Okay, who plays guitar?

TheFilipinoStig

I've always been a Gibson guy myself but have been looking to expand my horizons. I also need to get playing more often - as my skills have dramatically dropped. Right now I have a '61 Gibson SG Reissue, Epiphone Les Paul (with beatiful maple quilted top - first guitar). '77 Gibson L-5S Custom (for sale if anyone is interested) and a Martin acoustic. I also have an old Charvel that got needs a new body - more of a project guitar. And I have a ton of electric/acoustic basses that my Dad played. Fender Jazz, old 60s Fender bass, Ovation acoustic, an upright, Ibanez, Washburn. Too many instruments to list.

Always been a fan of PRS. A Seafoam Green Fender Strat also sounds really appealing too. The old Music Man or Peavey Van Halen guitars played great - fantastic neck, great pickups, and a serious Floyd Rose. They hold their value for sure.

Who else plays?

Guest SP_Lotta Murci
I've always been a Gibson guy myself but have been looking to expand my horizons. I also need to get playing more often - as my skills have dramatically dropped. Right now I have a '61 Gibson SG Reissue, Epiphone Les Paul (with beatiful maple quilted top - first guitar). '77 Gibson L-5S Custom (for sale if anyone is interested) and a Martin acoustic. I also have an old Charvel that got needs a new body - more of a project guitar. And I have a ton of electric/acoustic basses that my Dad played. Fender Jazz, old 60s Fender bass, Ovation acoustic, an upright, Ibanez, Washburn. Too many instruments to list.

Always been a fan of PRS. A Seafoam Green Fender Strat also sounds really appealing too. The old Music Man or Peavey Van Halen guitars played great - fantastic neck, great pickups, and a serious Floyd Rose. They hold their value for sure.

Who else plays?

squire_strat_pic.jpg

When is the audition? :icon_mrgreen:

I play. I'm on my 3rd Les Paul Custom with EMG81/85. I also have a Dean Razorback with the extra frets for shredding.

I recently tried to pick up a Strat but could not get used to the neck. Too fat.

I've got 2 John Cruz master built 60's strats, a 60's les paul standard. used to have a ton of effects and amps, but sold about 90% of it. was a ton of fun to have >20 pedals on a board.

Amps were my thing. I went through a ton. Finally landed a fantastic deal on a modified Soldano SLO-100 (depth mod - no FX loop) running through a VHT 4x12. TONE BABY!

In the strings, I play guitar, electric bass, classical/jazz bass, and the chapman stick. As as far as basses go, I have a gritty, fat sounding Honer B-Bass 4 string. It is not expensive, but was owned by a interesting musician and I play it when I want to play dirty, nasty funk. I also have a 5 string Warwick that is awesome. i use it for more refined sound. I play bass through a Trace Elliot amp. As far as guitars go, I have a music man electric, some all chrome resonator, a Taylor baby, fender acoustic, and a yamaha acoustic. I have a 4x12 cabinet for the electric. I just sold my 12 string Grand Stick, and hope to order a new chapman stick soon. i played it through a fishman amp.

In case you havent seen the chapman stick, it is extremely difficult:

My favorite song on the stick:

My chapman teacher:

Here is who taught me to play guitar, and a good friend. We have similar styles...him improvising:

covering tainted love, SOLO AT 2:20:

I've been playing on and off for almost 20 years now... Never quite became the next Satriani the way I'd hoped, but it's still fun to make some noise. I've got a 1996 PRS Custom 24, which has the prototype Santana pickups that I got from an old friend of Paul's. There's also a Godin Acousticaster in the collection, which I've always liked quite a bit. My main guitar now is an Alembic inspired design that I built myself. I may be a bit biased, but it plays and sounds beautifully. Here are a couple of pictures of it:

4091155151_6b81b29494_b.jpg

4091924620_ccfef28b79_b.jpg

Sadly, I've learned the hard way to never sell a musical instrument... At one point I had a 1968 Gibson SG Junior, a 1 of 1 PRS (birdseye maple top and a unique color for that year), and an Ibanez USA Custom. I wish I'd kept them all.

In case you havent seen the chapman stick, it is extremely difficult:

I think Stefan Lessard plays the chapman stick.

I've got a 70s Hohner, a Takamine, and an Ibanez - all acoustic. Thought of getting a Taylor - I'd like a 6-series cutaway with electronics.

I've got 2 John Cruz master built 60's strats, a 60's les paul standard. used to have a ton of effects and amps, but sold about 90% of it. was a ton of fun to have >20 pedals on a board.

Why is that fun, it sucks out your tone? :)

@Bonedoc

The last vid you posted is really nice, good cover and the way it was filmed, great work!

Yep!

Hey: Have any of you guitarists checked out the Axe FX modelling gear by Fractal Audio?

Currently a 'Standard' user and on the waiting list for a 'II' , for me ( a player for more than 25 years) this thing has been a big revelation..

