question on car transport

cake

YES YES YES I should have flown down and driven it back myself.

Just spoke to carrier. Truck has been in NC most of the day. NOW in southern VA heading to White Plains NY, then Albany, Syracuse, Buffalo and THEN Pittsburgh. Estimating Thur/Fri delivery. I know... :eusa_naughty: - back away from the computer...

I told the carrier there's an event I'd like to do Thursday if possible - they say they're gonna TRY. (invited to a private track event Thurday evening)

They originally told me the car would deliver no later than today, probably sooner. I had said (to myself) at the time, I'll be happy if I get it by the end of this week.

Now I really mean it! Is it a bad sign that I'm talking to myself? :eusa_wall:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and sharing stories (good, bad & ugly) and recommendations for and against some carriers. And also for insight into their business. I am more relaxed now that I know the drill. :icon_cool:

I'll post some pics and let you know how it turns out.

And YES - life is VERY good. I have a lambo on the way!!! Can't complain about that!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone once suggested FedEx custom critical. How are they? I'm doing research now so when the days comes I'm not caught with my pants down, having a delivery made and an incident like that CGT happens. Ya, it's insured - but no one wants a wrecked/scratched car.

Someone once suggested FedEx custom critical. How are they? I'm doing research now so when the days comes I'm not caught with my pants down, having a delivery made and an incident like that CGT happens. Ya, it's insured - but no one wants a wrecked/scratched car.

Buddy of mine used them to deliver his car.... actually her it is:

I was surprised how professional they were. pretty on time, very reasonable. Might consider them.

You should have ONE concern when shipping a vehicle...

That at SOME point, it gets off the carrier WITHOUT damage.

Keep in mind.... There has been some SHITTY weather for the last two days between you and where the car is coming from.

Thats going to slow them down considerably as well...

But look on the bright side.... I bought my car from Florida... The week Katrina hit.... There were a series of hurricanes and TSs that year... And a NEW fcuking LAKE across what once was I-10. I think my car took 3 full weeks in transit. But... It got here... Safe and Sound. And thats all I remember now...

car shipments can create some of the most anxious moments of purchasing a car. and that's NOT including the possibility of an accident.

some cars barely fit, in terms of width. then there's the whole ramp issue. can't the drivers carry some 12' or 14' - 2 x 12's ?

usually, i drive the car on or off the ramp, sometimes, inch by inch. othertimes, i am the spotter.

i always get the drivers number and ask that once the car is loaded on the trailer, it doesn't come off until delivery. i am not excited about my car being jockeyed around inside a trailer (as other cars are loaded/unloadeds) nor do i like them being moved from trailer to another.

congrats !!

Is there such thing as a premium auto shipper? (i.e. 1 or 2 cars on a smaller trailer, no additional pickups or diversions, but at a hefty price)

I'm picturing those guys who tow their own trailers with duallys to track events and car shows.

Is there such thing as a premium auto shipper? (i.e. 1 or 2 cars on a smaller trailer, no additional pickups or diversions, but at a hefty price)

I'm picturing those guys who tow their own trailers with duallys to track events and car shows.

I am sure there are plenty of options like that if youre willing to pay for it, (just like any other service, anything is available for a price! lol).

Unfortunately like anything else there is going to be a threshold between what you will "accept" and what you are willing to pay for. Lots of guys would want their car shipped exclusively in its own trailer from point A to Point B, with the only loading/unloading being done at 2 locations, 1-in front of the seller, 2-in front of the buyer, with locked trailer doors the entire length of the trip and a million dollar carrier insurance policy). Short of shipping an Enzo or a Veyron though, my guess is its just nowhere near cost-effective for most to do so.

When I buy my Lambo, hopefully the logistics of the situation will allow me to fly out and drive it back! :icon_mrgreen: I can think of no better way to get to know your first Lamborghini!

I am sure there are plenty of options like that if youre willing to pay for it, (just like any other service, anything is available for a price! lol).

Unfortunately like anything else there is going to be a threshold between what you will "accept" and what you are willing to pay for. Lots of guys would want their car shipped exclusively in its own trailer from point A to Point B, with the only loading/unloading being done at 2 locations, 1-in front of the seller, 2-in front of the buyer, with locked trailer doors the entire length of the trip and a million dollar carrier insurance policy). Short of shipping an Enzo or a Veyron though, my guess is its just nowhere near cost-effective for most to do so.

When I buy my Lambo, hopefully the logistics of the situation will allow me to fly out and drive it back! :icon_mrgreen: I can think of no better way to get to know your first Lamborghini!

:iamwithstupid: :icon_super:

I hear you on cost effectiveness. But I can't imagine anyone shipping a $10+ million Bugatti Royale or Ferrari GTO would be going the normal route.

