Is it me

Allan-Herbie

Isnt one of the driving factors of the 355 being so cheap the fact that they require the 15G engine out every couple years or so? I do agree that they are fantastic looking cars.

My business partner had one and the maintainence killed him. 8-20k every time he took it in. Not just scheduled maintainence but thing that needed to be fixed/replaced and while you are getting so and so fixed well you are paying for labor to get at it you might as well replace so and so.

Isnt one of the driving factors of the 355 being so cheap the fact that they require the 15G engine out every couple years or so? I do agree that they are fantastic looking cars.

15g is an exaggerated figure.

You have your minors (every 15k) and your major services (every 30k/5 years). For the V8 cars, the major service I believe is around $5-7k depending on dealer vs. independent.

The big thing with the 355 these days are the valve guides deteriorating. You could have a $20k bomb on your hands if you don't handle it pre-emptively.

Can you substitute out the 997 TT for a GT2 or GT3? 996 era cars are ok so long as they are GT series.

I don't see an 8.4 liter Viper on your list....is it holding value well or not a fan?

Come to think of it, I don't recall Allan owning a Viper...

GTS are holding their value very well, better than the newer SRT actually. A low mile GTS is still holding low 50's, but a good driver 97-99 can be had for under 40 if you shop around. Plus the 97-99 had forged pistons stock and a bigger cam, so they are ripe to slap on a blower and lay 800+ to the tires without pulling a valve cover.

In the HP/$$$ equation it's a very hard car to beat, and you can kick the shit out of them for 100k+ miles without much more than the regular oil changes.

15g is an exaggerated figure.

You have your minors (every 15k) and your major services (every 30k/5 years). For the V8 cars, the major service I believe is around $5-7k depending on dealer vs. independent.

The big thing with the 355 these days are the valve guides deteriorating. You could have a $20k bomb on your hands if you don't handle it pre-emptively.

My figure seems right in line with Raj's post. Thats what everyone bitches about on Fchat too is the fact that they cost so damn much to work on. Regardless its a beautiful car.

The 355 isn't a consideration, even at $50k. And I love that car.

Because no one is going to dump $20k into even a cheap bolt-on TT system, combined with healthy annual service hits, which then turn the car into a $100k+ ownership proposition.

And worse, there's no way anyone is leaving that car stock and enjoying leisurely 13.xx 1/4 mile runs with Moms in AMGs literally blowing your doors off day to day, let alone everything else out there that could eat that up.

For the level of money an F355TT would cost to own you're in the range of modern supercars like a used 997 TT PDK (beast), a 05/06 Gallardo, or any number of slightly used cars made the last 3-4 years. You're even not far away from an F430 at that level of investvent, that should put it into perspective.

The F355's day has passed, and with current Ferraris being mostly judged on a design scale of "ugly as hell" to "I can tolerate this one", no one mourns the loss more than myself. :icon_mrgreen:

Guest Rob Burgundy

Mako that was in my top 3 favorite post from you

My figure seems right in line with Raj's post. Thats what everyone bitches about on Fchat too is the fact that they cost so damn much to work on. Regardless its a beautiful car.

15k *every* major service is not correct. If you had to do it once off the bat to sort out a problem car, it shouldn't be more than a few k every few years.

The 355 isn't a consideration, even at $50k. And I love that car.

Because no one is going to dump $20k into even a cheap bolt-on TT system, combined with healthy annual service hits, which then turn the car into a $100k+ ownership proposition.

And worse, there's no way anyone is leaving that car stock and enjoying leisurely 13.xx 1/4 mile runs with Moms in AMGs literally blowing your doors off day to day, let alone everything else out there that could eat that up.

For the level of money an F355TT would cost to own you're in the range of modern supercars like a used 997 TT PDK (beast), a 05/06 Gallardo, or any number of slightly used cars made the last 3-4 years. You're even not far away from an F430 at that level of investvent, that should put it into perspective.

The F355's day has passed, and with current Ferraris being mostly judged on a design scale of "ugly as hell" to "I can tolerate this one", no one mourns the loss more than myself. :icon_mrgreen:

The 355 is not a consideration if you want to own it for the same reason you want to own all these other cars. If you want to TT it, look somewhere else.

Only mods should be exhaust, and anything suspension/brake related.

However, at $50k for what it is and the proper usage -- curvy driving roads, track, etc. it's a great deal. Before this was strictly 328/348 territory.

As a 2nd or 3rd exotic, it works.

A $30k one with a Magnacharged LS2 swap seems like a bad ass car for the money. :icon_mrgreen:

Guest Rob Burgundy
I would get a Lotus TT V8 over a 355..

Good call. The Anniversary TTV8 is still awesome IMO

Or do 50K F355's seem like a bad ass car for the money?

Low mile 06 Viper Coupe. Much better. F355 is such a POS. At least the Viper is fast. Add $10k in mods and it's stupid fast and def very fun. Cheap upkeep as well.

The sound is worth it IMO

The sound is what makes it hard to choose amongst other cars....Viper, Lotus Esprit V8, etc. None of them come close to sounding like that.

The sound is what makes it hard to choose amongst other cars....Viper, Lotus Esprit V8, etc. None of them come close to sounding like that.

I know I was on the way to to the Orange County Airport heading home and there was a 355 about 1/2 a mile down the road and I about creamed my pants....sounded like heaven on earth.

I know I was on the way to to the Orange County Airport heading home and there was a 355 about 1/2 a mile down the road and I about creamed my pants....sounded like heaven on earth.

it had musical exhaust, right?

I sold my 355 spider back in the day and it had 8k miles and already was getting the bubbled up and sticky interior and leaking manifold issues. Its a decent looking car for the money but like others said its a bomb and the shit that can go wrong with them costs real money to fix.