This might seem like an odd question, but...

CRXLoon

In the not-so-distant future, (around the 5 year mark), i am hoping to be in the position to become a Countach owner.

I can cut back on my day to day living costs etc. and am training for a new career, all things i can do something about, but i cannot do anything about my height.

I know a certain Mr Clarkson says that if you like a car enough, you will fit in it, but he's not going to be spending my money! I am 6'4"; are there any tall Countach owners out there?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're gonna have big problems, even if you take out the seat rails and bolt the seat to the floor. I'm 5'8" and I have one inch of headroom and fairly often I bash my head on the roof beam by the door. You're 8" taller than me.

Sorry to break the news.

That is good QV

I am 5' 6"

I fit part of the equation. :mrgreen:

I LOVE THE COUNTACH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

hey, I'm 6'2" and am very comfortably in my QV. 6'4" is probably beyond the limit. When I wear a helmet for track events I am forced to scootch down which is rather annoying. Maybe you could have a GT40 bump fabricated on the roofline :)

LOL Terry!!!!

The last time I sat in a C/T was when I was a teenager. I was much thinner and more flexible back then. I'd like to try again some time to see how it compares to my Diablo. I know it's tighter but I would still like to see for myself just how much :)

You're gonna have big problems, even if you take out the seat rails and bolt the seat to the floor. I'm 5'8" and I have one inch of headroom and fairly often I bash my head on the roof beam by the door. You're 8" taller than me.

Sorry to break the news.

Taoist, i've seen some pics of you via this forum, next to your car and you struck me as being a little shorter than me, (no offense; after all, you have THE car of my dreams).

the countach was designed for small statured rich men who had a severe inferiority complex.... For tall guys, they are out of luck.....

qvpower, that's sad; for once in my life i wish i had an inferiority complex... ;)

hey, I'm 6'2" and am very comfortably in my QV. 6'4" is probably beyond the limit. When I wear a helmet for track events I am forced to scootch down which is rather annoying. Maybe you could have a GT40 bump fabricated on the roofline :)

superX, I must admit, taking into account all the years i've spent reading about the Countach in the press, i've been expecting this sort of information, but have probably been in a state of, (monetry-enforced), self-denial.

Didn't somebody just ask about this? Can't remember where.......... :roll:

Sorry ken qv, i had a fairly good look around, and didn't see the subject covered elsewhere; my apologies if i've wasted your or other member's time...

LOL Terry!!!!

The last time I sat in a C/T was when I was a teenager. I was much thinner and more flexible back then. I'd like to try again some time to see how it compares to my Diablo. I know it's tighter but I would still like to see for myself just how much :)

terryjoint & LamboJay, during the European Grand Prix, (or was it the Race of Champions?), at Brands Hatch sometime in the 1980's, i actually sat in a brown left hand drive Countach which i believe Mike Pullen at Carrera Sport now owns, (and has done for some time); i fitted "reasonably" well then , but that was along time and a more than a few currys ago!

All; nothing is "cut and dried" as far as i am concerned. As i've said, i'm starting on a new career and one day i shall own a Lamborghini; it's inevitable.

A little off-topic, but would i get more room in a Diablo? Don't get me wrong, i'd rather have a Countach, and i don't want to give the impression that i'm a spotty kid wasting other people's, (valuable), time, (i'm 41), with a false "money-no-object" kind of attitude.

I've been into Lamborghini since i was a small child, (we were born in the same year); i've viewed thier products as being far superior to those of "you-know-who" up the road, and love the "up yours" attitude that Ferruccio Lamborghini had when his dancing donkey didn't come up to scratch.

Perhaps a Jalpa would be more "fitting"; at least the roof comes off, (and it's a lovely car)!

Thank you for all your replies, they are most appreciated.

I seriously doubt you'll fit, even with modifications. I am 6'3" (about even legs vs torso) and 210 lbs and had the opportunity to drive a carbed QV a few years ago. When seated in the car, I literally had to have my head bent completely over to one side touching my shoulder just to be in the car. Needless to say it was extremely uncomfortable, and while I did manage to get the car around the block, I didn't go further because I couldn't see any of the mirrors properly while contorted like that. I was completely crushed as the Countach was a boyhood fantasy that I realized wouldn't work.