I thought about flying down & driving back. Here's why I didn't:

- didn't want to rack up the miles, wear & tear.

- As a female traveling alone I have some concerns about personal security (husband couldn't go & friends not available)

- My concealed carry permit is not reciprocated in many states and it's not worth the risk to carry, especially in a "high profile" car

- Don't think I could do it in one day, and the thought of parking at a hotel overnight was unnerving (especially after reading posts of what can happen when left unattended).

I travel alone all the time, but never having done it in a car this "flashy" I decided to let a carrier take it. I don't think I'm being sexist - just practical based on personal experience.

I don't think I'll regret this decision. Other than annoying delays, I believe the car will arrive in great condition, and as so many of you have said... the joy of having it and driving it will wipe out the memories of waiting for it. I am (and continue to be) an optimist. In the grand scheme of life this is one of the absolute best problems to have! With the weather they had to drive through (tx for reminding me RomanDad) things could be worse. At least I'm not dealing with Katrina.

I checked into FedexCriticalCustom via their web site. Cost is a little more than 3X for the same trip. I did not choose the least expensive - so the 3X price would be prohibitive (unless you have unlimited resources or don't mind spending THAT much on transport - I don't fall into either category).

I thought about flying down & driving back. Here's why I didn't:

- didn't want to rack up the miles, wear & tear.

- As a female traveling alone I have some concerns about personal security (husband couldn't go & friends not available)

- My concealed carry permit is not reciprocated in many states and it's not worth the risk to carry, especially in a "high profile" car

- Don't think I could do it in one day, and the thought of parking at a hotel overnight was unnerving (especially after reading posts of what can happen when left unattended).

I travel alone all the time, but never having done it in a car this "flashy" I decided to let a carrier take it. I don't think I'm being sexist - just practical based on personal experience.

I don't think I'll regret this decision. Other than annoying delays, I believe the car will arrive in great condition, and as so many of you have said... the joy of having it and driving it will wipe out the memories of waiting for it. I am (and continue to be) an optimist. In the grand scheme of life this is one of the absolute best problems to have! With the weather they had to drive through (tx for reminding me RomanDad) things could be worse. At least I'm not dealing with Katrina.

I checked into FedexCriticalCustom via their web site. Cost is a little more than 3X for the same trip. I did not choose the least expensive - so the 3X price would be prohibitive (unless you have unlimited resources or don't mind spending THAT much on transport - I don't fall into either category).

Lambo and a concealed carry permit! You're the coolest girl ever! :lol2:

Assuming your permit is from PA, your permit is good in every state between PA and FL except South Carolina and Maryland. (and both are pretty easily avoided.)

Assuming your permit is from PA, your permit is good in every state between PA and FL except South Carolina and Maryland. (and both are pretty easily avoided.)

I don't know about Maryland, but SC is a pretty gun friendly state....way more than VA. WTF??? LOL.

But yeah, E is right...you can avoid both. Looks like I-75 and I-81 will do the trick. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for the info on reciprocity. It had been a long time since I checked and WV has since been added in the last few years. We lived in Maryland and they are about as UN-friendly as it gets when it comes to permits. I tried. They told me, after you are the victim of a violent crime you can apply. That's actually what the guy said to me. VA was equally bad, and District of Columbia - forget it! At the time I traveled in DC & VA a lot and wanted a permit that would allow me to use it anywhere I traveled. No way.

Even if I could carry legally and make the trip, I always prefer to stay out of a bad situation than go into it thinking I'll be okay defending myself. I'm very confident with a handgun (and shotgun) but believe it's always best to avoid confrontation rather than have to defend. I'm sure that a problem on the trip would be highly unlikely. I like to think that most people are good but... I've had enough encounters to know that's not always the case. If my gut tells me to avoid a situation, I try to avoid it. I would have been uncomfortable driving the car that distance and staying overnight some place on my own.

I do plan to take a trip in the next couple weeks (weather permitting). And I'll be on my own - but it's a familiar trip. I know the roads, the gas stations, where I'm staying (relatives with attached garage) and feel it's a better "shake down" cruise than FL to PA.

AND...GOOD NEWS! Just spoke to the carrier (I called) and they say I can expect delivery tomorrow afternoon. The driver is supposed to call me tonight to give me an idea of the time. I still expect it may be Friday but I'd be thrilled either way.

I hope my next post is tomorrow with great news and some pics!

Lambo and a concealed carry permit! You're the coolest girl ever! :lol2:

Add to that a female who is secure enough to admit she's not comfortable making the drive. Such femininity is always cuter than the male bravado behavior I see in some girls. :icon_thumleft:

I don't know about Maryland, but SC is a pretty gun friendly state....way more than VA. WTF??? LOL.

