1900+ WHP Underground Racing Superleggera??

Underground Racing

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what would be an upgrade from the R888's ?

Mickey thompsons or Hoosiers with some 17 or 18 in custom rims?

INSANE!!!

What sort of psi are you running on this compared to the normal tt builds?

Mickey thompsons or Hoosiers with some 17 or 18 in custom rims?

a drag tire would scare the bejesus out of me at those speeds, they really aren't rated for that type of thing.

I have a set of 15w" x 28"T x 18" Rim ALMS roadracing slicks sitting around for just this sort of thing. Same tire they run on the rear of the ALMS P1 prototype cars. :D They need some heat to really hook but with some good tire warmers and some smoke action they grip VERY well, and are safe well over 200 mph continuous.

a drag tire would scare the bejesus out of me at those speeds, they really aren't rated for that type of thing.

I have a set of 15w" x 28"T x 18" Rim ALMS roadracing slicks sitting around for just this sort of thing. Same tire they run on the rear of the ALMS P1 prototype cars. :D They need some heat to really hook but with some good tire warmers and some smoke action they grip VERY well, and are safe well over 200 mph continuous.

I see them on cars that do over 300mph in the quarter mile. Why wouldn't they work over a longer distance??

I see them on cars that do over 300mph in the quarter mile. Why wouldn't they work over a longer distance??

The speed ratings on tires are usually considered what they can safely handle for a duration of time. If you look at the wave/ripple that happens on a soft sidewall drag tire (this happens on any tire, but more pronounced on the big slicks) this is what generates a tremendous amount of heat/stress to the tire. For a short drag race blast, this is within the design parameters of the tires but for a relatively long pull like a mile or land speed racing this can cause catastrophic breakdown of the tire. You may get away with it, you may not but in my opinion it is better to approach the situation with a tire that is designed with longer duration high speeds in mind.

A lot of guys simply don't like the feeling of the soft sidewall tires and when you have to manage that for a lot longer pull (in a chassis that may or may not be ideal for such a tire) it can be a unnerving experience. At the drag strip the run is pretty short, you only have to keep it gathered up for a short amount of distance and then the ride is over. LOL At the mile I am sure that back half of the track would feel like an eternity if the car was swaying and moving all over on the tires.

Ever driven a car on a big slick like that at literally 3psi? fcuk if I'm trying that on a runway with a less than perfect surface!

Plus you're talking about top fuel tires, there isn't a god damn chance that would fit on anything reasonably resembling a street car.

As JRR stated, the lifespan of those tires is only a couple runs, and mere seconds at those speeds. A single mile pull would exceed the stress time of the tire multiples beyond it's normal lifespan.

Besides, IF the car starts skating around, a soft wall slick is FAR more likely to tuck an edge and roll the car. At least with a road race type slick it will slide and give you half a chance of at least keeping the car on the ground.

Ever driven a car on a big slick like that at literally 3psi? fcuk if I'm trying that on a runway with a less than perfect surface!

Plus you're talking about top fuel tires, there isn't a god damn chance that would fit on anything reasonably resembling a street car.

As JRR stated, the lifespan of those tires is only a couple runs, and mere seconds at those speeds. A single mile pull would exceed the stress time of the tire multiples beyond it's normal lifespan.

Besides, IF the car starts skating around, a soft wall slick is FAR more likely to tuck an edge and roll the car. At least with a road race type slick it will slide and give you half a chance of at least keeping the car on the ground.

Dont know much about drag tires. Challenge is that you figure that the Veyron engineers are scared $hitless over the Michelins that were specifically designed and engineered for that car. Maybe the route you mentioned earlier may be the best for this application, however, those cars arent making near this much power.

All in all I truly wish the best of luck to the UGR camp with their runs, and I wish all the drivers the best of luck in their cars. These events are a blast, and I hope all high HP application cars are keeping safety as their main concern as all it takes is 1 bad run to shut down almost all of these events due to not being able to obtain liability insurance.

Maybe a tire manufacturer can produce something for this type of event that can hold the stresses that these cars put on the tires. If I was driving a $200,000 car with a $150,000 in mods, it would be worth my life to invest $10,000-$20,000 in tires if the tire companies would produce something for this application. Safety at those speeds should be the main concern.

