Any past/present BMW SMG owners?

RedShft

Ha, I guess if you don't know the source of the pic and can look pretty WTFish. It's my Golden Retriever laid over on her back and I pulled her lips up to show her teeth, she just chilled and let me took a pic.

n613952495_442022_7928.jpg

Thoughts? I'm looking at an E46 M3 and am a bit worried about possible problems with the SMG system if any arise.

Its just one of those things you take the chance on. Its not that they have an exceptionally high failure rate, but it is one more system that could go wrong. Like most things, some fixed are cheap, some not so cheap. Personally I like the SMG, takes some getting used to like all trannys of that type. They can be a pain when reversing and driving around in tight spaces and M3's tend to see more of that then exotics with similar set ups. So keep in mind what you plan on using it for.

The conventional 6-speed in the E46 is pretty sweet too. I doubt you'd be disappointed either way.

Pretty informative thread on the M3 forums if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=231113

Its just one of those things you take the chance on. Its not that they have an exceptionally high failure rate, but it is one more system that could go wrong. Like most things, some fixed are cheap, some not so cheap. Personally I like the SMG, takes some getting used to like all trannys of that type. They can be a pain when reversing and driving around in tight spaces and M3's tend to see more of that then exotics with similar set ups. So keep in mind what you plan on using it for.

The conventional 6-speed in the E46 is pretty sweet too. I doubt you'd be disappointed either way.

Pretty informative thread on the M3 forums if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=231113

Great info, thanks!

had two E46 M3s. One with, the other without.

I would choose the 6 speed anyday.

:iamwithstupid:

I had an E 60 M-5 with SMG. It never gave me a problem, not one, but the way it shifts left more than a little to be desired. That said, I was using it for a daily in Atlanta traffic and did not want to drive a stick. FWIW, I don't think it has gotten any better. The new DCT is amazing though.

The SMG system in the E46 M3's is garbage. While they improved it for the E60 M5, it is still clunky and jerky. Even at it's highest performance setting, it's more than likely the worst/slowest shifting paddle tranny out there. Do yourself a favor and get a 6speed manual and you will love the M3.

Had an 03 E46 with SMG. Drove it 22K a year. Totaled the car with 96K on the clock and NEVER HAD ONE issue with the SMG. The clutch was still strong and I drove the piss out of that car. The SMG made it great for all the days I sat in bumper to Bumper traffic coming out of downtown cincy heading home. I never wanted SMG before I bought the car but after driving it I absolutely LOVED it.

I am both. if you are looking at e46 M3 avoid SMG I and go with SMG II or better... The original sucks... ie, anything before 2003.5 or safe bet, 2004 is crap. Even the software update for those was no good. The purist will say MT all the way... I say, Nay nay for me. I do love the SMG---hmmm, was that poetic :)

I am both. if you are looking at e46 M3 avoid SMG I and go with SMG II or better... The original sucks... ie, anything before 2003.5 or safe bet, 2004 is crap. Even the software update for those was no good. The purist will say MT all the way... I say, Nay nay for me. I do love the SMG---hmmm, was that poetic :)

All E46 M3's had SMGII. SMGI was only in the 330's and such and I believe some Euro E36 M3's. My 2003 had SMGII and it was bullet proof and never had an issue.....SMGII was introduced on the E46 M3....The only changes with the 04 cars were the LED Taillights.....

Thanks for the input guys. I think I may hold off on this car. Nothing against the SMG system, but I just need to spend some serious seat time with one before realizing if I'd enjoy it or not.

They are fun, and sound great inside. They sound like shit on the outside though. Drove my friends 05 SMG quite a bit and liked it.

All E46 M3's had SMGII. SMGI was only in the 330's and such and I believe some Euro E36 M3's. My 2003 had SMGII and it was bullet proof and never had an issue.....SMGII was introduced on the E46 M3....The only changes with the 04 cars were the LED Taillights.....

Unless I drove a prototype, and I am pretty sure I didn't, the very first generation the the SMG may have been brought over from the 330i) was still called a SMG (I). Its was jerky and terrible and quickly did SMG II which also coincided with the LED tail lights for the late 2003.5 and 2004 model. I had the 2004 with LEDs and SMG II. I remember talking to them about the software because the early e46's were terrrible. I have the mind of a steel trap so I am pretty sure I know this one... it was the reason I waited on my car then until the software was updated. If your 2003 was late model, then you may have been fine. Overall, the tranny is good and loved it... I have it in the M6 and although that is the 3rd gen, I would do it all over again!

:iamwithstupid:

Unless I drove a prototype, and I am pretty sure I didn't, the very first generation the the SMG may have been brought over from the 330i) was still called a SMG (I). Its was jerky and terrible and quickly did SMG II which also coincided with the LED tail lights for the late 2003.5 and 2004 model. I had the 2004 with LEDs and SMG II. I remember talking to them about the software because the early e46's were terrrible. I have the mind of a steel trap so I am pretty sure I know this one... it was the reason I waited on my car then until the software was updated. If your 2003 was late model, then you may have been fine. Overall, the tranny is good and loved it... I have it in the M6 and although that is the 3rd gen, I would do it all over again!

If it had flat paddles behind the wheel then it was SMGII. SMGI was INCREDIBLY rare. It also was buttons instead of paddles and was light years behind SMGII. The SMGII was introduced on the 2003 cars (all 2002 were 6 speed I believe). Like i said, I believe ALL had their software updated at some point by the dealer. ANd mine was bulletproof. I honestly like my SMGII better then my buddies 2009 M5 with SMGIII but my seat time in the M5 was very limited (and it is far better then his previous 6 speed M5) so I cant really say much. Im sure its only an improvement in the end.

SMG I in a 330

5481_832.jpg

SMG II in all E46 M3's

112_0208_09z_Shift_Business_2002_BMW_M3_SMG%202002_BMW_M3_SMG%20Steering_Wheel_View.jpg

You sure about that Kevin?

The M3 I drove I thought, like DoctaM3, was SMGI and it was so fcuking bad I wanted to burn the car to the ground.

If that was SMG II, then people are out of their mind for liking it!

IIRC SMG I was introduced in 1997.

SMG II was the E46

There is a huge difference in the SMG systems of M and non M cars.

Just a thought... Not sure what your price range is, but 996TT's are a great bargain for what you're getting. Might look into those, too. I'd still say manual E46 - if you are sold on that platform.

well,i never have one, but i advised you to not choose SMG on e46, unless u're buying the e92 M3, their shift are like 0.00something, just like a fast handshift manual! Thisis because my buddy drives M3 and we often swap cars. Go for the 6MT

Had a 1997 M3 3.2 SMG, on my case it really was a money pit, actually I had to sell the car non working condition because money burning was endless.

I still loved it when it worked though.

Remember it was highly new tech then and my car was very hard driven old car so, I guess it's then when things may start to go wrong.

SMG II on E46 M3 I have not tried though. Should be a bit better anyway. SMG on non-Motorsports is very different and not so comparable.

You sure about that Kevin?

The M3 I drove I thought, like DoctaM3, was SMGI and it was so fcuking bad I wanted to burn the car to the ground.

If that was SMG II, then people are out of their mind for liking it!

100%. Look at the pictures I posted above. If it had the buttons like in the top picture, it was 100% SMG I which Im sure never came on the E46 M3. Like i said, unless I had a freak of nature, I drove the piss out of my SMGII 03 M3 and I had the flat paddles instead of the silly buttons. And my car DID NOT have the LED taillights and it shifted fast as hell. But the easiest way to tell is buttons vs Paddles. Here is another view of the SMG I buttons that werent ever on M3's.

engine_smg.jpg