Reciprocity makes for strange bedfellows.

" Good things come to those who wait" And Damn, you've WAITED! Good luck, propescts are for a beautiful weekend. Enjoy the drive.

Add to that a female who is secure enough to admit she's not comfortable making the drive. Such femininity is always cuter than the male bravado behavior I see in some girls. :icon_thumleft:

Thank you! Then it will make you smile when I tell you last October I drove the Pro Formula Mazda - and I was never more scared or thrilled (at the same time) in my life. There were 10 of us invited to participate - I was honored to be on the list (and was the only woman). When they asked who was ready to go I jumped in one of the two cars cause I knew if I stood around watching the guys I'd get more & more nervous.

I didn't want to stall leaving the paddock, and they kept telling me to gun it - don't baby it! (And to make it more interesting - Eliseo Salazar was one of our coaches). So I give it the gas and quickly let out the clutch. Took off like a jackrabbit and made it to the track and took my laps. As we took turns throughout the day everyone got better and pushed harder. I was the slowest but didn't care - my times steadily improved and that's what I wanted. I learned A TON! Those are amazing cars and the faster you go the better they handle (downforce). I was too slow in the beginning and spun a few times cause I didn't have the guts to go WOT. The computer told him I wasn't applying WOT so with great coaching & feedback I gave it WOT and WOW - those things fly and they stick!!!

At lunch I told the head instructor I was VERY scared. He smiled and said, "I bet you were". We got a group of 5 together and went back a few weeks later (10 was too many for two cars), and we all improved lap times. I was still slowest but saw big improvement. It was an awesome experience we plan to repeat this year.

Side note - my husband was SO PROUD! The guy who jumped in the second car for the first round of laps left just after me and he stalled it 3 times getting out of the paddock. My husband told me when I took off (and sprayed a bit of gravel behind) they all clapped and shouted and called it a "Danica" start. I'm not a huge Danica fan but it was a complement given the context :)

Thank you! Then it will make you smile when I tell you last October I drove the Pro Formula Mazda - and I was never more scared or thrilled (at the same time) in my life. There were 10 of us invited to participate - I was honored to be on the list (and was the only woman). When they asked who was ready to go I jumped in one of the two cars cause I knew if I stood around watching the guys I'd get more & more nervous.

I didn't want to stall leaving the paddock, and they kept telling me to gun it - don't baby it! (And to make it more interesting - Eliseo Salazar was one of our coaches). So I give it the gas and quickly let out the clutch. Took off like a jackrabbit and made it to the track and took my laps. As we took turns throughout the day everyone got better and pushed harder. I was the slowest but didn't care - my times steadily improved and that's what I wanted. I learned A TON! Those are amazing cars and the faster you go the better they handle (downforce). I was too slow in the beginning and spun a few times cause I didn't have the guts to go WOT. The computer told him I wasn't applying WOT so with great coaching & feedback I gave it WOT and WOW - those things fly and they stick!!!

At lunch I told the head instructor I was VERY scared. He smiled and said, "I bet you were". We got a group of 5 together and went back a few weeks later (10 was too many for two cars), and we all improved lap times. I was still slowest but saw big improvement. It was an awesome experience we plan to repeat this year.

Side note - my husband was SO PROUD! The guy who jumped in the second car for the first round of laps left just after me and he stalled it 3 times getting out of the paddock. My husband told me when I took off (and sprayed a bit of gravel behind) they all clapped and shouted and called it a "Danica" start. I'm not a huge Danica fan but it was a complement given the context :)

That's awesome!

I know a lot of egos need to be checked at the door when it comes to track driving, especially for guys.

The male ego is a often times a man's biggest inhibitor to getting better at anything, whether it's physical fitness, sports, racing, etc.

Glad you're having fun.

very cool. good for you.. life sounds good.

i assume that it was a non agressive track day meaning, no wheel to wheel racing.. when you are in an open wheel car or go kart, things get fun (flight) when wheels touch.. i definately had some fun times in open wheel formula cars.

but because you are adventurous, even MORE fun at that track can be had with a motorcycle.. track days are a blast, and the spatial relationship between motorcycles is intense.. (not to mention dragging your knee at 90 mph.. or 150 mph.................. in third gear)

you sound cool, try it sometime..

i assume that it was a non agressive track day meaning, no wheel to wheel racing.. when you are in an open wheel car or go kart, things get fun (flight) when wheels touch.. i definately had some fun times in open wheel formula cars.

but because you are adventurous, even MORE fun at that track can be had with a motorcycle.. track days are a blast, and the spatial relationship between motorcycles is intense.. (not to mention dragging your knee at 90 mph.. or 150 mph.................. in third gear)

Sorry to go OT. Back on topic - driver called - tomorrow should be the day unless there are major unforeseen delays. He's now within 200 miles. I'm tempering my enthusiasm and hoping that tomorrow works. If not - Friday will be highly likely. I'll post updates....

