Cuban Cigars

FrankieFred

Does anyone know or have had experience with an online retailer that ships authentic Cubans to the States? Did some research and found a few but wanted to see what your guys opinions were.

Usually are sold in back rooms through your local retailers. The few I've picked up were through those means, or through an Internet forum site a few years back (can't remember the name at the moment).

If you find a way - let us know! I'm dying for some Cohiba Sig VI's.

Are Cuban cigars really that good? I have heard the Dominican Republic cigars are better, I have had many DR cigars and I like them.

Are Cuban cigars really that good? I have heard the Dominican Republic cigars are better, I have had many DR cigars and I like them.

I've had great cubans and shitty Dominicans and great Dominicans and shitty cubans. Taste is pretty subjective on these things and everyone has their favorites. My favorite every day smoke is a Dominican (Arturo fuente Hemingway short story), but my all time favorite cigar was a Cuban Cohiba followed by a Cuban montecristo...of course at the time I was smoking said cigars I had just polished off a beautiful steak at Del Friscos Double Eagle Steakhouse and was enjoying the company of my best friends...atmosphere has much to do with enjoying a great cigar!

I have a quite a collection of cubans. I'll buy regular favorites of mine and whenever a special edition comes out I'll buy two boxes, one to age and smoke and then one to never be opened. Its almost like having a wine cellar but with just cigars. We have a friend of ours that knows this owner personally and we have ordered a substantial amount from them without a problem and they are all legit. They also guarantee delivery.

Puroexpress.com

I have a quite a collection of cubans. I'll buy regular favorites of mine and whenever a special edition comes out I'll buy two boxes, one to age and smoke and then one to never be opened. Its almost like having a wine cellar but with just cigars. We have a friend of ours that knows this owner personally and we have ordered a substantial amount from them without a problem and they are all legit. They also guarantee delivery.

Puroexpress.com

Don't you need a pretty big humidor to stock all those cigars you won't smoke or how do stock them?

Don't you need a pretty big humidor to stock all those cigars you won't smoke or how do stock them?

Of course I smoke them but I do have an end table humidor which holds a pretty good amount and I also have a wall humidor. Looks like a small china cabinet.

While on the the topic of humidors, which method do you guys prefer to keep humidity up? I have about a 150ct box right now, and have been going old-school with the sponge. It's a bit empty right now, and need to refill it and get it back up to temps. Any suggestions?

While on the the topic of humidors, which method do you guys prefer to keep humidity up? I have about a 150ct box right now, and have been going old-school with the sponge. It's a bit empty right now, and need to refill it and get it back up to temps. Any suggestions?

This is what I have in my end table humidor

http://www.cigaroasis.com/

I have the XL plus. works great.

The big one has a built in system.

Someone put a cigar under my wiper blade of my 944 not long ago. Still haven't figured out who or why :lol2:

Made me think about scotch and cigars.

This is what I have in my end table humidor

http://www.cigaroasis.com/

I have the XL plus. works great.

The big one has a built in system.

Head about them, but never knew anyone who used them - thanks!

I'm the friend with the humidor - I usually end up giving away most of my smokes!

• 1 year later...

Just reviving this thread. Been looking around at cigar reviews and about to pull the trigger on two boxes of Cubans. Here's my short list, if anyone from LP wants to chime in I'd appreciate it!

H.Upmann No. 2 (going to store long term - was wanting a box of Monte No. 2's but have heard of quality control issues that I don't want to F with).

Cohiba Siglo II - Classic, easy to smoke, great to hand out to friends

Partagas Series D. No. 4 - (Also have heard some nasty quality control issues - but it's a staple).

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 2 - In lieu of the Partagas...

The H. Upmann Magnum 46 is another highly rated Robusto that you could sub for the Partagas. However, a recent box I received was a let down so they also seem to have quality control problems.

If you're a fan of Churchills, the Ramon Allones Gigantes is very highly rated and a better overall value than the Sir Winston (H. Upmann), Lusitania (Partagas), etc.

Even though you were specifically asking about Cubans, my generic advice would be to sample anything from Padron's 1926 or 1964 line. They're not cheap but their quality is beyond that of any Cubans you can buy (save for the limited release Behike's etc.)

If you're in the market for a really great cigar that's also a great value my go to has been the La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero. I've smoked about 20 boxes in the past 5 years and the quality has never faltered.

The H. Upmann Magnum 46 is another highly rated Robusto that you could sub for the Partagas. However, a recent box I received was a let down so they also seem to have quality control problems.

If you're a fan of Churchills, the Ramon Allones Gigantes is very highly rated and a better overall value than the Sir Winston (H. Upmann), Lusitania (Partagas), etc.

Even though you were specifically asking about Cubans, my generic advice would be to sample anything from Padron's 1926 or 1964 line. They're not cheap but their quality is beyond that of any Cubans you can buy (save for the limited release Behike's etc.)

If you're in the market for a really great cigar that's also a great value my go to has been the La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero. I've smoked about 20 boxes in the past 5 years and the quality has never faltered.

I love the Padron Anniversaries. And the La Flors are also a great stick. I also like the Rocky Patel's Vintage line - but it's been awhile since I've had one.

What is your preferred online source for those? My local shop charges outrageous amounts.

The best source I've found for non-cubans is tampahumidor.com

If you buy a decent amount it's worth it to pay $50/year to be a buyer's club member which gets you an additional 10% off every order.

The other trick is to join their mailing list and wait for the good sales. They usually have a 10-15% off everything sale once every couple months.

So in total you can typically pay 20-25% off their online prices if you are patient and have a humidor big enough to store in bulk. Also, their customer service has always been very good.

And FWIW, I had an Opus X double corona years ago at New Year's and LOVED it. But again, hard to find and often expensive.

If you are ever in Vegas they have Arturo Fuente shop at the Forum Shop at Caesars....ridiculously expensive but they have some good smokes with a wide variety of Opus X...dominican instead of cubans, but the Opus X have been consistently good in my experience, as have the regular Fuente Hemingways. So if you are ever in Vegas and looking for some more Opus X, that would be a place to try. Back when Opus X were crazy scarce, I found some, of all places, at a Downtown Disney cigar shop at Disneyworld...Its been forever since Ive had to do any mail order, as a shop just on the AZ/NM border stocks all of my favorites (in fact they have a better variety than most of the stores I went to in Dallas when I lived in Dallas. I have no idea how good their mail order service is since I buy in store, but they have a great selection at great prices...I dont think they carry cubans but Ive never asked (they do have a "head" shop in there as well so you never know! :icon_mrgreen: ).

Tee Pee Smoke Shop

its in a literal 60 foot tall teepee off the side of the road, along with a bunch of other "Native American" tourist stops that followed Rt 66...

I've never been a huge fan of Opus X's. I think they're great cigars, no complaints on that front, just not really worth the money or headache of finding them.

That being said, I do feel like the entire Fuente line is under rated and for such a big (and old) company it's surprising they've been able to keep the quality up.