If you are looking for the sound and 'feel' of a real tube amp, and have never been completely convinced by the other modellers out there; then I say check it out!

Guitar-wise, I'm a cheapskate. These days you need spend no more that £300 on one, stick a decent EMG or Seymour Duncan in it and you've got a guitar every bit as good as the ££££'s models! ( mind you , I do only play Proper Heavy Metal so that may have something to do with that point of view... :)

Started playing two years ago...i've always loved the electric guitar but never owned or played one.

one week purolator's delivery driver to our area quit and until they hired a new guy we dropped off our packages...purolators drop location happened to be in the back of a music shop...lol...four days later i had my first guitar :)

Its a Gibson/Epiphone Special 2...its been a great beginners guitar...its a sunburst and a lefty (I play left).

I love playing and like many don't play as much as i'd like...I just play for me...i just zen out and tab my way through songs that i've love my whole life.

I started playing guitar when I'm 8 year old. After I've practiced for 2 years, and follow the important fundamentals on how to play guitar in advance. I gather all the best of the best guitar player in our school when I'm 12 years old and started to make a name in our place but, I have to quit and moved to other country to take up college degree.

The best thing about guitar is that, if you learn how to play it and make your own theory on how to use your knowledge about chords, patterns, Do re mi fa . . . . and etc. You can actually play any instruments.

I started playing when I was 12 years old, took lessons for about 5 years and got really serious with it for a while. In high school I was in a number of bands including an original Prog Rock/Metal band and a Jazz band, also played a lot of blues guitar in informal jam sessions with other musicians. In college I played less and mostly used it as a way to woo females, which worked very well.

I still have all of my equipment including 10 guitars, Gibsons, Fenders, ESP, Jackson, Ibanez, etc., 5 amps including a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV full stack and a full digital 24 track recording studio. I don't really play much anymore, but once in a while I will pick it up and try to play some of the stuff I used to be able to play, or I'll play songs for my kids.

I don't play as much any more either. Been playing about 30 yrs. I have kept my 80's axes for memorabilia: 3 Ibanez jems, 3 charvels (including a CS Demartiini Blood & Skull), Jackson CS Soloist, custom ESP. Amps: Soldano, Marshall, Line 6, etc, etc.

I've been playing on and off for almost 20 years now... Never quite became the next Satriani the way I'd hoped, but it's still fun to make some noise. I've got a 1996 PRS Custom 24, which has the prototype Santana pickups that I got from an old friend of Paul's. There's also a Godin Acousticaster in the collection, which I've always liked quite a bit. My main guitar now is an Alembic inspired design that I built myself. I may be a bit biased, but it plays and sounds beautifully. Here are a couple of pictures of it:

4091155151_6b81b29494_b.jpg

4091924620_ccfef28b79_b.jpg

Sadly, I've learned the hard way to never sell a musical instrument... At one point I had a 1968 Gibson SG Junior, a 1 of 1 PRS (birdseye maple top and a unique color for that year), and an Ibanez USA Custom. I wish I'd kept them all.

Bro, that is some fine work on the custom guitar. Beautiful !

Approx 1k

I think you are way off, I don't know if the 2203 is the one to have or not because there were several editions. But it's certainly not 1K, I would say around 400-800 us dollars. But you just have to look that up yourself Profunctional.

I started a year ago to learn to play. I got a 60 ri LP classic and have an autographed epiphone slash. I need more time to practice. I also have a crappy acoustic but plan on commissioning a lavaree soon.

Bro, that is some fine work on the custom guitar. Beautiful !

Thanks... I'd wanted to build a guitar since I started playing, so it was a really rewarding process. I've been wanting a Strat lately, so I may build one (or two, or three...) this summer. I could probably build half a dozen of them with the time and money I spent on the one in the pictures.

I think you are way off, I don't know if the 2203 is the one to have or not because there were several editions. But it's certainly not 1K, I would say around 400-800 us dollars. But you just have to look that up yourself Profunctional.

Yeah, the 2203 is the one to have and you'd pay best part of £1K in the UK - for the 80's model - reissue maybe less...

Unless you need the cash I'd hold on to it - glad I kept mine!

2203's and 2204's go for 1K and up. $400-800?? You may find a 2205 at $800... $400?? sell me some !!

Mostly play accoustic (classical).. 9 guitars in the collection now including a good old strat but as far as unamplified sound is concerned the Ramirez Centenario is the absolute favorite.. nothing beats the good old Brazilian rosewood..

Now only if I could find the time to play more..

2203's and 2204's go for 1K and up. $400-800?? You may find a 2205 at $800... $400?? sell me some !!

My 2203 is a reissue. I just searched and prices are all over the place. MusiciansFriend and GuitarCenter has the reissue for $2300 US used. I don't mind keeping it, but I just never play it. I've tried taking two of the tubes out, but no matter what I can't get it to sound right without it dimed. I've even tried playing with the amp in one room and me in another room. The entire floor rumbles.