Who here prefers the styling of the 1st generation Gallardo over the 2nd?

Smash Boy

For the last year or so, it has been clear to me that the current G is a better looking car all around. More aggressive and refined at the same time...

But man do I suck at initial impressions with some of these cars. When the first pics came out of the new G, I posted on LP that I felt the older car was better looking and I knew there was a fair share of others in agreement.

I also detested the original G styling in 2004, but have grown to really like it.

That's why I now refuse to tackle styling issues until at least 2+ years pass. The judgment on the 458 styling shall wait until 2012 :icon_mrgreen:

I'd like to hear who prefers the older G and why.

when the LP560 first came out..i didn't like the rear that much..and didn't like the small headlights either..prefered the old G that time..but as time goes by..the LP560 looks so much better now..

as for the 458..it looks ugly..didn't like it at all..until i saw it in person yesterday..it does look kinda good from the back.. :D

it does look kinda good from the back.. :D

So you're saying that it's a butterface car? Everything's good, but her face? :icon_mrgreen:

From a pure design perspective the first generation gallardo front and rear are more simple, balanced and beautiful than the lp560. the lp560 is a beautiful car but the front bumper looks somewhat like an aftermarket bumper and the rear of the car is too clean for such an aggressive front bumper. I prefer the gallardo and love my 2006 coupe (especially with a real 6 speed manual shifter).

The 'old' gallardo is still my favorite, the SE made me fall in love with it .

3074271925_3d2725081d_o.jpg

oh man...the SE.. :headbang: love it in white!! damn now im not too sure if i prefer a LP560 over the SE.. :icon_mrgreen:

I won't say 1st gen is better looking, but I do think the original design is more proportioned to the overall character of the car and its straight edged square blocked form. It just matches well, look at the loong headlights and how they perfectly line-up with the square air-intakes on the bumper and the rear shoulders... Perfect angle is the SE photo in this thread, everything lines up, as the original design meant to.

As the G-LP iterations keep getting more and more edgy "nose-scoops" it seems appropriate to start to add more angles to the rest of the car to balance it out. It's starting to look like all it has going for it is the nose. Albeit very cool looking, it does look a bit like an add-on. But I love the new rear on the G-LPs.

I like the slimmer longer shape of the 1st gen headlights better and the louvres just ahead of the tail lights echo some CT styling. But the nose of the 2nd gen adds aggressiveness to the car.

Typically, original designs last better than facelifts. Original designs reflect the car as the designer intended. Facelifts tend to be mid-life 'refreshes', often not by the original designer, to stimulate showroom appeal. They are more 'faddish' and tend not to last as well. The biggest mistake in my book is the glass engine cover which the car was not originally designed to have and which to my eyes looks like an afterthought. I understand this was introduced simply in response to customer pressure.

The biggest mistake in my book is the glass engine cover which the car was not originally designed to have and which to my eyes looks like an afterthought. I understand this was introduced simply in response to customer pressure.

:iamwithstupid: And to this day it still doesn't come off as well as Ferrari's view of the engine does. Because with f-car it was DESIGNED to be on display like a jewel in a glass case. Lambo did it after the fact, like you said customer pressure. Still cant see the engine unless youre leaning over, defeats the purpose...Although I like the 2nd gen cause it's "newer", 1st gen "flows"...

Well, somebody already told this, but I agree with it:

Old Gallardo got older, when LP560-4 was launched.

Old Gallardo was the 1st Lamborghini, I've ever seen in person. So, it's still the most favorite one. (Especially SE)

LP560-4 looks better from rear, but I don't like little front lights. I think, that LP560-4 is more aggresive and "more Lamborghinish," it's not a baby Lamborghini any more (old Gallardo looks as a "child" a bit)

:iamwithstupid: And to this day it still doesn't come off as well as Ferrari's view of the engine does. Because with f-car it was DESIGNED to be on display like a jewel in a glass case. Lambo did it after the fact, like you said customer pressure. Still cant see the engine unless youre leaning over, defeats the purpose...Although I like the 2nd gen cause it's "newer", 1st gen "flows"...

I see absolutely no purpose for the glass cover, except to add weight and allow less engine heat to escape the engine bay. :eusa_think:

The last time I liked the idea, was on the DeTomaso Mangusta; and that was eons ago.

I see absolutely no purpose for the glass cover, except to add weight and allow less engine heat to escape the engine bay. :eusa_think:

The last time I liked the idea, was on the DeTomaso Mangusta; and that was eons ago.

totally agree.... my 360 glass engine cover makes the engine like a show piece... and I somehow start to dislike the glass cover on the G (I don't have one on my car, luckily)... also Lambo's engine are not sitting dead centre (off to left), so they don't really look as great through the glass cover.

richie

hey will someone with photos put up a simple side by side comparison of the cars/years in question? Thanks, would make it easier for us 'vintage' Lambo folks to follow this thread :icon_super: