BMW Issues Massive Recall

Jpegs13

Have an 07 335i. My gal was running a little slow the other day, so I took it to the dealership and told them ITS TIME TO STEP UP!

It hasn't gotten old for me yet. :P

In all seriousness, In 3 weeks of ownership I have been to the dealership 2 times. 2 weekends ago, I was on the way to the beach with my wife and another couple, and the girl in the back puts her window down to throw out gum, and I hear a creak when it goes up. Get off the 395 bridge to South Beach, and I hear that the window isnt fully closed, so I try and put it up. Nothing-Then the stupid malfunctioning window light goes off. Can't leave a BMW with the back window completely down at South Beach, so had to make an emergency pit stop on my wife's birthday to the dealership.

My car has been sluggish, so I took it in to fix that, plus my secondary brake sensors on my rear brakes were squealing when the got warmed up, so they had to change the brake pads (Would have been $1000 out of warranty).

Had them change the rubber windshield strip at the top of the windshield as it was getting cracked (Was like this when I bought it)

Car is fast, but if this crap keeps going, it will be gone soon.

BMW does not build quality cars. As soon as we got our 535 home brand new I was doing something with the rear 'power port' and the whole panel fell off. The cupholder also got stuck a week later, etc.

People buy Bimmers often for the name, they deal with the BS because the cars drive well, but they are never trouble free ownerships.

Have an 07 335i. My gal was running a little slow the other day, so I took it to the dealership and told them ITS TIME TO STEP UP!

It hasn't gotten old for me yet. :P

In all seriousness, In 3 weeks of ownership I have been to the dealership 2 times. 2 weekends ago, I was on the way to the beach with my wife and another couple, and the girl in the back puts her window down to throw out gum, and I hear a creak when it goes up. Get off the 395 bridge to South Beach, and I hear that the window isnt fully closed, so I try and put it up. Nothing-Then the stupid malfunctioning window light goes off. Can't leave a BMW with the back window completely down at South Beach, so had to make an emergency pit stop on my wife's birthday to the dealership.

My car has been sluggish, so I took it in to fix that, plus my secondary brake sensors on my rear brakes were squealing when the got warmed up, so they had to change the brake pads (Would have been $1000 out of warranty).

Had them change the rubber windshield strip at the top of the windshield as it was getting cracked (Was like this when I bought it)

I cringe thinking about the cost of ownership I incurred when I had my 2005 545i

BMW does not build quality cars. As soon as we got our 535 home brand new I was doing something with the rear 'power port' and the whole panel fell off. The cupholder also got stuck a week later, etc.

People buy Bimmers often for the name, they deal with the BS because the cars drive well, but they are never trouble free ownerships.

x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

German Engineering=German headaches.

I'm not sure what the point of this is (other than to try to get the applicable government agencies off their backs) unless the dumb SOB's have figured out a fix for this 3 year old problem. We had a 335 that had its fuel pump replaced three times, and some have had more than that. BMW has supposedly been through several iterations of FP's in an effort to find one that works consistently, to no avail. So maybe the problem isn't the pump so much as it's something else, like a design defect? In any event it's laughable that they haven't been able to come up with a fix.

Looks like I'll be getting a recall letter. Although my 2008 335 has run like a champ on the original HPFP. I'm at 35K miles. I already have an official letter from BMW stating my fuel pump is covered under warranty up to 10 years/120K miles. I'm kinda hesitant to take mine in because they might mess things up...mine ain't broken, so I don't want to 'fix' it.

And yes, I'm knocking on wood as I type every single word in this post. lol

I've logged over 30k miles on my 335 and haven't had any issues, yet...

:iamwithstupid:

Strange, didn't know that. Never had a single problem with mine, ever. And I drove it daily like a beast from hell...Spanking new 50miles on the odometer till 35k in one year, not a thing wrong.

335 seems to be a popular choice on LP!

I wonder if the FP is what caused the drop in peak power when I test drove a cab a while back.

Not sure how long warranties run for in the US but, personally if they are prone to issues I would swap out the fuel pump for a high flow aftermarket one, less chance of failure and better performance.

Yea something strange is going on. They must be getting sued for wrongful death or a classaction suit. It blows my mind that the car has been out 4 years and they haven't been able to fix that issue, or the brake squeal issue once the pads are sligtly worn.

I had a 2001 e46 BMW with 2 issues over a 3 year ownership experience-blown clutch which was my fault, and torn flex disc which was likely also my fault. No other issues.

My gal was running a little slow the other day...

No. Bad Mike. :eusa_naughty:

On topic: So this is an actual issue and not a Toyota accelerator pedal one?

No. Bad Mike. :eusa_naughty:

On topic: So this is an actual issue and not a Toyota accelerator pedal one?

it is an actual issue. BMW's main fix now is a "software update" that lowered your boost so the turbos never run high enough to push the fuel pump near top end of what as suppose to be normal operating limits.

Bought a new 750i a little more than year ago, its been in the shop twice, total down time of nearly a month, started off with a fuel pump isssue then computers started frying, its great driving/handling boat of a car, but a month downtime blows!

I have an 09 335i and my buddy of mine has an 08 335i. Both had fuel pumps replaced, mine started idling roughly at first then went into limp home mode. I had a chip upgrade which put out about 80 extra hp to the rear wheels, so mine went first. Pulled the chip out and took it to the dealer. They extended the warranty on my engine to 100,000 miles automatically. Plus I have heard through a friend that works at Bob Smith BMW Calabasas that they will take them back without a fight as they don't want to have them "lemoned" if you have had problems.

My car has the upgraded fuel pump, still doesn't idle quite right. That said, it is still an awesome car.

My service advisor told me the problem seemed to be in states where the fuel had a lot of detergents like NY and CA. Not sure if that is BS or not....

Not the first major issue with BMW engines....I seem to remember they had big problems when they introduced their V8's into the US, the high sulphur content in US gas destroyed the engines. The early E46 M3 engines had problems too.

Bought a new 750i a little more than year ago, its been in the shop twice, total down time of nearly a month, started off with a fuel pump isssue then computers started frying, its great driving/handling boat of a car, but a month downtime blows!

B,

Did you have a lot of issues with your 5 series?

B,

Did you have a lot of issues with your 5 series?

Had a couple of problems, the Vanos line burst when it was new, and the SMG actuator unit also failed.

Had a couple of problems, the Vanos line burst when it was new, and the SMG actuator unit also failed.

Was STRONGLY considering an E60 M5 before I bought the 335i, but I got hung up on being out of warranty in a car that has many expensive problems that seem to come up often.

I have an 09 335i and my buddy of mine has an 08 335i. Both had fuel pumps replaced, mine started idling roughly at first then went into limp home mode. I had a chip upgrade which put out about 80 extra hp to the rear wheels, so mine went first. Pulled the chip out and took it to the dealer. They extended the warranty on my engine to 100,000 miles automatically. Plus I have heard through a friend that works at Bob Smith BMW Calabasas that they will take them back without a fight as they don't want to have them "lemoned" if you have had problems.

My car has the upgraded fuel pump, still doesn't idle quite right. That said, it is still an awesome car.

My service advisor told me the problem seemed to be in states where the fuel had a lot of detergents like NY and CA. Not sure if that is BS or not....

Not the first major issue with BMW engines....I seem to remember they had big problems when they introduced their V8's into the US, the high sulphur content in US gas destroyed the engines. The early E46 M3 engines had problems too.

I'd also like to say in my experience BMW has phenomenal customer support. They have always gone above and beyond to make me happy. I can confirm through a personal experience BMW does anything they can to prevent "lemoning" a car, while also trying to make you as happy as possible.

Was STRONGLY considering an E60 M5 before I bought the 335i, but I got hung up on being out of warranty in a car that has many expensive problems that seem to come up often.

I had regular monthly repair bills over $1g on my 5 series, and that was with going to a trusted indy shop...

I work in a shop that specializes in BMW. In fact we have brand new cars brought to us directly from the dealers for fresh oil changes, and complete module scans. We have found numerous codes and issues in the BRAN-NEW Bimmers, before they even really hit the street. The fuel pump is a VERY common one as it does have its own module.

The "Valvetronic" system in the cars is a huge issue as well. Head gasket problems on the V8's is becoming rampant. Coolant leaks from the center pipe under the intake manifold are a huge problem in the N54 engine. This job requires the timing cover to be removed to repair, but thankfully and ingenious aftermarket device turns a 30 hour repair into 8 hours tops.

"Clacking" engines and Vanos faults are the norm, as well as jerky engine response on cold start.

Power wise they are excellent, and very smooth once warm however, and the handling is very good.

I would NEVER buy a 2005 and up Bimmer. I'll stick with my E39 530i. Bullet proof, comfy, and the perfect amount of power for day-to-day driving.