If you were in your mid 20's where would you live?

Rawr

But I can't figure out why you would pick Vegas over a place like NY. Imho NY has absolutely everything you can dream of. Vegas is only fun if you have a lot of money (I assume).

I personally REALLY don't like NYC.

Cost is far too high.

The no offense comments:

People that live there think its the best thing since sliced bread

Don't like the general attitude and demeanor of New Yorkers

High tax rate

High barriers to entry in business

Girls wear too much clothing and are high maintenance like Miami girls, just without the looks to back it up

Winter is too cold

Summer is too hot

EVERYTHING is expensive there.

I hate broadway shows

Horrendous traffic

I despise all of their sports teams

If I was really interested in getting into banking or stock market or a large investment firm, I would move there in a heartbeat and live in a suburb.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Girls wear too much clothing and are high maintenance like Miami girls, just without the looks to back it up

True story. :lol2: :lol2:

I consider myself a NYer having grown up in the school system there, and try to objectively answer the question why my fellow New Yorkers consider it the greatest city in the world.

IMHO, it really boils down to the fact that the city is far more cosmopolitan than anything in the US -- nothing comes close really. Culture, museums, art galleries, social events that are not about bars & clubs far outnumber #2 whichever city that may be (SF comes to mind and that's a small city). I know it's hard to imagine that there's life outside of car spotting and picking up girls... :icon_mrgreen:

Then there's the ethnic and racial diversity. That has value to some people, to others not so much. It has everything every other city has....maybe not the most, but enough.

A true 24 hour city that serves alcohol till 4 AM. It's not the best city in any one category really, but does a lot of things really well (and poorly too).

The bias really is from those who have lived here there whole life. They've adjusted to the s***, and can't get by without certain things. The brutality of NYC gets overlooked a bit, but can't deny it's there.

I would say that bias extends to natives of other cities, so it's hard to really make objective lists.

Do you have money and are you employable?

If you don't need to work and you want to enjoy your surroundings, I would lean to a beach location in a warm location in the winter and a city in the summer.

Cities are more expensive to live in generally, and breaking in to a profession is not easy.

Where I live is perfect because you can enjoy the time you aren't working, and enjoy the place when you are working. Of course, you don't want to get gunned down in the process

No, I have little money left and that's why I left FL beach life, because it was like being in paradise not really thinking about the future.. it was great but not for a 26 year old who needs to get his shit together and make $$$/build his life.

5mil a within 10 years sounds pretty optimistic, where is this still possible? 5 years working in a biz 5 years starting your own biz comes to mind as one of the ideas

While a city like Columbus lacks some of the really high end features of the larger cities, I think a "middle market" city is a great environment for business opportunities.

If you think about it, a city like Austin, Columbus, or Indy all have enough people/money/businesses to present opportunities without being over-saturated like a NY, Chicago or LA.

For example, my video production company does pretty good business in Columbus but wouldn't have gotten off of the ground in New York because there are just too damn many. I think that translates to lots of other businesses as well.

True story. :lol2: :lol2:

I consider myself a NYer having grown up in the school system there, and try to objectively answer the question why my fellow New Yorkers consider it the greatest city in the world.

IMHO, it really boils down to the fact that the city is far more cosmopolitan than anything in the US -- nothing comes close really. Culture, museums, art galleries, social events that are not about bars & clubs far outnumber #2 whichever city that may be (SF comes to mind and that's a small city). I know it's hard to imagine that there's life outside of car spotting and picking up girls... :icon_mrgreen:

Then there's the ethnic and racial diversity. That has value to some people, to others not so much. It has everything every other city has....maybe not the most, but enough.

A true 24 hour city that serves alcohol till 4 AM. It's not the best city in any one category really, but does a lot of things really well (and poorly too).

The bias really is from those who have lived here there whole life. They've adjusted to the s***, and can't get by without certain things. The brutality of NYC gets overlooked a bit, but can't deny it's there.

I would say that bias extends to natives of other cities, so it's hard to really make objective lists.

It is definitely the most cosmopolital city in the us. IMO also the most cultured city when it comes to museums, art galleries, shows, etc. That is something that South Florida lacks SEVERELY along with our horrible public transportation system. All that comes with a steep price though. Probably the highest total cost of living in the us if you live in Manhattan when you factor in taxes, cost of food, cost of housing, cost of everyday items, etc.

While a city like Columbus lacks some of the really high end features of the larger cities, I think a "middle market" city is a great environment for business opportunities.

If you think about it, a city like Austin, Columbus, or Indy all have enough people/money/businesses to present opportunities without being over-saturated like a NY, Chicago or LA.

For example, my video production company does pretty good business in Columbus but wouldn't have gotten off of the ground in New York because there are just too damn many. I think that translates to lots of other businesses as well.

Been to 2 of the 3 cities listed.

While I understand your point completely. For what the cities lack in all other areas, I personally couldn't do it.

Oh and if we would expand our talks to Canada, Toronto ROCKS. Wouldn't want to be there in the winter though.

No, I have little money left and that's why I left FL beach life, because it was like being in paradise not really thinking about the future.. it was great but not for a 26 year old who needs to get his shit together and make $$$/build his life.

5mil a within 10 years sounds pretty optimistic, where is this still possible? 5 years working in a biz 5 years starting your own biz comes to mind as one of the ideas

Seems like Austin might be a good fit given the above.

Top Ten cities for single woman Might be worth a look. :icon_mrgreen:

Las Vegas #8 for women? May be if your a single stripper or hooker. Whoever wrote that is a stupid crackhead.

NYC might not be for you, but make no mistake there is no substitute. The downside is that after a few years (living there or not) your friends at home will all sound like rednecks.

If you don't mind the cold weather Montreal has pretty much everything... but seeing as I'm from Montreal and sick of the cold winters I'd move to Arizona if I had the chance. :icon_mrgreen:

If you don't mind the cold weather Montreal has pretty much everything... but seeing as I'm from Montreal and sick of the cold winters I'd move to Arizona if I had the chance. :icon_mrgreen:

Montreal is great, lived there for 1.5 years...problem is francais, and it is expensive. Fun city though

Montreal is the best place for me....been to a few places in the US (LA, Chicago, Tampa, San Diego...albeit San Diego has the best weather year round IMO), but I've always love coming back to Montreal. French can be a deterrent to some, but no more than Spanish to many of the cities in the States. On the plus side, the French Canadian women in Montreal will definitely make up for overcoming the language barrier.

Personally, I find French Canadian hotties to be second to none.....so much so that I recently married to one ;)

On the down side, the road conditions in Montreal are horrendous....definitely not a place for driving exotics unless you are cruising at walking speeds down St-Catherine/Crescent/St-Laurent streets.

what biz are you in or have a background in?

The only business I know of to obtain serious capital over a short time without an education in that background is SALES.

I say the most educated way of making this decision is get one dart, a map of the world and fire away. Dont think you have any other methodology, so that will be the best coarse of action.

The only business I know of to obtain serious capital over a short time without an education in that background is SALES.

Sales, of drugs? :eusa_think:

Atlanta. I lived there a year, and unfortunately my job at the time transfered me out. Lots of opportunity, financially & socially. Large number of clubs, companies to pick from or start your own business.

I moved from New Zealand to Manhattan when I was 26 and it blew my mind. It was actually more fun when I first got there and had no money because everyone I was with was broke as well and we had a blast. I was working 14 hours a day as well. Sleep when you die seemed to be the motto then. While your in your 20's you might as well go for it and live somewhere that has the work hard play hard mentality of NYC.

This!

I'm planning on moving to NYC next year...

Got a quick question for anyone familiar with the southern California area. I am planning to move to southern california area from Boston. Interested in moving to OC, San Diego, or Monterrey Park area. Which of these areas do you recommend? How bad is traffic during times that aren't weekday rush hours in general in the SoCal area?

Got a quick question for anyone familiar with the southern California area. I am planning to move to southern california area from Boston. Interested in moving to OC, San Diego, or Monterrey Park area. Which of these areas do you recommend? How bad is traffic during times that aren't weekday rush hours in general in the SoCal area?

SoCal is bigger than your entire state, so without a specific road, asking a general traffic question pertaining to the area from OC to San Diego is silly. Additionally without more details about your current situation, it is impossible to give you a recommendation which is worth a shit.

SoCal is bigger than your entire state, so without a specific road, asking a general traffic question pertaining to the area from OC to San Diego is silly. Additionally without more details about your current situation, it is impossible to give you a recommendation which is worth a shit.

Ok, let's say I moved into Monterey Park. How bad is traffic if I'm trying to go into LA city and drive around the city, coming from Monterey Park and avoiding usual weekday rush hours?