Groupon says "No thanks" to $5-$6 BILLION Offer

CL6

Anyone know his age? It says on his Wiki that he graduated college in 2003, so I am guessing if he graduated at 22, he'd be 29 now...?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep a valuation of $1.3B offered $6B...................Dumb. The kid just cant let go of his baby.

Really??? You're concerned with how Google will run your company? They've been the fastest growing monster company in the world over the last decade. They are this Decade's Microsoft. Take the money and run. Shit stay on as CEO...But sell sell sell.

I was reading Amazon.com had offered Tony Hseigh to buy Zappos in 2005, but he turned it down for fear that they would ruin the company, Amazon bought it a few years later.

I was reading Amazon.com had offered Tony Hseigh to buy Zappos in 2005, but he turned it down for fear that they would ruin the company, Amazon bought it a few years later.

That was because of Sequoia. Not Tony.

Of course there are exceptions like Ikea man and so forth but one cannot take a sample size of ONE and draw conclusions. The reason we know about these aberrations like Buffett living in his original home is because they are just that - aberrations.

For me I like the idea of a large payout then living off passive stream. My motivation for money is quite low while my motivation for balance is very high.

It's not based on ONE. There are several, but most likely you won't know any wealthy people that are modest with their spending because you are not.

It's not everyones objective in life is to make the most and spend the most and be over leveraged. There are COUNTLESS motives for starting a business. Almost anyone could start a successful business as long as they have the balls and passion for it. It's not just for people that want to spend the most $ before they are 6 feet under.

Like I said before. For some owners, their business it's their "kid"/life. Would you sell your kid/life for 5 billion?

Like I said before. For some owners, their business it's their "kid"/life. Would you sell your kid/life for 5 billion?

I am 100% certain that you don't have any kids your business is NEVER your kid nor your life so your question doesn't make a lot of sense.

$5 billion in order not to have to worry about $$ ever in your life please SHOW ME THE MONEY :icon_mrgreen:

I am 100% certain that you don't have any kids your business is NEVER your kid nor your life so your question doesn't make a lot of sense.

$5 billion in order not to have to worry about $$ ever in your life please SHOW ME THE MONEY :icon_mrgreen:

:iamwithstupid:

Fortis lives on, he can't stop posting!

That's why I put "kid".

A good friend of the family runs a very successful company. It's worth 100m. The company is pulling in 10m a year in profits, year after year. His company is HIS LIFE (I know because he told me exactly that). Yes he has kids, and of course they are most important, but after that the company is his life! He doesn't care about the $$. He drives a 15 year old car. He enjoys spending money on his kids but he doesn't need or want a lambo/veyron/rang rover/bmw/mega yacht/other_expensive_stuff and he is not over leveraged to the slightest degree.

Not every business owner starts a company because of the $ or wanting a baller life style. There are SO many different reasons for starting your own company.

Of course people on a LAMBORGHINI forum want to spend their $ on expensive stuff, that's a no brainier. It doesn't mean 90%, hell even 50% of successful business owners want a business so they can get "nicer" stuff. That's my point.

That's why I put "kid".

A good friend of the family runs a very successful company. It's worth 100m. The company is pulling in 10m a year in profits, year after year. His company is HIS LIFE (I know because he told me exactly that). Yes he has kids, and of course they are most important, but after that the company is his life! He doesn't care about the $$. He drives a 15 year old car. He enjoys spending money on his kids but he doesn't need or want a lambo/veyron/rang rover/bmw/mega yacht/other_expensive_stuff

"Rang Rover?" Is that what Scooby Doo drives? :D

and he is not over leveraged to the slightest degree.

Not every business owner starts a company because of the $ or wanting a baller life style. There are SO many different reasons for starting your own company.

Of course people on a LAMBORGHINI forum want to spend their $ on expensive stuff, that's a no brainier. It doesn't mean 90%, hell even 50% of successful business owners want a business so they can get "nicer" stuff. That's my point.

Well I want to make a ton of money to afford certain nice things, I do not want to have to leverage myself to buy such things though.

That's why I put "kid".

A good friend of the family runs a very successful company. It's worth 100m. The company is pulling in 10m a year in profits, year after year. His company is HIS LIFE (I know because he told me exactly that). Yes he has kids, and of course they are most important, but after that the company is his life! He doesn't care about the $$. He drives a 15 year old car. He enjoys spending money on his kids but he doesn't need or want a lambo/veyron/rang rover/bmw/mega yacht/other_expensive_stuff and he is not over leveraged to the slightest degree.

For arguments sake, your friend would refuse 6 billion?

I understand the point that to sell because of the amount and never need to worry, but sometimes more money more problems. Many people will think "Sell and do what?" Yeah you could do anything but you'd still need to keep investments somewhere and nothing's really solid. Is there honestly a way you could keep a constant flow so that you could help pay for taxes? What would taxes be on 6 billion? Surely it'd be astronomical and you could lose it if you haven't put it away somewhere safely.

That being said, for some, it might just be easier to keep working in their routine to see what they could do, it sounds absurd, but no one thinks logically 100% of the time. Or at the same time, he believes after seeing Facebook and Youtube, that his company could become the next giant.

Honey, I just got us $40 billion!!!

244b33o.jpg

so let me see, this guy is a saint and when making 10m a year wants to live like he is making 30k? Or does he actually have a nice house, eats out at nice places and travels with his family a lot? If none to those, Imho it is a mistake not to enjoy the benefits of his work while you still can. Never know what's coming.

"Rang Rover?" Is that what Scooby Doo drives? :D

Just spit my drink on my monitor. Rang Rover Raggy!

so let me see, this guy is a saint and when making 10m a year wants to live like he is making 30k? Or does he actually have a nice house, eats out at nice places and travels with his family a lot? If none to those, Imho it is a mistake not to enjoy the benefits of his work while you still can. Never know what's coming.

He has a nice house and travels with his kids to spend time with them. But anyone with a decent job could do the same things he does.

Some people don't care about luxury items. They are happy with that they have. This is true for several success business owners. The richest guy in Norway makes his own sandwiches for lunch, has a 10? year old blue suit that is WORN out (I have seen it many times) :lol2: He loves hiking/cross country skiing in the mountains and chilling out in his small cabin in the middle of no where.

It's not "abnormal" to be this way. It just seems like it when you only know people with $ that also use most/a lot of it ;)

Vilhelm, some people are creatures of habit and do things the same way because that is how they feel most comfortable in their own skin. They don't have priorities of driving a hot car, hell a car is the least of their interests. They're not into cars, designer clothing, diamonds, watches, mansions, jets, yachts, extravagant vacations, etc....Plain and simple. Many people aren't. They are satisfied with the home they live in so they don't move to get something larger/better. They don't feel they need to. Again, comfortable with the way they live their life as is...But they have EVERYTHING imaginable taken care of (something the decent-job guy might not). Most likely, decent-job guy may be using credit....And maybe the $100 mil offer isn't his "sweet-spot". You can't use his turn down of $100mm and living "frugally" as an example to compare to turning down $6 Billion dollars.

I guarantee you there is ONE thing that he is passionate about (outside of work) that he probably does spend more than the average person with a "decent-job" as you say, spends. Simply because he has the ability to. Be it his kids, wife, gifts, travel or maybe personal investments (for the future/rainy day). How many properties does he owe? How much is he putting BACK into his business? How much does he give to his favorite charity? How much time does he take off from work per year (even if it's to sit at home or make it to all of his kid's youth sports games)?

Honestly if he is making at least, $2-3million a year and isn't spending 25-30% of it on lifestyle, then it's going somewhere...ANY one of those things I mentioned above are luxury's that the average "good-job" guy would NOT be able to do with any type of significance. If after all of those things; he is living EXACTLY the same as a "decent-job" guy lives on a $50-100K salary and isn't improving the standard of his life, then he is clearly selling himself and his family short. ANY successful business owner owes it to him/herself to reward themselves for the blood sweat and tears they went through while building a business worth $100 million dollars. If NOT then just go get a job somewhere, be on autopilot, get a check every 2 weeks and deal with less hassle...

Shit even Warren Buffet rides a G-550 everywhere he goes............................

Come on Wilhelm tell the truth, you are friends with the Pope :icon_mrgreen:

I will never understand people who make a crap load of money and don't enjoy it, maybe these bastards should be introduced to Lambopower they will definitely have no time left to worry about business :icon_mrgreen:

I know a guy here, exactly the same, his net worth based on what I know he owns easy $100 mil plus, his personal expenses, based on what I see him, drive, wear, eat and where he lives can't exceed more than $500 a week.

