I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

I've noticed I can make a Kel-Tec SU-16 look pretty AR-like with some modifications. I have also noticed that some of the Saiga AK rifles should be legal here because they lack a pistol grip. One question though, I've read Obama imposed a ban on imports of Russian arms and ammunition, is this true? And if so, are guns like Saigas now banned?

It's been illegal to import "non sporting" rifles and barrels for a very long time now. (Basically any semi auto rifle). The workaround is grandfathered barreled and demilled parts kits and look a likes manufactured with a hodgpodge of us made parts (the 922r compliance parts) and foreign furniture.

The ammo thing is new.

Dick

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheels. The SAFE Act is a load of sit and very confusing. I need to dig in to it some more to fully understand what you are getting yourself into. HOWEVER for an AR-15 the firearm part is considered the stripped lower. You can order a lower and have it shipped to an FFL. Everything else can be ordered online and shipped to your house.

It's been illegal to import "non sporting" rifles and barrels for a very long time now. (Basically any semi auto rifle). The workaround is grandfathered barreled and demilled parts kits and look a likes manufactured with a hodgpodge of us made parts (the 922r compliance parts) and foreign furniture.

The ammo thing is new.

Dick

Forgive my confusion Roman, but then how are the "Russian-made" Saigas imported in? Or is only a part of the gun imported and the rest domestically manufactured? Also why are Senator Feinstein and her ilk requesting President Obama ban the import of "assault weapons" then? Does she not know about the existing law already?

Too bad President Bush didn't reverse that. But I guess he didn't want to undo something done by his father. His Justice Department did recognize the Second Amendment as an individual right though, and he signed the law to protect firearms manufacturers against frivolous lawsuits.

Forgive my confusion Roman, but then how are the "Russian-made" Saigas imported in?

Saigas are imported as a sporting rifle. The do not have a pistol grip and only include a 5 round mag. Google "Saiga converted and unconverted". It's technically a boring ole bird gun that falls under the same rules as any clays/bird gun. Once it's imported, there's nothing (federally, at least) preventing the end user from converting it into a scary pistol grip configuration and attaching higher capacity mags. I have done this a couple times myself, and even converted one to an 10" SBS, similar to the Tromix guns.

Anyone know where to get an affordable AR-15 upper assembly (or upper assembly kit) with a non-threaded barrel and no muzzle brake?

Saigas are imported as a sporting rifle. The do not have a pistol grip and only include a 5 round mag. Google "Saiga converted and unconverted". It's technically a boring ole bird gun that falls under the same rules as any clays/bird gun. Once it's imported, there's nothing (federally, at least) preventing the end user from converting it into a scary pistol grip configuration and attaching higher capacity mags. I have done this a couple times myself, and even converted one to an 10" SBS, similar to the Tromix guns.

Thank you for the information.

Thanks for the link, but I meant for building a $500 to $600 dollar rifle. Those look a bit pricey in that sense.

EDIT: This one might work though.

Although unfortunately, I have now found out that the FRS-15 stock for the AR-15 is not officially NY government approved either, so I probably cannot build that either :crybaby2: I mean I "could," but it's a risk.

Wheels. I'm sure we can find you a better price. You can't have a threaded barrel or a flash hider but I BELIEVE you can have a muzzle break. A possible option is to get a regular threaded barrel and have the muzzle brake pinned on. I know a lot of guys do that so they can get 14.5 in M4 style barrels. They then have a 1.5 in flash hider (in your case muzzle brake) threaded and pinned on. They can't take it off without destroying the barrel (in theory) so the barrel is now 16 inches long and is not considered an SBR.

The easy answer is move south to PA. You can own whatever you want and you and I can go shooting all the time!

Today is the last day for registration of "assault weapons" in NY state. In Connecticut, a large majority did not register their weapons, which apparently has stunned the state government who are unsure of how to respond now. Some estimate that over 90% may refuse compliance with the NY requirement, but we will see. No one knows fully what the numbers will be because the law prohibits registration numbers from being released. But unlike Governor Malloy, I do not think that Herr Cuomo, being the arrogant spoiled brat he is, will stay quiet over people ignoring his diktat.

Today is the last day for registration of "assault weapons" in NY state. In Connecticut, a large majority did not register their weapons, which apparently has stunned the state government who are unsure of how to respond now. Some estimate that over 90% may refuse compliance with the NY requirement, but we will see. No one knows fully what the numbers will be because the law prohibits registration numbers from being released. But unlike Governor Malloy, I do not think that Herr Cuomo, being the arrogant spoiled brat he is, will stay quiet over people ignoring his diktat.

fcuk 'em. If the government honestly ever thinks it will be able to come and take my guns they will have enough thing coming (mainly .5.56LAP and .45 ACP). I wouldn't register them either.

