Allan Buys a Ferrari and look what comes out...

jota

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Rob Burgundy

"I couldn't care if I never drive a new Ferrari again, if it means I never have to deal with the insane communication machine and continue lying about the lengths to which Ferrari will bend any rule to get what it wants."

"How bad has it been? I honestly don't know where to start. Perhaps the 360 Modena press car that was two seconds faster to 100mph than the customer car we also tested. You allow some leeway for "factory fresh" machines, but this thing was ludicrously quick and sounded more like Schumacher's weekend wheels than a street car. Ferrari will never admit that its press cars are tuned, but has the gall to turn up at any of the big European magazines' end-of-year-shindig-tests with two cars. One for straight line work, the other for handling exercises. Because that's what happens when you buy a 458: they deliver two for just those eventualities. The whole thing stinks. In any other industry it wouldn't be allowed to happen. It's dishonest, but all the mags take it between the cheeks because they're too scared of not being invited to drive the next new Ferrari."

We've known for years they use ringers in tests and the front straightaway in Fiorano with the slight decline for their stats.

The company annoys many of us more than excites us. The bullshit markup on MSRP being one big example. Then again we all vote with our dollars and if there are people willing to pay then Ferrari will continue to get away with all of this ad infinitum.

Is everyone in this world cheating at something? Jezzzus.

Great write up, another writer with the balls, just like the one who wrote about GS

Pretty gutsy writeup. Might be true for some, and sometimes. But definately not the rule. I have a friend who owns a car magazine here in DK, and has tested both the 458 and 599 GTO this year, and he has not experienced any of this. The cars they use in Top Gear is also customer cars, which have recieved zero tuning. So it's a ballsy article, but sadly not true either. Some aspects might be, and for some journalists.. but certainly not the rule. I will ask me friend tomorrow, if he have ever heard of this happening here in Denmark. He has worked on all the big mags here, and he would know if it's true. I highly doubt it.

Pretty gutsy writeup. Might be true for some, and sometimes. But definately not the rule. I have a friend who owns a car magazine here in DK, and has tested both the 458 and 599 GTO this year, and he has not experienced any of this. The cars they use in Top Gear is also customer cars, which have recieved zero tuning. So it's a ballsy article, but sadly not true either. Some aspects might be, and for some journalists.. but certainly not the rule. I will ask me friend tomorrow, if he have ever heard of this happening here in Denmark. He has worked on all the big mags here, and he would know if it's true. I highly doubt it.

Sure Hostrup, we'll take your opinion, and the opinion of some unknown "Denmark Car Magazine" mega publisher, over fcuking Chris Harris from EVO.

Good thing we have you here to tell what is "true" and "not true". :icon_thumleft:

On the topic at hand:

Ferrari is Ferrari. Of course they do everything every other car company does to rig, falsify, manipulate, exploit, and mislead, both magazine journalists and the general public.

In America, we call this "marketing". :icon_mrgreen:

They are no more guilty of this than most other manufacturers, though I'm sure as Harris details well in that piece they are a true sonofabitch to deal with. No doubt about it. But that's what happens when you want to bang the prom queen, she's not going to make it easy...otherwise you can go screw one of those girls in the math club and try to sell mags with endless "VW Polo Megareview" articles.

Ferrari has the power, Ferrari sells mags, and thus they exploit it. Shocker.

Not surprising at all.

Nothing that most maufatures don't try and do. Remember a few years back where a bone stock Ford GT was right with a Carrera GT and Enzo. Yeah right.

Everybody's always looking for an edge. It's business.

Sure Hostrup, we'll take your opinion, and the opinion of some unknown "Denmark Car Magazine" mega publisher, over fcuking Chris Harris from EVO.

Good thing we have you here to tell what is "true" and "not true". :icon_thumleft:

On the topic at hand:

Ferrari is Ferrari. Of course they do everything every other car company does to rig, falsify, manipulate, exploit, and mislead, both magazine journalists and the general public.

They are no more guilty of this than most other manufacturers, though I'm sure as Harris details well in that piece they are a true sonofabitch to deal with. No doubt about it. But that's what happens when you want to bang the prom queen, she's not going to make it easy...otherwise you can go screw one of those girls in the math club.

Well, they are actually quite big. www.bilekspressen.dk is his own magazine, and www.bilmagasinet.dk was his former magazine. But Christian Frost has worked both places and testdriven every Ferrari produced the last 15-20 years. He's not unknown :) Well, in the US he probably is. But he is also the author of several books, incl. on Ferrari book. (http://www.saxo.com/dk/item/christian-frost-legenden-om-ferrari-indbundet.aspx) .. So allthough Evo is bigger, Chris probably knows no more about Ferrari's than Christian. There's alot of people on F-chat that know more about Ferrari that Harris.