He was once wearing a shirt which went out of fashion about the same year Elvis died, I asked him where he got it from, he smiled and said "Salvation Army" the funny thing is I don't think he was joking :lol2:

I love doing business with him, he's so strange he always makes me laugh.

His only "out of the ordinary" yearly extravaganza is flying his whole family, at his expense, from all over the world so they can celebrate Christmas together, tradition in his family and he wants to keep that going.

He still lives in a 4 or 5 bedroom house that he built sometimes in 1970 probably with his bare hands and left overs from his construction sites, he still has some materials left stored under his house since he's completed it.

Now, his kids, his daughter in particular, which BTW is one of the hottest chicks I've ever seen, spends money like it's about to go out of fashion, he always bitches about her wondering how can a handbag cost $5000 :lol2:

The moral of the story is, if you have it and you don't spend it is only a matter of time until somebody else will, if you managed to make so much money and you aren't living la vida loca you are a retard :icon_thumleft:

Swil, the money goes right back to the company's holding company as CASH.

This is his hobby though. If he was fed up with it, he could either sell it or get another guy to over see the business as CEO. Yes, he does take days off (when he feels like it) but that's another GREAT thing about owning a company (one of many). But his company is on his mind 24/7. It's his passion/hobby/life style. To have something as successful as he has you NEED to love what you do.

Fortis, your friend sounds like my family's friend :lol2:. They would probably be best friends if they met :lol2:. He does exactly the same. He flies his kids and their friends down to south Europe , but that is pretty much it as far as spending "a lot" of $$. His kids are probably get a lot though (without knowing 100%).

But when you have the bank roll and liquidity that he does it really wouldn't make a dent if he went out and got a bunch of exotics if that made him happy.

For me, and of course most of you it sounds INSANE not to spend a lot of money when you are making that kind of $$. I would of bought a garage full of exotics ++++++ :lol2:

Ohh well, different strokes for different folks as they say. What ever makes you happy.

He has a nice house and travels with his kids to spend time with them. But anyone with a decent job could do the same things he does.

Some people don't care about luxury items. They are happy with that they have. This is true for several success business owners. The richest guy in Norway makes his own sandwiches for lunch, has a 10? year old blue suit that is WORN out (I have seen it many times) :lol2: He loves hiking/cross country skiing in the mountains and chilling out in his small cabin in the middle of no where.

It's not "abnormal" to be this way. It just seems like it when you only know people with $ that also use most/a lot of it ;)

I love how you reference a person or two that you have absolutely no idea about and then draw sweeping conclusions. You understand that just because your apple is rotten doesn't mean all apples in the world are rotten? And what do you know about the richest guy in Norway and what he eats for lunch and the cost of his suits? Nothing. I went for a 12.99 haircut last night yet could buy 10 hair salons tomorrow if I wanted to so what does that mean? Even my wife doesn't know the intimate details of my finances so how do you figure that you can draw conclusions about anyone by watching them eat a ham sandwich?

The collective sentiment here is that people often live up to and beyond their means. This is a fact. Look at the subprime crisis for example. We're making a statement based on tens of millions of people, not your uncle's daughter's gardener's cousin who drives a Prius yet makes millions a year. For all you know he fills his Prius with gold, wears $50,000 underwear and routinely bangs hookers for 5 grand a stab.

I love how you reference a person or two that you have absolutely no idea about and then draw sweeping conclusions. You understand that just because your apple is rotten doesn't mean all apples in the world are rotten? And what do you know about the richest guy in Norway and what he eats for lunch and the cost of his suits? Nothing. I went for a 12.99 haircut last night yet could buy 10 hair salons tomorrow if I wanted to so what does that mean? Even my wife doesn't know the intimate details of my finances so how do you figure that you can draw conclusions about anyone by watching them eat a ham sandwich?

The collective sentiment here is that people often live up to and beyond their means. This is a fact. Look at the subprime crisis for example. We're making a statement based on tens of millions of people, not your uncle's daughter's gardener's cousin who drives a Prius yet makes millions a year. For all you know he fills his Prius with gold, wears $50,000 underwear and routinely bangs hookers for 5 grand a stab.

