BMW X5 Diesel

kinnsella

With another one on the way due in March, we just ordered an X5 diesel, which will replace our 07 RRSS. The RRSS is too small (my 88 Ford Festiva had more interior room if you put the seats down) plus my wife hates the dealership (hornburg santa monica) since it has been unreliable and routinely they blow her off when she takes the car in. Which means I have to take back the car, argue and waste my time. We are buying it from Bob Smith BMW, I have purchased two others cars there, great sales experience - pm me for the sales info and I have had a great service experience there ...they don't automatically think you are lying when you bring the car in...

X5 gets 29 miles to the gallon on the freeway and their are upgrades for the engine which will reduce that. Stock it has 425 ft pounds of torque at 1,750 rpm. RRSS with my wife driving it averaged 15 mpg....me 9. Since we live at 2,000 feet and drive down to sea level every day frequently, I have lost count of the brake changes on the RR....front and back combined it must be at least 7 or 8 sets of pads in 60k miles. I am on a first name basis at the brake shop now....they can turn me around in 30 mins.....

We drove them all...Audi q5 and q7, MER, BMW, RRSS, RR, LR4, Acura MDX, Lexus, Infiniti et al. The BMW is an ugly car..but it works well. Mommy mobile...priorities change.

BMW is offering a $4500 credit on them now before you start negotiating.

With another one on the way, we just ordered an X5 diesel, which will replace our 07 RRSS. The RRSS is too small (my 88 Ford Festiva had more interior room if put the seats down) plus my wife hates the dealership (hornburg) since it has been unreliable and routinely they blow her off when she takes the car in. Which means I have to take back the car, argue and waste my time.

X5 gets 29 miles to the gallon on the freeway and their are upgrades for the engine which will reduce that. Stock it has 425 ft pounds of torque at 1,750 rpm. RRSS with my wife driving it averaged 15 mph....me 9.

We drove them all...Audi q5 and q7, MER, BMW, RR, LR, Acura, Lexus, Infiniti et al. The BMW is an ugly car..but it works well. Mommy mobile...priorities change.

BMW is offering a $4500 credit on them now before you start negotiating.

Just got mine 3 weeks ago, great vehicle.

All Black X5 with black grill kit, Ferris 21" wheels and every option other than the third row seats. The thing is a race car in sport mode and I average 28 mpg on the highway, 24 combined. Love the new nav system and the perforated seats with the cooling option. The lane deparure warning system is a little wierd until you get used to it, but the heads up dispay is really nice. The diesel is super quiet and has no smell or smoke. No glow plugs either and it feels like it would pull a house. I will post some pix tomorrow whn the light is better.

You think it's ugly? My next door neighbor got a petrol one with the m package and it looks good. The 750 il hybrid has more space though. It's huge on the inside.

You think it's ugly? My next door neighbor got a petrol one with the m package and it looks good. The 750 il hybrid has more space though. It's huge on the inside.

mommy mobile....no m package necessary. Plus they don't make an M diesel....

diesel is the way to go, wish more cars and SUVs went this route. Imagine if they came out with Hybrid Diesels, fuel economy would be great.

diesel is the way to go, wish more cars and SUVs went this route. Imagine if they came out with Hybrid Diesels, fuel economy would be great.

Peugeot are releasing one. Click

I am probably one of a few people on here that think that diesel engines are fantastic.

Seems like an obvious choice but the reason they haven't been is cost. Diesel engines cost more and couples with a hybrid system would raise the price of the vehicle too much to mKe it worth it.

Congrats on the pickup Kinsella...let us know how the diesel turns out over the long haul.

BTW, did you ever check out the XC90 during the shopping process?

What is your feeling about the urea tank? I think it is going to negate most of the savings that you have in fuel economy. I am down with the performance though, I would love to have a diesel but they are so much more money than a regular gas engine car that I have a hard time amortizing the cost savings especially with diesel fuel being more expensive than premium.

I bet the thing drives amazingly well. As for the brakes, I have found BMW to be pretty bad too, super soft pads. Although, they are covered under warranty for the first 50k so that is key! Do they include the urea tank in the scheduled maintenance? I head that filling the urea tank is as expensive as the oil change (around $100). I also heard that if you run out, the car will not start after you shut it off if the tank is empty. Mercedes at least gives you something like 20-30 starts after that.

As for the looks, I like the looks of the car. I love the M package, I am sure you could bolt on the bumpers if you wanted to add the look. As for the Rover, I think that they are shit. Not bad looking, but fuel economy, servicing, price of parts etc... Horrible. Good luck with the new truck!

