$258 Million dollar powerball winner..

Guest skokos

There was one guy I read about

Actually, some years ago, I did read about .

Recently there was an article about

you read a lot that's awesome :icon_thumleft:

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You show me 1 person besides ELRIC ( :lol2: ) and mother Theresa who would go from having nothing to having $258 million and decide they would rather give it away and still have nothing.

Here is one I saw saw the other day.

This poor guy will get torn limb from limb by the dead beat jackyls he thinks are his freinds. its only every once in a while that you hear a law firm come and claim the winnings and you know the person has some intelligence about him/her. I believe a student from Univ of Cincinnati won a big Ohio lottery a year or two back. No one would claim it but everyone knew it was sold at a grocery store on campus. After a few weeks the lawyers showed up and took the money. Never did hear who it was. So little good can come from having it advertised like that. And even worse having everyone see your face.

Just remembered this joke:

-What would you do if you won a million?"

- Would pay off my debt

- And with the rest?

- The rest will have to wait

The joke i was told

After winning the lottery the wife said "what shall we do about the begging letters?"

Husbands reply "keep sending them out"

RUSSELL

Same scenario all the time : relatives , drugs , "genius" business ideas , 5000000 house + 25 cars , 10000000 donations . Wtf is wrong with people

Same scenario all the time : relatives , drugs , "genius" business ideas , 5000000 house + 25 cars , 10000000 donations . Wtf is wrong with people

I could be wrong, but here is how it looked to me: when you don't have money, it is what you are thinking about a lot. So imagine it like a wall in front of you, with 'money' written on it. Then once you get some money and it is no longer a huge issue you realize there is another wall, which might say 'career choice' or 'relationship - significant other' or 'pursuit of happiness, finding what you want to do' and you start feeling bummed out since you thought money was going to solve everything but it didn't...at all. these people are buying things and then realize nothing really changed, you can't fill the void in your heart with toys.

Guest skokos
I could be wrong, but here is how it looked to me: when you don't have money, it is what you are thinking about a lot. So imagine it like a wall in front of you, with 'money' written on it. Then once you get some money and it is no longer a huge issue you realize there is another wall, which might say 'career choice' or 'relationship - significant other' or 'pursuit of happiness, finding what you want to do' and you start feeling bummed out since you thought money was going to solve everything but it didn't...at all. these people are buying things and then realize nothing really changed, you can't fill the void in your heart with toys.
. http://filmbender.typepad.com/.a/6a00e554e798488833010536cbc2ce970c-800wi

Agree. I always think of lottery wiining ( or any easy money ) as of a test , to see your true personality/what are you really made of . Not many people seem to pass the test .

Easy come easy go!

The examples in the link are exactly the way people that play and haven't won yet describe the ways they would spend their winnings if they ever get lucky.

They buy expensive depreciating assets or goods, houses, cars, donate, lend, give a mil to each one of their family members, retire, travel around the world, go into business ventures that they know nothing about but all their lives thought they were onto a winner with their brilliant ideas etc.

What they don't realise is there are many people out there that are worth similar amounts or more and they don't engage in similar sporting activities with their cash, have the winners ever stopped and think why that would be the case?

Easy come easy go!

The examples in the link are exactly the way people that play and haven't won yet describe the ways they would spend their winnings if they ever get lucky.

They buy expensive depreciating assets or goods, houses, cars, donate, lend, give a mil to each one of their family members, retire, travel around the world, go into business ventures that they know nothing about but all their lives thought they were onto a winner with their brilliant ideas etc.

What they don't realise is there are many people out there that are worth similar amounts or more and they don't engage in similar sporting activities with their cash, have the winners ever stopped and think why that would be the case?

:iamwithstupid:

that's so trueeeeee, but so hard for people to understand :eusa_wall:

I hired a young girl about 9 months ago who after getting to know her, told me her father left her and her mother after he won the 50 or 150 mil jackpot. The guy was so greedy he wouldn't even give them money for living expenses...after he found out about the win the first thing he did was divorce her mother and keep the winnings to himself. He already had a successful life, nice home (valued at 2 - 3 mil), etc. I felt really bad for her, now she's back to cocktailling helping her mother out with bills.

I hired a young girl about 9 months ago who after getting to know her, told me her father left her and her mother after he won the 50 or 150 mil jackpot. The guy was so greedy he wouldn't even give them money for living expenses...after he found out about the win the first thing he did was divorce her mother and keep the winnings to himself. He already had a successful life, nice home (valued at 2 - 3 mil), etc. I felt really bad for her, now she's back to cocktailling helping her mother out with bills.

Doubt that is all true. Have to hear the other half of the story.

Doubt that is all true. Have to hear the other half of the story.

Any half-decent divorce lawyer could get at LEAST 1/2 of the winnings.

For some reason this post reminds me of the movie Heartbreakers

When William “Bud” Post won $16.2 million in a 1988 lottery, one of the first things he did was try to please his family, according to this Bankrate article.

Unfortunately, his kin was of the unfriendly sort. Post’s brother hired a hit man to kill him, hoping to inherit some money. Other family members persuaded him to invest in two businesses that ultimately failed. Post’s ex-girlfriend sued him for some of the winnings. Post himself was thrown in jail for firing a gun at a bill collector.

Over time, Post accumulated so much debt that he had to declare bankruptcy. He now relies on Social Security for income

. “Lotteries don’t mean (anything) to me,” he is quoted as saying—after he lost all his money.

This is one of the guys I was referring to. Didn't know you could have lawyers claim the lottery winnings for you, that is good to know!

The power of money...

If I ever win the lottery LP (I'd have to play it first :icon_mrgreen: ), I will let LP know and document how I use it. I say this now; I don't need money to get by in the world. It just comes with hard work. I don't get how people go broke so fast. Well, I do understand, however. But, damn....

I would still go to buffets and sneak food in my girlfriends purse :icon_mrgreen: .

This is one of the guys I was referring to. Didn't know you could have lawyers claim the lottery winnings for you, that is good to know!

Sure... Attorney sets up a blind trust which pays the taxes, claims the money, etc. No particular individual has to claim it, but a said person or family would be the trustees over the funds after the fact.

One step in keeping you out of the public light, though to the close people it would be hard to cover up.

In California you cannot get a loan as a lottery winner. Another little known fact is that the average time to bankruptcy after winning the lottery is 7.2 years.

It took you 4 years for that?! ;)

That's a pretty scary statistic.