It's STUPID to be over leveraged. A guy that owns a success business would not be dumb enough to over leverage ANYTHING, LET ALONE THEIR HOUSE. How ANYONE would do that is beyond me. That's like drinking 2 bottles of vodka in a sitting because alcohol is legal.

I could of bought an apartment that cost WAY more than my current one, but why would I put myself in that situation? Hell I borrowed less than 40% of my apartment from the bank.

I'm referring to a good family friends, I'm not talking about my cousins uncle, bla bla bla.

I am talking about Norways richest guy because I know people that know him and has backed a lot of things that the media has said about him. He is DIRT CHEAP on EVERYTHING. Like I said. I work in the same building that he works in - that he owns. In the summer he turns down the AC to save money!

People are different Porter. Fortis also has a friend like that.

It's STUPID to be over leveraged. A guy that owns a success business would not be dumb enough to over leverage ANYTHING, LET ALONE THEIR HOUSE. How ANYONE would do that is beyond me. That's like drinking 2 bottles of vodka in a sitting because alcohol is legal.

I could of bought an apartment that cost WAY more than my current one, but why would I put myself in that situation? Hell I borrowed less than 40% of my apartment from the bank.

I'm referring to a good family friends, I'm not talking about my cousins uncle, bla bla bla.

I am talking about Norways richest guy because I know people that know him and has backed a lot of things that the media has said about him. He is DIRT CHEAP on EVERYTHING. Like I said. I work in the same building that he works in - that he owns. In the summer he turns down the AC to save money!

People are different Porter. Fortis also has a friend like that.

lol I know it's stupid to be overleveraged it's also stupid to speed but guess what life is short and people indulge. Anyway I think you have mastered the concept we are trying to convey to you so let's just wish you luck on your $180 dinner in New York and call it a day on our interaction here.

lol I know it's stupid to be overleveraged it's also stupid to speed but guess what life is short and people indulge. Anyway I think you have mastered the concept we are trying to convey to you so let's just wish you luck on your $180 dinner in New York and call it a day on our interaction here.

If it's $180 I will be dancing with joy :lol2:

$500 mil revenue in the 2nd year of business... why sell? There's one thing people love more than talking to their distant relatives, looking at their pictures and hearing their friends' daily rants on facebook - getting great deals on shit they can buy for themselves. Definitely room for growth.

Also if he owns only 10%, that means the decision of not selling was definitely not up to him. All the financial backers would want to stay in for the ride to maximize returns.

.............I guarantee you there is ONE thing that he is passionate about (outside of work) that he probably does spend more than the average person with a "decent-job" as you say, spends. Simply because he has the ability to. Be it his kids, wife, gifts, travel or maybe personal investments (for the future/rainy day). How many properties does he owe? How much is he putting BACK into his business? How much does he give to his favorite charity? How much time does he take off from work per year (even if it's to sit at home or make it to all of his kid's youth sports games)? .........

Swil, the money goes right back to the company's holding company as CASH.

This is his hobby though. If he was fed up with it, he could either sell it or get another guy to over see the business as CEO. Yes, he does take days off (when he feels like it) but that's another GREAT thing about owning a company (one of many). But his company is on his mind 24/7. It's his passion/hobby/life style. To have something as successful as he has you NEED to love what you do.

Fortis, your friend sounds like my family's friend :lol2:. They would probably be best friends if they met :lol2:. He does exactly the same. He flies his kids and their friends down to south Europe , but that is pretty much it as far as spending "a lot" of $$. His kids are probably get a lot though (without knowing 100%).

Ohh well, different strokes for different folks as they say. What ever makes you happy.

EXACTLY... So tell me... how is he just like the average guy with a "decent" job?

We're making a statement based on tens of millions of people, not your uncle's daughter's gardener's cousin who drives a Prius yet makes millions a year. For all you know he fills his Prius with gold, wears $50,000 underwear and routinely bangs hookers for 5 grand a stab.

:lol2: :lol2: :icon_super:

As for the Groupon guy, sell the company and 1031 exchange a good portion of it into real estate. Real estate may have its ups and downs, but for the next 50-5000 years I can't think of anything better. :eusa_dance:

Actually, the exception to that rule might be to become mayor of a major US city for $1/year. There's this one guy I know who did it and has significantly upped his billions since 2002. :icon_thumleft: