Diablo GT Project

murcivu

TUBI

do you have also cat by pass pipes? higly raccomanded on diablos!!!

Not exactly sure, but I'll find out next week when I work on installing the exhaust.

On the door panels it looks like you are using the 3M Dinoc Carbon Vinyl wrap. Am I correct? It looks good!!

Yes sir, you are correct and thanks!

Ya what is that? How does that wear and feel to the touch?

It's a vinyl 3d wrap sheet that's quite stretchable when heated...similar to a clear wrap. The feel is smooth with a hint of texture because of the subtle raised surfaces. It's very sticky and can be challenging to work with if the surface have multiple angles and contours. After a couple of mistakes, you'll kinda get the hang of it.

If it is a wrap, it looks good but not Lambo good. Sorry.

You're right. It's good for what it is. If you go in knowing that is not a substitute for real cf, then I think you'll be pleased. For me, it's reminiscent of raw carbon fiber, which I really like. On another note, I didn't feel like spending $3-4k just to have these panels done in real cf. Overall, I think it looks great without having to break the bank. With that being said, I believe there's more parts to be wrapped :icon_mrgreen:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used it to wrap all my dash and door pieces of my 92 850. The stuff is great and you can actually feel the simulated threading plus the semi shine with the right lighting really give it that look of real dry carbon. I also had the roof wrapped as well, so it gives my 8 a more current appearance. I got the idea when I saw a 2011 M3 that has the real carbon roof.

It's a vinyl 3d wrap sheet that's quite stretchable when heated...similar to a clear wrap. The feel is smooth with a hint of texture because of the subtle raised surfaces. It's very sticky and can be challenging to work with if the surface have multiple angles and contours. After a couple of mistakes, you'll kinda get the hang of it.

Did you do it yourself or did you have a shop do it? Looks like a quality job.

Did you do it yourself or did you have a shop do it? Looks like a quality job.

Thank you! Actually did it myself. That side step panel was definitely a pain in the arse! Just go slow and have patience.

• 4 months later...
whatever happened to this project?

dave

No worries Dave! Still alive and well. Hoping to wrap everything up by the end of this month. The interior GT dash upgrade will have to be on hold for now. It has been on order for 3 mos from the factory, but still no word on delivery. Supposedly it will be the last one that they make because they will get rid of the mold afterwards. Also, waiting on new shoes to come in as well. Then after everything is done and I've gotten a chance to drive it...the next major mod will be _________! (hint...a lot of whining)

You're installing a woman in the car?

LOL! Already have the wife for that. Sorry buddy...been busy getting the garage ready. I still need to get you that pic today...hang tight.

Turbos!

Close...I went with twin sc. Should be here in a few weeks. I'll have Sphere do the install....can't wait!

Close...I went with twin sc. Should be here in a few weeks. I'll have Sphere do the install....can't wait!

Nice. I like Mark. I will take my car to him for the stuff that is beyond my shadetree mechanic skills.

Is this going to be the same setup that Limey had on his 6.0? How did you know what superchargers to go with? Looking forward to seeing the final product!

Nice. I like Mark. I will take my car to him for the stuff that is beyond my shadetree mechanic skills.

Me too, I'm not too mechanically inclined. I need to have him install my BBK as well.

Def in for more pics and the finally product. White Car with Red and Black interior? Going to looks sharp!

Thanks for the nice compliment. I'll try to take and post some pics today when I get back from the shop.

Is this going to be the same setup that Limey had on his 6.0? How did you know what superchargers to go with? Looking forward to seeing the final product!

I just sent you come pics of that piece Chip. Sorry so late. As for the sc...it is Limey's actual system. We just have to adapt it to my model.

• 2 weeks later...

This really sounds an amazing project, can't wait to see it finished.

I know about a Diablo SE30 Jota that was rebuilt as a GTR look alike after it was involved in an accident :

lccg043.jpg

The owner left the dual air intakes on the engine cover so people who know what to look for know it isn't a real GTR ... note the small 'Jota' above the GTR logo.

I think I have some more photos of this car in the archives ...

• 2 weeks later...

All that's left of the body waiting to be assembled are the side rocker panels, side mirrors, rear center panel, front bumper and rear spoiler. Currently working on the brake duct hose for the front bumper and will post more pics shortly. Can't wait to bring her home!

20120827_134416.jpg

20120827_134513.jpg

Sweet. Nice detail on relocating the fuel fill.

Thanks. This part actually took a bit of work and was almost omitted. We had to modify the air intake vent in order to accomodate for the new vertical piping. But damn, does it look good.

I love that color.

Thanks. Nothing like it in the sun.

Can't wait to see the finished product. I'm guessing the hood looks a little off due to it being ajar.

Yes, the hood is ajar. All the panels line up rather nicely.

Here are some pics of the front brake duct hose:

20120829_205015.jpg

20120829_204957.jpg

20120829_205038.jpg