If what Harris writes is true, than Frost will know about it, as he has tested the exact same cars as Harris. And that's a fact, not debatable. :) Not trying to get into a pissing contest, I just have serioust doubts about the legitimacy of what Harris describes as a normal practice? If that's true, then Frost should have encountered it too. Harris is not from Evo? He is a freelance journalist?

I do agree with your post though, I don't doubt that this practice might be true for some people or mags. Or else they would have to have 50 or more cars that are tuned and sent around the world to magazines. Seems highly unlikely. And many mags do use customer cars :)

They are no more guilty of this than most other manufacturers, though I'm sure as Harris details well in that piece they are a true sonofabitch to deal with. No doubt about it. But that's what happens when you want to bang the prom queen, she's not going to make it easy...otherwise you can go screw one of those girls in the math club and try to sell mags with endless "VW Polo Megareview" articles.

Ferrari has the power, Ferrari sells mags, and thus they exploit it. Shocker.

+1

Really, are we supposed to get suprised that press cars (any brand) perform better than regular cars? Jeeesh...

Well, they are actually quite big. www.bilekspressen.dk is his own magazine, and www.bilmagasinet.dk was his former magazine. But Christian Frost has worked both places and testdriven every Ferrari produced the last 15-20 years. He's not unknown :) Well, in the US he probably is. But he is also the author of several books, incl. on Ferrari book. (http://www.saxo.com/dk/item/christian-frost-legenden-om-ferrari-indbundet.aspx) .. So allthough Evo is bigger, Chris probably knows no more about Ferrari's than Christian. There's alot of people on F-chat that no more about Ferrari that Harris.

If what Harris writes is true, than Frost will know about it, as he has tested the exact same cars as Harris. And that's a fact, not debatable. :) Not trying to get into a pissing contest, I just have serioust doubts about the legitimacy of what Harris describes as a normal practice? If that's true, then Frost should have encountered it too. Harris is not from Evo? He is a freelance journalist?

Again, I feel blessed and fortunate that we have you here to lecture us on all things Ferrari, Hostrup.

You have convinced me that Chris Harris just has an axe to grind, Ferrari are godlike and free from all sin, and that the world is pure and just.

Thank you so much. :icon_pidu:

Again, I feel blessed and fortunate that we have you here to lecture us on all things Ferrari, Hostrup.

You have convinced me that Chris Harris just has an axe to grind, Ferrari are godlike and free from all sin, and that the world is pure and just.

Thank you so much. :icon_pidu:

No lecture here? Just reasoning and debate.

Interesting giving the fawning reviews of their products.

Follow the money.

All the mags track sales at the newstand, and subscription opt-ins, and they know what cars on the cover add to those metrics. Put an F-car on the cover and it's likely an upward spike, which is natural.

No reviewer is going to speak out against that, or risk losing their job immediately. Car and Driver deserves credit, they exposed the bullshit front straight of Fiorano for what it is, a total joke with a downward grade to assist performance times. I give them credit, as the rest of the mags continue to just let Ferrari do as they will in order to be invited to press junkets which then sell more mags.

As Keith said, it goes on in all areas of this industry, and others, and it's not unexpected. Except to Hostrup.

It's sad but very common,

everything is on "steroids" nowadays until you take the product home and you find out that the ab cruncher does not give you a 6 pack in less than 14 days but you can't be bothered to shove it back in the large box it came in and post it back

to the manufacturer, it will find its demise under your bed with all the other things you bought on late night shopping TV while sleep walking. :eusa_wall:

:icon_mrgreen:

That's right. And in Ferrari's case their "ab cruncher" is actually a world-class product. So everyone puts up with the bullshit, from the dealers and their assholery, to the inflated prices if you "haven't purchased our cars previously" to the horseshit nearly-paid-for magazine reviews.

We all put up with it as long as the product is fantastic, which Ferraris certainly are (most of the time).

ya I remember the 135 mph tests for the 458 compared to the 129 mph achieved by a member here. Imagine if the magazines could trap 120 in a GTR and the owners get the car and cant get over 115. :s

[Ferrari] are no more guilty of this than most other manufacturers

Harris does actually mention in the article that some rival manufacturers, at least, don't do this. Also interesting that he's pointing the finger solely at Ferrari rather than an industry-wide phenomenon.

:iamwithstupid:

I wonder how that will effect his relationship with Evo magazine.

I think that is going to be interesting but take the latest Evo car of the year, in the article they mention that Ferrari said that they would not provide the 458 or any other cars in the futre should EVO source a GTO for the test.

That must have riled more than Harris there surely?

Mako and Capt. Chaos

I just talked to Christian.. And it's correct. I stand corrected. Christian is dealing with this nonsense too. He can only get cars from the factory or Ferrari UK.

PS: Talked with him about doing the story in the mag that Harris has written on jalopnik. If Harris stands alone on this, he will get nowhere.