PS. Herr Cuomo might be the best thing ever. You are my hero right now!

Wheels. I'm sure we can find you a better price. You can't have a threaded barrel or a flash hider but I BELIEVE you can have a muzzle break. A possible option is to get a regular threaded barrel and have the muzzle brake pinned on. I know a lot of guys do that so they can get 14.5 in M4 style barrels. They then have a 1.5 in flash hider (in your case muzzle brake) threaded and pinned on. They can't take it off without destroying the barrel (in theory) so the barrel is now 16 inches long and is not considered an SBR.

The easy answer is move south to PA. You can own whatever you want and you and I can go shooting all the time!

Yeah, I don't know if that muzzle break thing is legal either, because the ban on it I believe was struck down by a court, but due to some NY law, the that type of court does not have real power over the state laws, or something like that. For example the seven round magazine limit was struck down by the court, but then some district attorneys were saying they were going to enforce it anyway, so the court ruling was essentially worthless. However, a little later, they came to an agreement that for the time being anyway, it would not be enforced.

fcuk 'em. If the government honestly ever thinks it will be able to come and take my guns they will have enough thing coming (mainly .5.56LAP and .45 ACP). I wouldn't register them either.

PS. Herr Cuomo might be the best thing ever. You are my hero right now!

What would be awesome IMO, though I highly doubt will happen, would be if they try to arrest someone for possession of an illegal "assault weapon," person holes up in their home, a stand-off occurs, then a repeat of the Bundy incident happens.

ARES Defense is introducing a new semiautomatic .223/5.56 rifle that is not an AR-15 but accepts all AR uppers and has no "assault weapon" features: LINK1 - this is a link to an image of it at their Facebook page. They are planning to introduce it at the upcoming NRA show. From the looks of it, this will be great for people in ban states if it is affordable and good quality and will be legal as opposed to the AR-15s that they are trying to make legal via the various modifications but which nobody really knows if they are legal. It will be fantastic if it accepts AR magazines. That's a major pain with the Ruger Mini-14, it doesn't take AR magazines.

Next is the new Troy Defense Sporting Rifle, a pump-action .223/5.56 AR:

LINK2

Neither of these guns should have to exist, but glad that the companies are innovating.

So Michael Bloomberg is spending $50 million of his own money to create a supposedly new "grassroots" organization called "Everytown for Gun Safety." So a guy went and pre-empted him and stole the name for a Facebook page :D

Everytown for Gun Safety

Does anyone have any experience witha Springfield XDS? I'm looking fora new concealed carry.

I shot the 3.3 in .45 and it had alot of recoil. I'm looking to find a 9mm locally to rent before purchase. The size is perfect for a ccw though

Does anyone have any experience witha Springfield XDS? I'm looking fora new concealed carry.

Buddy has one and LOVES it. He went with the 9mm though. He replaced his Kahr with it and it is his daily carry.

Its been long over due for me. But finally thinking about a gun safe. Any body have a hookup? :icon_mrgreen: What brands do you all prefer? My father has a Fort Knox and loves it, but its also 10+ years old now. Is there a different brand I should consider?

Its been long over due for me. But finally thinking about a gun safe. Any body have a hookup? :icon_mrgreen: What brands do you all prefer? My father has a Fort Knox and loves it, but its also 10+ years old now. Is there a different brand I should consider?

Skip the safe. Build a room!

http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/nbc_vault_doors.htm

Search earlier in this thread, there is some good safe discussion.

What is your budget, and what size/features are you after?

Generally, Fort Knox builds nice stuff, but like everything there are price points. I'm a big fan of them and AmSec.

$3k can get you a really nice setup. $600 at Costco gets you steel not worthy of a garden shed, some rejected drywall, and a few big chrome bolts. It will keep your 12yr old out if they aren't overly determined but that's about it.

Or a Graffunder gets you something (in the same physical size range) that weights more than an F350, built with the best materials available, and door tolerances so tight you can't slide a business card through it. The good stuff is also certified to hold extremely valuable items and be covered by your insurance.

Random: Been wanting a hand gun. I like to go on hikes. We have a lot of cougar sightings. Would much rather be armed than unarmed. I don't know much about handguns. I want something that will work, be accurate and will be a reliable gun longterm. Looked at a local used gunshop the other day and some of the handguns were just pure crap.

- What round?

- What gun?

- Why?