Dont know much about drag tires. Challenge is that you figure that the Veyron engineers are scared $hitless over the Michelins that were specifically designed and engineered for that car. Maybe the route you mentioned earlier may be the best for this application, however, those cars arent making near this much power.

All in all I truly wish the best of luck to the UGR camp with their runs, and I wish all the drivers the best of luck in their cars. These events are a blast, and I hope all high HP application cars are keeping safety as their main concern as all it takes is 1 bad run to shut down almost all of these events due to not being able to obtain liability insurance.

Maybe a tire manufacturer can produce something for this type of event that can hold the stresses that these cars put on the tires. If I was driving a $200,000 car with a $150,000 in mods, it would be worth my life to invest $10,000-$20,000 in tires if the tire companies would produce something for this application. Safety at those speeds should be the main concern.

x2

You think it'd only cost that? Try multiplying that by 20, maybe even a 100 for the development costs that would be incurred trying to speed rate a 260+ mph tire to last that time duration for your specific application and to your size requirements. They would also like to know any kind of downforce loading the tires would experience + the control aspect of the tire wall itself. Thermal loading at those speeds would be unreal. There's a reason why tires are one of the most important things in F1

Great work guys. Truly astonishing. I'm also wondering what kind of boost you need to achieve those numbers. Does it hold it well throughout the higher RPMs? Is it still stock displacement?

You think it'd only cost that? Try multiplying that by 20, maybe even a 100 for the development costs that would be incurred trying to speed rate a 260+ mph tire to last that time duration for your specific application and to your size requirements. They would also like to know any kind of downforce loading the tires would experience + the control aspect of the tire wall itself. Thermal loading at those speeds would be unreal. There's a reason why tires are one of the most important things in F1

not talking cost of development. Talking cost of sale. Pretty sure F1 tires aren't $100,000 a set.

There are plenty of cars making 1000+rwhp these days and that have high speed capabilities. Might be a good

market to go after. Plus, what tire company doesn't want to be associated with world records?

Great work guys. Truly astonishing. I'm also wondering what kind of boost you need to achieve those numbers. Does it hold it well throughout the higher RPMs? Is it still stock displacement?

Thanks! Its still stock displacement. Power keeps climbing until we let out. The other mile car makes power all the way to 9000 RPM's

:icon_thumleft: Im not surprised in the least. I knew it would only be a matter of time. 1900 with AWD and E-Gear? There is no competition.

Not sure we will run those Gallardo's at that kind of power level or even close to it at the mile event. It will be up to the drivers on what they feel comfortable with. When its all done we hope the TT Gallardo are still the king of the Texas Mile. As of now the TT Gallardo is the ONLY car to run 250 MPH in the standing mile at a sanctioned event and that is something all Lamborghini owners should be proud of. There should be a few cars there that should be able to hit the 250 mph mark besides the TT Gallardo's. We will have our work cut out for us and we also hope that everyone has a safe weekend!

Not sure we will run those Gallardo's at that kind of power level or even close to it at the mile event. It will be up to the drivers on what they feel comfortable with. When its all done we hope the TT Gallardo is still the king of the Texas Mile. As of now the TT Gallardo is the ONLY car to run 250 MPH in the standing mile at a sanctioned event and that is something all Lamborghini owners should be proud of. There should be a few cars there that should be able to hit the 250 mph mark besides the TT Gallardo's. We will have our work cut out for us and we also hope that everyone has a safe weekend!

Ill take two :icon_thumleft:

We only rev this one to 8100 RPM's

Thanks for the reply.

What are the vertical divisions on the graph set at? 500 rpm? Just trying to get an idea of the rev range this beast makes power, not just the max revs at max power.

It looks much less "dyno queen" than other graphs. Standard manifold probably helps a lot here too?

Not sure we will run those Gallardo's at that kind of power level or even close to it at the mile event. It will be up to the drivers on what they feel comfortable with. When its all done we hope the TT Gallardo is still the king of the Texas Mile. As of now the TT Gallardo is the ONLY car to run 250 MPH in the standing mile at a sanctioned event and that is something all Lamborghini owners should be proud of. There should be a few cars there that should be able to hit the 250 mph mark besides the TT Gallardo's. We will have our work cut out for us and we also hope that everyone has a safe weekend!

didnt a Ford GT hit 250+?