Back off topic - it was non-aggressive. Only two cars - sometimes together - sometimes solo. It was about learning. It was highly physical - I was shocked at how sore, bruised and tired I was (and I mean bruised!!!). After each set of laps they'd connect the computer to the car and download our performance in every possible measurement. John Walko Racing was the host, and John Walko and Eliseo Salazar provided coaching. He'd only focus on a couple things. We'd go out and practice and if we did well he'd give new stuff to work on. For me it was quicker throttle/brake/throttle transitions and WOT wherever possible. The sequential shifter was a bear! I didn't have the arm strength of the guys and had trouble downshifting the first hour until I figured out the right rev band. That helped, but my short reach and weaker "girly" arms worked against me. They put some foam padding behind me to push me forward (I'm 5'4") and that helped give more leverage on the shifter and throttle. Then padding behind my head helped, cause my neck was killing me trying to keep my head from being thrown back & to the side especially in the tight corners. I didn't have a proper open wheel helmet and had to crank down so hard on the chin strap that I was practically choking. Somehow once underway I didn't notice the pressure on my throat - I was so focused on not killing myself :)

Re motorcycles - I was adventurous years ago with my dirtbike (Bultaco) but have a healthy respect (even fear) of riding in traffic. Only had my bike a year (Honda DN-01 - you either love it or hate it - I :icon_syda: it ). I've heard the track is a great way to learn the bike. I have zero interest in speed/knee dragging at this point. Call me chicken but I'm not THAT adventurous. Kudos to you for having the GUTS :). I will take more risks with four wheels but for now I'm getting my bearings on two. With that said - I do lust after a Ducati. Was interested in the Diavel and sat on one a week ago at an unveiling. The tank seems large for the bike but I like the low seat height and the rear tire is extremely wide giving the bike a very aggressive look. I like it but would prefer a monster as a sport bike. Maybe in a few years when I'm more proficient and confident in my 2 wheel skills. Note: the DN01 is the OPPOSITE of a Lambo (or Ducati). Upright riding position, low seat height, contemporary styling and ultra smooth & comfortable are what I love. I do get asked A LOT of questions about the bike (maybe similar to lambo in that regard) cause its very different looking. I luv it (looks & ride) and enjoy the curiosity it provokes.

I haven't always been this adventurous (at least not relating to speed). I've met the best people at the track! Made good friends and had a blast. I expect the lambo experience to take it to the next level (social and track). Yes - life is good. It's been crazy and I'd never have predicted the path that led to this point, but it's all good. :)

One of my worst transport stories was the semi was in an accident, rear ended a car, this was before all the gps crap..my car sat on the trailer for 3 weeks until they got the tractor fixed...company kept on delaying me, the driver came clean when he delivered my car, never used them again, sounds like you are close to getting yours delivered!

JR,

How long did it take you to get to that level?

Re motorcycles - I was adventurous years ago with my dirtbike (Bultaco) but have a healthy respect (even fear) of riding in traffic. Only had my bike a year (Honda DN-01 - you either love it or hate it - I :icon_syda: it ). I've heard the track is a great way to learn the bike. I have zero interest in speed/knee dragging at this point. Call me chicken but I'm not THAT adventurous. Kudos to you for having the GUTS :). I will take more risks with four wheels but for now I'm getting my bearings on two. With that said - I do lust after a Ducati. Was interested in the Diavel and sat on one a week ago at an unveiling. The tank seems large for the bike but I like the low seat height and the rear tire is extremely wide giving the bike a very aggressive look. I like it but would prefer a monster as a sport bike. Maybe in a few years when I'm more proficient and confident in my 2 wheel skills. Note: the DN01 is the OPPOSITE of a Lambo (or Ducati). Upright riding position, low seat height, contemporary styling and ultra smooth & comfortable are what I love. I do get asked A LOT of questions about the bike (maybe similar to lambo in that regard) cause its very different looking. I luv it (looks & ride) and enjoy the curiosity it provokes.

I hear great things about the Suzuki SV 650 for learning how to ride...very cheap too.

BTW, you say you have no interest in "speed/dragging knees", but you don't know for sure until you've crossed that road. :icon_mrgreen:

when I bought my Ford GT, they included shipping and used JP logistics, it took almost two weeks to get me the car CA - FL.... when I bought the GT-R, I found a single car transport, and he had the car to me in 1.5 days..... VA - FL.....