How much value does a car lose when you paint?

djrobroe

hey guys,

I'm thinking of painting the roof, engine bay cover, and mirrors black like the SE paint theme. my question is how much value will the car lose from being painted? if it's not too much I dont really care but if its alot of money that worries me. What do you guys think? Thanks for your help

thats probably harder to gauge because its not repainting the car, so it depends on how many people would like to have an SE look on their car

You should do a wrap, so when you feel like selling it, you just pull it off, and it will cost you less to do it.

hey guys,

I'm thinking of painting the roof, engine bay cover, and mirrors black like the SE paint theme. my question is how much value will the car lose from being painted? if it's not too much I dont really care but if its alot of money that worries me. What do you guys think? Thanks for your help

I dont think that will make it lose any value

hey guys,

Impossible to say, but I don't think it would hurt much. It may be harder to sell though. One thing I can say is that it will not have a positive effect on the resale value -- you will lose on it is 100% of the cost to paint it.

Prices on these cars are plummeting faster than prices at Wal-Mart!

It will not make any difference to whatever resale value is left...

You should do a wrap, so when you feel like selling it, you just pull it off, and it will cost you less to do it.

:iamwithstupid:

Prices on these cars are plummeting faster than prices at Wal-Mart!

It will not make any difference to whatever resale value is left...

Not true..in the last 6 weeks thay have been quite stable and actually on the rise a bit...there is no stock out there.

As far as a re-paint, IMO, if it is done correctly and with OEM PPG Global brand paint...should be no issue.

:Look at all the Miura's, Countach and etc etc that have had a re-paint.

Not sure that a wrap would look good. Do they offer high-gloss black wrap? White with a matte black SE theme would look like crap imo.

They can wrap it in any color you want, and any shade you want.

I don't believe it will lose any value at all. The SE paint scheme is tits! It will separate your car from the rest of the white 560's (which there are ALOT of) when it is time to sell.

Now if you did something crazy like this; then yeah...It's not going to be worth much...

ShitPaint.jpg

I don't believe it will lose any value at all. The SE paint scheme is tits! It will separate your car from the rest of the white 560's (which there are ALOT of) when it is time to sell.

Now if you did something crazy like this; then yeah...It's not going to be worth much...

That was Dennis Rodman's Gallardo.....so probably not worth much anyway. lol

209017_23_lg.jpg

209017_24_lg.jpg

Not true..in the last 6 weeks thay have been quite stable and actually on the rise a bit...there is no stock out there.

I hate to disagree with Roy, since he is such a stand-up guy, and very knowledgeable. Much respect. But in this case I:

Disagree on point #1: 50 Gallardos on eBay tonight, and 167 listings on autotrader.com. Plus 205 Gallardos on Dupont Registry, and more on other sites.

Sure, many may be duplicates or brand new, but there seems to be a ton of cars out there for sale based on these ads....Plus add the cars on dealers lots which are not advertised on the net.

Ton of cars for sale. I do not buy the "inventory shortage".

Plus, most owners would like to upgrade to a newer Gallardo, so their cars are also technically for sale if someone offered to buy them. Add a 1000+ Gallardos to my list.

As someone else posted earlier: "there is a 10 year inventory....". Not my words. Theirs.

Agree on point #2: I have not been following prices for the last few weeks, but spring/summer is a time when sports car prices go up, and then down further than before the were in the driving season, in the fall/winter. So that is no surprise, but is just temporary.

Any pics of gloss wrap? I've never seen it.

@carbuff: I think he's talking more about lp560's. Still quite a few out there, but not nearly as many... yet hehe.

Where is a good place to get it done in the US? Does Foilacar have a agent/installer in the US?

I hate to disagree with Roy, since he is such a stand-up guy, and very knowledgeable. Much respect. But in this case I:

Disagree on point #1: 50 Gallardos on eBay tonight, and 167 listings on autotrader.com. Plus 205 Gallardos on Dupont Registry, and more on other sites.

Sure, many may be duplicates or brand new, but there seems to be a ton of cars out there for sale based on these ads....Plus add the cars on dealers lots which are not advertised on the net.

Ton of cars for sale. I do not buy the "inventory shortage".

Plus, most owners would like to upgrade to a newer Gallardo, so their cars are also technically for sale if someone offered to buy them. Add a 1000+ Gallardos to my list.

As someone else posted earlier: "there is a 10 year inventory....". Not my words. Theirs.

Agree on point #2: I have not been following prices for the last few weeks, but spring/summer is a time when sports car prices go up, and then down further than before the were in the driving season, in the fall/winter. So that is no surprise, but is just temporary.

That may seem like a lot but it's not when you begin to break it down by color and type. As an example, yea, there were about 40 Murcielagos for sale on eBay, but then break it down by original versus LP640, then again by coup versus roadster and then again by option list and it becomes a very small number. I've had friends spend a lot of time looking for their cars recently.

where can i get an amazing wrap done in miami? because I am looking to wrap the whole car pretty much... i love the white except for the fact that its too much of a pain in the ass to keep clean.. i want to wrap it to a charcoal color with the SE theme... anyone know where i can get a quality job done in miami?

a LP member just picked up a 06 g spyder for 105k (9k miles, 75% clutch, ppi checked out if I recall correctly)

prices are on the rise?!?!? when could you pick up a 06 g spyder for 90k?

i have another quesiton.... can a wrap really have the same kinda depth of color as say metallic paint? because I wanted to get the car wrapped in this color...

091-3.jpg

095-3.jpg

107-2.jpg

and does anyone know what color this is by any chance? I looooove this color.....

That may seem like a lot but it's not when you begin to break it down by color and type. As an example, yea, there were about 40 Murcielagos for sale on eBay, but then break it down by original versus LP640, then again by coup versus roadster and then again by option list and it becomes a very small number. I've had friends spend a lot of time looking for their cars recently.

Very true . There aren't many Murcs around , but is the inventory moving ?

I've seen a few in the marketplace for a while . I made an offer on one in Manhattan's inventory about 16 months ago and guess what ? It's still there . I bought as nice a car with better colors IMO for 50k less , and let me tell you I wasn't shy about offering guys 50k under their ask price and nobody hung up . I figured with the economy in shambles and Wall St taking the pipe cash was king .

The good ones priced right probably move and the beat ones linger .

@carbuff: I think he's talking more about lp560's. Still quite a few out there, but not nearly as many... yet hehe.

Ah yes, that would explain our different opinions on the matter.

Yes, I agree Brian and Roy, not too many LP560's out there used (only new). Most used are earlier Gs. :)

Of course a lot less Murcies, as they only made 1/4 as many....so one would expect there to be only 25% as many for sale.

and does anyone know what color this is by any chance? I looooove this color.....

It looks like Grigio Proteus.