Then I bought a Diablo and felt much better... :P

I seriously doubt you'll fit, even with modifications. I am 6'3" (about even legs vs torso) and 210 lbs and had the opportunity to drive a carbed QV a few years ago. When seated in the car, I literally had to have my head bent completely over to one side touching my shoulder just to be in the car. Needless to say it was extremely uncomfortable, and while I did manage to get the car around the block, I didn't go further because I couldn't see any of the mirrors properly while contorted like that. I was completely crushed as the Countach was a boyhood fantasy that I realized wouldn't work.

I really couldn't put up with that, even on an "occasional" basis, (and the emotional stress of being denied my dream); i'd end up resenting having bought the car. I'm less in proportion to you, (i have ridiculously long legs).

Then I bought a Diablo and felt much better... :P

Then perhaps that's the answer.

6'4 is too tall. It can be made to fit you, but you will never be comfortable, and you will hate driving the car.

Then it would be a complete waste of time & money.

Allan, i believe you've owned both a Countach and a Diablo; which do you think is the "roomier"?

Crx loon......I didn't mean the topic was a waste of time, I just mentioned it for reference. We talked about taking out the seat rails and bolting the seats to the floor, and the fact that somebody used to do a "tall mans conversion". You need to find one and sit in it yourself (again) then figure out if an extra inch or so would help you out or if you're looking for more comfort. Plus the pedals have room behind them and I think they could be moved back a little with some changes to the brackets.....I have a habit of sitting low in cars and if you're 6"4" you probably sit low and might not even notice it. Did you see what 2aftercannonball wrote? Don't give up the idea just yet. I fit in it..............I'm over 6'3"!

I'm 6'3" and 235-240 lbs. I'm slightly more leg than torso and I fit just fine in both my '81 and '86 Countach. I say sit in one and play with the seat adjustment before you write off your dream.

6'4 is too tall. It can be made to fit you, but you will never be comfortable, and you will hate driving the car.

Allan, i believe you've owned both a Countach and a Diablo; which do you think is the "roomier"?

The DIablo is MUCH more comfortable.

LOL Terry!!!!

I would love to see you in a countach Jay.It would take a lot of WD40 :mrgreen:

Has anybody taken the seat out as suggested? In my Formula Mazda a seat is poured around you with packing foam or styrofoam beads in a large plastic bag while sitting on the floor.

Yes. That is 1/2 the problem. It is too damn refined. It is like a living room.

6'4" is tight, but he did'nt hate driving it, infact , he wants to buy it back...

Don't do it!

Crx loon......I didn't mean the topic was a waste of time, I just mentioned it for reference. We talked about taking out the seat rails and bolting the seats to the floor, and the fact that somebody used to do a "tall mans conversion". You need to find one and sit in it yourself (again) then figure out if an extra inch or so would help you out or if you're looking for more comfort. Plus the pedals have room behind them and I think they could be moved back a little with some changes to the brackets.....I have a habit of sitting low in cars and if you're 6"4" you probably sit low and might not even notice it. Did you see what 2aftercannonball wrote? Don't give up the idea just yet. I fit in it..............I'm over 6'3"!

ken qv, thank you for your comments. I remember reading about an early LP400 that an Aussie guy had removed the seat rails on so he could drive it properly; i'm guessing he had the same problem as me, (and a few of the other members here, by the sound of it)!

I sit fairly low in my car, and have in my previous cars. For me, this is very comfortable; i don't even have to put the seat all the way back. My collegues at work generally have a good laugh when they see me getting in and out of my car; it's a kind of "limbo dance"!

No, i missed what 2aftercannonball said about the previous owner of his car; i've gone back and read it again. I'm hoping that although i'm tall, the fact that i'm "gangly", (long arms & legs; body length "conventional"), may work for me. I shan't give up until i've tried one for size...

I'm 6'3" and 235-240 lbs. I'm slightly more leg than torso and I fit just fine in both my '81 and '86 Countach. I say sit in one and play with the seat adjustment before you write off your dream.

John, you sound more or less like me physically; your words, (and those of the rest of you), are most encouraging.

fly out to Spain and you can sit in mine all day and try the options !!

terryjoint, that's most kind of you; i shall be in Spain next month, but i daresay nowhere near you! Not to worry 'cos...

Whereabouts in SE England are you? You could always try sitting in mine to see how you get on.

Lambochick, i live near Canterbury, in Kent. That'd be great; when are you having your next get-together; i missed the one posted about earlier this month, maybe i could come along?

Yes. That is 1/2 the problem. It is too damn refined. It is like a living room.

Allan & ralfabco, do you mean roomier or seating or both?