Aviation thread

capt_chaos

Damn, awesome flip!

it really helps when they guy you partner with can do all the work to get it airworthy again (it hadn't flown in 5 years) for just the time.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clip from a quick spin I took tonight down the Skyline Route to the Newark transition where one of the air traffic controller's at Newark threw on the lights on intersecting runway 29 for me to spot the runway and follow it then head back to KCDW. Definitely a cool experience overflying EWR at 2000' at night.

• 2 weeks later...
Love stories like this and would love to own and be able to fly one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-32488837

Will be interesting to see what they go for. An airport near here, someone has a Spitfire (can't remember the exact model), he flies it most weekends. My Dad kept a plane there as well. The Spitfire would do some high speed passes of the airport, before landing. I've wanted that plane since it arrived at our airport in the 90's. Very cool sight to see and hear a Spitfire flying.

DA42-1.jpg

Made a quick trip to KMGJ to check out my future plane choices, the DA40 and DA42; unbelievable how quiet the diesel DA42 is, and how quick it is, 200kt cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

A local to me airport, about 5miles from my house, holds an international airshow every year. I've been going since the late 70's. Since we are close to Seattle (2hrs away), usually the U.S military brings a few planes. A-10 to F15 and the Blue Angels or The Thunderbirds. Its a great show. But since Obama has taken office, they cut the foreign airshow budget, so no American planes. Only a U.S Border patrol Blackhawk helicopter last year, but the airport is 2 miles from the border and it was in the area.

Without planes like the A-10 or F-15, etc. the show is boring. I really miss the American military. Over the years they have had everything at the show, even an SR-71 showed up. This year I'm not going.

Quick reaction time and thankfully an airport right there.

Quick reaction time and thankfully an airport right there.

Love the break down of what happened and why he reacted the way he did and what he could have done better. I booked marked this for when I am at site so that I can use it during my safety briefs and a real world example of how proper planning pays off.

Love the break down of what happened and why he reacted the way he did and what he could have done better. I booked marked this for when I am at site so that I can use it during my safety briefs and a real world example of how proper planning pays off.

THat is a fantastic video for that

I always used this one for teaching students about engine outs.

Interesting video

Art Nalls has had a life long dedication to flying. His addiction to the sky has lead him to an honorable military career and an even more adventurous retirement. Nalls has had the unique opportunity to purchase his own British Harrier Jump Jet. Find out how this retired Lt. Col test pilot uses his passion for flight to help preserve military history with the maintenance and upkeep of the last three remaining Sea Harriers.

• 2 months later...

If you have the latest version of Chrome, Opera or Firefox, you can manipulate this 360-degree view video (youtube app is required for mobile devices). Your mouse controls the view as you click and drag on the screen to look around, up, down, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the age of the airframe means that no amount of money will get it back in the skies :crybaby2:

Such an awesome aircraft...

• 1 month later...