Congrats! It is ugly but the engine is superb.

What is your feeling about the urea tank? I think it is going to negate most of the savings that you have in fuel economy. I am down with the performance though, I would love to have a diesel but they are so much more money than a regular gas engine car that I have a hard time amortizing the cost savings especially with diesel fuel being more expensive than premium.

I bet the thing drives amazingly well. As for the brakes, I have found BMW to be pretty bad too, super soft pads. Although, they are covered under warranty for the first 50k so that is key! Do they include the urea tank in the scheduled maintenance? I head that filling the urea tank is as expensive as the oil change (around $100). I also heard that if you run out, the car will not start after you shut it off if the tank is empty. Mercedes at least gives you something like 20-30 starts after that.

As for the looks, I like the looks of the car. I love the M package, I am sure you could bolt on the bumpers if you wanted to add the look. As for the Rover, I think that they are shit. Not bad looking, but fuel economy, servicing, price of parts etc... Horrible. Good luck with the new truck!

Urea is covered under BMW. It's only 5 dollars a gallon at a truck stop, and it's all made by the same company. For some reason the Germans love to charge $15-20 for the stuff.

BMW basically knocks off enough to bring it to a similar price of the regular 35, you get more torque, and better mileage. A no brainer.

Congrats on the pickup Kinsella...let us know how the diesel turns out over the long haul.

BTW, did you ever check out the XC90 during the shopping process?

No I never considered them....Volvo's future is very murky considering the new chinese ownership...don't want to be pontiaced in a few years if they bail.

Congrats! It is ugly but the engine is superb.

Urea is covered under BMW. It's only 5 dollars a gallon at a truck stop, and it's all made by the same company. For some reason the Germans love to charge $15-20 for the stuff.

BMW basically knocks off enough to bring it to a similar price of the regular 35, you get more torque, and better mileage. A no brainer.

Actually on a 3 yr lease, the regular 35 was slightly more expensive.

umm, what is wrong with the Q7 TDI?

40 less hp, less torque, doesn't drive as nice, maintenance not included, worse fuel econ. Other than that, it is great.

With the $4500 instant tax reduction, even if there is no saving, you cannot dispute the torque of the diesel and the smoothness of it. It barely takes a breath when going up steep hills on cruise, the gas version does a big downshift to manage the same hill.

post-15160-1283357520.jpg

With the $4500 instant tax reduction, even if there is no saving, you cannot dispute the torque of the diesel and the smoothness of it. It barely takes a breath when going up steep hills on cruise, the gas version does a big downshift to manage the same hill.

Looks good! Is the fuel economy as they said it would be, I mean, is the mileage close to what the sticker claims?

Looks good! Is the fuel economy as they said it would be, I mean, is the mileage close to what the sticker claims?

Sticker said 26 HYW I am actually getting better than that. One tank all highway driving I got 28.8mpg the next time I got 28.6mpg. Diesel is the way to go, can't wait to pull my trailer withe the Murcie on it this weekend.

Sticker said 26 HYW I am actually getting better than that. One tank all highway driving I got 28.8mpg the next time I got 28.6mpg. Diesel is the way to go, can't wait to pull my trailer withe the Murcie on it this weekend.

A buddy of mine got 30 mpg travelling from LA to Mammoth averaging 80 mph...he lives near me, which is a very hilly area and averages around 23mpg driving around town. Though I must admit he does drive like an old lady.

• 2 months later...

Just picked it up today. Love the diesel engine. Great truck.

My wife had a 07 RRSS and this was the replacement vehicle. It is so much better in so many ways. Much larger, important with kid #2 around the corner. Drives better, the RRSS felt like a brick, and we didn't get the sport package, my son is in love with the massive sunroof, is just as fast, the bluetooth works...its not like talking in a sandstorm anymore. Much higher quality interior, the RR felt it was built from rejected lego parts.

The only thing the RRSS does better, is it a better looking vehicle.

Getting the chip upgrade

60 hp and 100 ft pounds of torque.

The truck will make 325 hp and 525 ft pounds of torque.

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_JBD_diesel...mance_chip.html

if you bought it : chip / inter cooler upgrade & water sprayer/ down pipe. Dinan & look into the bmw tuners, non of the uk or euro spec tunes or parts are legal or compatible for usdm versions.

leased ? : leave it stock.

best MPG for the Diesel power plants is just roll the throttle from standing starts and hard compound tires / light weight rims.

Rolling the throttle = just like when you floor a Rolls Royce Phantom where its a smooth consistence flow of power, where as stomping on the throttle @ 100% on a green light.