Need help with my living room/entertainment center

el_chorizo

OK, this is a picture of my new living room. As you can see, a good place for a TV would be above the fireplace... but that would leave that damn "TV Slot" or whatever the hell it is to the right empty... so then I gotta fill that? Book shelves? I dunno... crappy.

So, I'm looking for ideas on what to do here.

My big TV will go in the media room but I need something decent out here. What do you think?

The other bad thing if I do a projection TV on the floor, the TV groove is a bit off centered which pisses me off too :)

post-19671-1277931283.jpg

Hang a tv in the space and get a built in for the rest of it to hold your receivers/cable/satellite boxes/speakers.

Easiest and cleanest looking solution would be to fill the cavity. That way it will end up a full face symmetrical wall to put your tv on. You wouldn't even need to go all the way down, you could probably retain some space at the very bottom for your digi boxes etc

You could just drywall over it. I mean, you'll need to repaint that hideous color anyway ;)

I would put a book case or curio cabinet to hold crystal or some sentimental objects. Putting a TV in there would look weird. I don't think anyone even makes deep RPTV's anymore, and it would be retarded to look for an old, crappy TV to fill that space.

Generally I think that a fireplace should be the symmetric center of a wall and to me it will look awkward no matter what you fill it with.

One thing to keep in mind about putting a TV over a fireplace is how often you will use the fireplace. Not sure about the efficiency or depth of it, but I imagine smoke and heat are not great things to have under your TV. Could effect the screen do to excess heat and dirt build-up.

just throw a countach up there

lamborghini-wall-art-1.jpg

Problem solved!

I LOL'd. Best idea so far. But seriously. Maybe, a nice lit book shelf. in the space with the tv above the fire place. Book case could display anything really. Doesn't have to be books. I think maybe a few pictures with good memories, a few decorations. Nothing to cluttered.

cover up that space beside the fireplace with a wall..and put a TV on there. (wire goes behind that wall..)

something like that?

49901997.jpg

Guest SP_LOTTA MURCI
OK, this is a picture of my new living room. As you can see, a good place for a TV would be above the fireplace... but that would leave that damn "TV Slot" or whatever the hell it is to the right empty... so then I gotta fill that? Book shelves? I dunno... crappy.

So, I'm looking for ideas on what to do here.

My big TV will go in the media room but I need something decent out here. What do you think?

The other bad thing if I do a projection TV on the floor, the TV groove is a bit off centered which pisses me off too :)

I had the same problem, I just picked up a shelf from Ikea and shoved it in for dvd/blurays/ps3/wii/ etc...

I put a monitor above the fireplace once and I will never do it again. It looks great but it is very uncomfortable to look up at your tv after a few minutes. Your display should be more eye level from your viewing position. If your sitting at an island in the kitchen above the fireplace might be fine, but if your on a couch it will literally give you a pain in the neck.

I've been looking at houses lately and those "holes" are common, some do nothing with them and just put a tv on a stand in there, but many do built-ins to fill them in like these...

post-7118-1277942649.jpg

post-7118-1277942655.jpg

post-7118-1277942661.jpg

I put a monitor above the fireplace once and I will never do it again. It looks great but it is very uncomfortable to look up at your tv after a few minutes. Your display should be more eye level from your viewing position. If your sitting at an island in the kitchen above the fireplace might be fine, but if your on a couch it will literally give you a pain in the neck.

:iamwithstupid:

you took the words out of my mouth.

Wrong height for the TV you will need a neck brace in few weeks.

I would not pack a tv on same wall. It will destroy warm feeling of the fireplace and wall will look too busy.

Here Is how I see it:

First are logs, then wine bottles and then books.

some painting might fit nicely above fireplace.

I know it looks horrible on picture because I left too much contrast to pieces I added...

post-20201-1277975930.jpg

Further suggestion:

Limit the log/wine/wiskeybottle -space to same height that your fireplace is. Then do additional book shelf to upper part. And add nice hand made wooden small ladder which goes nicely under the lower part or goes against the wall as a deco.

Something like this?

post-20201-1277977265.jpg

I've been looking at houses lately and those "holes" are common, some do nothing with them and just put a tv on a stand in there, but many do built-ins to fill them in like these...

post-7118-1277942661.jpg

Is this really the best position for a TV? Looks like it would hurt my neck. Eyeheight=the best ?

i would put some sort of sculpture or art piece there, or maybe a bar, I like having the TV over the fireplace as well. I dont know what the rest of your house looks like, you could possibly make it a wine closet with glass doors.

P620472_2.jpg

S536757_8.jpg

S595192_5_0.jpg

I like these suggestions. The other question is do you actually plan on using the fireplace?

If so do you have any concerns about it doing damage to the TV from the heat generated?

I have always wondered how TV's hold up over time hanging above a fireplace mantle.