Superleggera Old VS New

PCJR

I had the opprotunity to drive a brand new SL today and thought some might be interested

in the comparison. New SL was black, egear, CCB's and sport buckets.

1) Exterior:

New SL - better rear diffuser integration and quad tailpipes looks better than old SL's setup.

New SL - I like the front bumper but I'm not necessarily crazy about the black lower lip. I would

prefer it to be body color. On the black car it looked OK but still looks a bit unfinished.

I have an RSC LP nose on mine so I can say I like mine better from that perspective.

2) Interior:

New SL - sport buckets are great and look even better. A must if you are going to order one.

Everything else prety much the same.

3) E-gear trans:

New SL - this is where I find the biggest improvement. From initial take off, to upshift/downshift, the

new trans is far superior. I did not use launch mode but I can only imagine it would shine even

more.

4) CCB's:

New SL - to those that are concerned with the "grabby" feeling of the old car, the new CCB's are definitely

improved. I've learned to manage mine but there is a marked improvement.

5) Exhaust Note:

New SL sounds a little more refined and the old SL more course. Tough call I might prefer the old SL here.

6) Wheels - New SL's look better in person but once again not necessarily better thasn the Old SL's ,

just different.

7) Ride and handling feels similiar, tough to call on public roads.

8) Performance - feels stronger but we did not have the opprotunity to run them side by side. No doubt

from posted videos of a 560 vs old SL, the new SL should be even better.

Value - The new car is better, but I can't justify the delta of well over a 100K. I'll have one someday but that

will be a couple/few years down the road. For all of you ordering them, please get CCB's and sport

buckets, this will give me a greater pool to choose from in the secondary market:)

+2! And make mine in orange with 6-speed manual transmission!

btw, what kind of seats does the new SL come with as standard? Are the sport bucket seats optional?

very good summary thank you.

In relation to the front bar I also think the black lower section doesn't look 100% right maybe painting it body color might help.

I must say I don't think CCB are a must but yes on sport seats.

I highly suggest trying the sport seat before ordering. They look awesome, and I bet most of the SL weight savings is in these seats...but they were uncomfortable for me, and I could not fit a helmet. i heard there is a way to drop the seats a little further back, but they still have no recline.

I could not justify the move from my current SL to the new, especially with 0 interior change. I opted for a 560 because most of the same performance improvements can be found in the 560 engine and gearbox.

I highly suggest trying the sport seat before ordering. They look awesome, and I bet most of the SL weight savings is in these seats...but they were uncomfortable for me, and I could not fit a helmet. i heard there is a way to drop the seats a little further back, but they still have no recline.

I could not justify the move from my current SL to the new, especially with 0 interior change. I opted for a 560 because most of the same performance improvements can be found in the 560 engine and gearbox.

The seats have two positions, they can be tilted forward or backward, I've heard of special seat railings that allow you to decrease the height of the seat maybe that would help with your helmet issue, the SL seats are not the most comfortable

seats but that's what you get if you drive a sports car :)

I test drove the 570 SL and 560 back to back there was quite a lot of difference in my personal opinion, I found the gear shifts in Corsa to be a lot sharper on the 570 over all a more thrilling car to drive.

The difference is quite possibly more accentuated than the difference you would get going from the standard 5.0 to the previous model SL.

don't you guys have the sports CF backed bucket seats standard for the OLD superleggera?

we have those fitted as standard equipments here back in 2007/2008 in Australia

cheers,

richie

don't you guys have the sports CF backed bucket seats standard for the OLD superleggera?

we have those fitted as standard equipments here back in 2007/2008 in Australia

cheers,

richie

No sports CF backed bucket for the old SL in USA due to DOT.

No sports CF backed bucket for the old SL in USA due to DOT.

And Canada as well. :crybaby2: DOT won't allow lack of side airbags.

Those are different seats altogether --- big, fat & heavy seats! Here are pics for comparisons.

SL_Seats__16_.jpg

SL_Seats__19_.jpg

SL_Seats__21_.jpg

Wow, those US seats look horrible!! What is the weight difference?

Forgot the exact weight but in excess of 40+ pounds (about 20kgs); keep in mind of the side airbag, the power recline etc... They don't look too bad standing alone but compare to the CF sports seats, they are indeed horrible.

So here's the scoop. The old Superleggera didn't get the sport seats because Lamborghini reused the model certification. So the old Superleggera counted as a regular Gallardo model and the regular Gallardo model had been certified with side-airbags, so you couldn't change that after the fact. The new car has certified as its own model, so they could do it with the sport seats. It doesn't seem like DOT has any requirements that new cars must have side-airbags, just that you can't certify a car with them and then sell one without them.

The seats do have two settings. I just got mine put back into the more-reclined setting, which means I have about half an inch of clearance now. This does mean that it's hard to fit comfortably with a helmet. But Lamborghini had a shit ton of padding in the seats. A good upholstery shop should be able to take some of that out without hurting the look and give you more clearance.

The CCB kit is ~$14k to get mounted after the fact. I would not recommend getting it if you're tracking your car a ton. The CCBs won't clear a 18" wheel, so you'll have a hard time finding slicks.

I sat in a new SL. Seats look amazing but are even more uncomfortable than the standard seats. However, if I was ordering the car, I would still spec the sport seat and try to work with it. The position was terrible for me. Might require some customr fabricated brackets to get to individual liking.

I disagree with the "well it is a sports car" comment.

I have a set of Recaro CS seats in my Porsche. They are pretty light and very comfortable. I find Recaro Pole Position buckets or the Porsche GT3 seats much more comfortable as well.

Also, if anyone wants to trade their uncomforable sport seats for the standard seat (yellow stictching), let me know. :)

Hey I started the thread so I get first dibs on a yellow stiched pair! :)

Also, contrary to some here I think the CCB's are worth it for the look, feel and lack of brake dust.

Webster,

Before you do anything to it, get a weight on it with half a tank of gas. Be interesting to see a real figure.

• 5 months later...

So, has anyone with a 07-08 SL ordered the new sport seats within the US and installed into the old SL. I know there were some people that were able to get them for Europe when they were "illegal". Are the new gen SL sport seats a straight swap for the standard seats?

Value - The new car is better, but I can't justify the delta of well over a 100K. I'll have one someday but that

will be a couple/few years down the road. For all of you ordering them, please get CCB's and sport

buckets, this will give me a greater pool to choose from in the secondary market:)

:eusa_think: :eusa_think: :eusa_think: :eusa_think: :eusa_think: :eusa_think:

I priced these out through a dealer and they are far from cheap. I have some good guys I deal with

but way too expensive IMO

Very Funny!!

I had to do it in two steps...one step was more

Than I could handle!

have you had some decent seat time with your 570? what do you think now about it?

A single testdrive doesn't tell the whole story does it? :icon_mrgreen:

have you had some decent seat time with your 570? what do you think now about it?

A single testdrive doesn't tell the whole story does it? :icon_mrgreen:

I have not received it yet. I'll be sure to post about the new car experience!