Clutch suddenly drops dead while driving

FiveCar

Last night was eventful.

About half a mile after leaving work, my clutch pedal suddenly goes completely loose, making shifting impossible. I basically stop the car dead in the middle of a four-lane road and have to wait for people to help me push it off the road. Thankfully, a good friend offered to help; then a complete stranger stops to help as well. Finally, it takes the police blocking off a few lanes in order to make the final push.

The clutch pedal now gives no resistance. Even pressing it all the way in does not allow shifting while the engine is running. When the engine is off, it's easy enough to shift into gears even without the pedal.

Any ideas what I should check first? The optimist in me is hoping that I don't have to tow it home, but the Lambo owner in me is beginning to suspect that this is Yet Another $ Repair Job.

Amazing what has happened in a mere 9 months of ownership...

Thanks for the advice,

FiveCar -> FourCar

Simple and common problem - WHEN - it happens. Either clutch rod broke, master or slave cylender went. If your a DIY person you can fix it for something less than a couple 100 bucks.

Simple and common problem - WHEN - it happens. Either clutch rod broke, master or slave cylender went. If your a DIY person you can fix it for something less than a couple 100 bucks.

I suppose it's too much to hope for being able to fix this without towing/lifting the car?

If so, any recommendations on towing? I seem to remember some people had trouble even getting a good flatbed tow that didn't damage the bumper...

You have a lift and the fix is underneath so no problem there, as far as putting it on a flat bed...Scary. I guess you would raise the front end using the hydraulic shock.....provided it works, and have it wenched on to the flat bed. Come to think of it I remember you saying you had to position your car careful over your lift, so that's out. Looks like four jack stands and do the work on your back.

Mine is a 95 VT, I believe his is a 98

Indeed, 98 SV. Flatbed towed home without issues. Yes, needed the hydraulic. Later this evening, I'll put it on the lift and check things out. I'll keep everyone posted...

Just lifted the car tonight. Indeed, rod broke, also lost the little metal pin (which I understand is what always happens when you lose the rod itself). Will place an order for the part and fix it once I get shipment.

Will keep everyone posted.

no offence but as soon as anyone buys a older model Diablo they should replace the factory rod straight away. It's the most basic of fixes, most obvious common knowledge flaw, and the failure could kill you if you get stuck in the middle of an expressway!

take care people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry about the late update -- I seem to not be getting email notifications from this board. I'll try to fix that.

I bought a 'Custer Rod', which he wanted $450 for, citing that his 'machinist was raising the price.' I trusted him, as a fellow Lambo owner, but that proved foolhardy. Several months after installing it, I had two machinists look at the rod and independently verify that they could make it for $75-100 retail, with improvements (such as adding a rounded bar that pushes into the cylinder).

I'd either like a massive refund from Custer for ripping me off, or I'll start making an improved version of this rod for others on the forum at a deep discount.

Anyhoo, the car is back on the road. Thanks for checking in!

I bought two Custer rods. Yes they are priced like any product would be with no competition, That rounded pin cost another $90.00 if you by through Lamborghini. I replaced one because it was bent, the other I re-used. Too bad it's taken this long for someone to consider making an alternative.

You pull the piece off your car and I will machine a few for you to recoup your costs ;) ..........rob

Sounds great, Rob. If people in the board are interested, Rob and I will put something together for you all. Just little-r me with the # of rods you want. Rob: does $100/pc sound doable? Any profits above the $450 that I got ripped off will go directly back to this board.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds great, Rob. If people in the board are interested, Rob and I will put something together for you all. Just little-r me with the # of rods you want. Rob: does $100/pc sound doable? Any profits above the $450 that I got ripped off will go directly back to this board.

We should check to see if the guy is a sponsor of the site?

Please cound me in on 1 of the those. What would be the ETA for readiness for delivery. You have another customer here.

Let me know.

Thanks