fine. Slugs and 00 both hit pretty hard. Just remember that the 00 will spread so if you start drilling targets in the head with slugs at 50 yards don't think you can take a shot with 00 and land them all in the same tight group.

Ranges hate shot because it tears up their targets. However it is cool as heck when you shoot gallon jugs!

Was looking at the NY SAFE Act website. That's F-in pure insanity!! I would move. Nothing in that law has anything to do with criminals. It targets law abiding people. Its an assault on the 2nd and criminalizes non criminals.

you literally just described 99% of gun laws!

I feel bad for New Yorkers.

I got pulled over by Texas State Trooper today on my way to Austin. I had my 686 with me. He walks around my entire car looking at it and it's making me more nervous. Usually they go straight to the window. I handed him my DL and my CHL when he walks up to the window. He looks at the CHL and says "Where's the gun at?" I said "On my hip". Without any pause or hesitation as to what I just told him, he goes "OK, do you know you don't have a front license plate?"

I wanted to start laughing. There was no further discussion about the gun.

If this was in NY, I would probably be looking at 20 years in prison.

here in PA we don't even have a "duty to inform"!

You should build an AR with a permanently attached Beta mag!

Yeah, that would be more than a hundred rounds over the limit of the ten round magazine capacity limitation we have here. I'd get into some minor trouble. I do intend however, if I build the fixed-mag AR, to get one of those ten round magazines that looks like a thirty rounder for cosmetic purposes.

My Brother from another Mother and I for a movie trailer. Keep you posted if it get's picked up.

post-10287-1398727437_thumb.jpg