Do you use your Gallardo as a daily driver?

BGTHEMOGUL

That's the other thing. There is a lot of sarcasm on this board. It's just for fun. THere's really no need to fight back to the 'keyboard bullies' If you stay around, try and see the culture of the board and figure out 99% of the insults are just normal guy insults and have no meaning.

When looking at an egear car know that stop and go driving and especially a lot of reverse driving makes more wear to the clutch. As time went on the clutches on the cars were improved resulting on longer lifespans. 04 cars with updated ecu software and newer factory clutches tend to do better than what they came from the factory with. Also the newer the car the better the egear box altogether so basically almost every year you got a better egear system from the factory due to the box or the clutch or a combination.

On egear cars you can get a computer egear snapshot to know how much clutch is left. On manual cars there is no snapshot. A tech is supposed to be able to see the clutch through access holes in the tranny, but they'll tell you it's not definitive. Additionally on egear parts you have to think about parts going bad, lines, pumps, etc. They can cost you significantly more than a clutch job. There is not known reason for when these parts fail, sometimes they just do.

Thank you for that information. The first question I've asked the people I've talked to that have G's for sale is if they have a recent e-gear snap showing the remaining clutch life. Also if they have all service records as well. I've never owned a manual car although I've had several sport bikes and driven plenty of manual vehicles. I just don't like it. Personal preference. If there was some insane significant difference than I would certainly reconsider but based on the information I've gathered thus far, it seemed the clutch life on e-gear and manual were quite comparable. I'm still researching, educating myself and learning but at the same time I'm certainly not some "teenage dreamer" or some "troll" not looking to make a relatively quick purchase. The main problem I'm having is finding the right car at the right price. :)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main problem I'm having is finding the right car at the right price. :)

That's most everone's main problem.

Here's why your clutch information doesn't make a lot of sense. The owners of the early cars have said over and over that the clutches on early cars burn out 7-10k miles. The reason for this I've already stated. The difference between egear and manual (assuming the manual driver doesn't suck ass at driving a manual) is that clutch wear is built into egear. Since the programs allow for a certain amount of slippage that's clutch wear. Reverse doesn't even have full clutch engagement.

That's most everone's main problem.

Here's why your clutch information doesn't make a lot of sense. The owners of the early cars have said over and over that the clutches on early cars burn out 7-10k miles. The reason for this I've already stated. The difference between egear and manual (assuming the manual driver doesn't suck ass at driving a manual) is that clutch wear is built into egear. Since the programs allow for a certain amount of slippage that's clutch wear. Reverse doesn't even have full clutch engagement.

I've come to realize that's everyones problem, especially now with the shortage of cars available. Keep in mind when I'm talking about the early e-gear cars I'm also referring to ones that have had the clutch replaced already as most of these cars are past the mileage of the factory clutch. It's not my clutch information that doesn't make a lot of sense it's the information relayed to me from other drivers specifically of these earlier (04-06) e-gear cars.

Your best way to go about it is figure out what colors you are interested in, then features, then everything else. It can take a year or more to find the right car at the right price. Some people say fcuk that shit and up their upper limit on expenditure and grab a car that pops up that fits their desires (what's 5-10k $ to get the right car right now vs waiting months without a car), others settle for the car that fits their needs so they don't have to wait and some will wait forever.

Unfortunately for you the prices rebounded. In 09 you could have gotten a sweet 05 for a steal, now they are going to cost more. The prices appear to have stabilized now but are still more than they were.

Again, make friends on this board. A lot of guys here know about or hear about cars before the general public gets wind. Sometimes owners will list a perfect car for sale here at a good price just to make a quick transaction.

It's interesting that you find a "tone" condescending via a message board. That's certainly a first. Secondly I have not asked the same question once. Please show me two threads asking the same question. Thirdly a message board, or forum if you like, is designed for one to research, educate and interact with other members. As a "moderator" here you should understand those simple principles.

You seem to have all the answers and all the questions. It's a wonder we are able to provide help at all. Bottom line my previous statement stands and although you are without malice which is in your favor you have a way of questioning that is antagonizing. I am shocked beyond belief that Assman has the patience of a saint and is helping you. You should consider yourself very lucky, given his mechanical and real world experience. To that end he has given you great advice.

All that said if you hit my radar again you're going to have to take a time-out. I hope it doesn't come to that because on this one board you will find more actual owners than all of the rest of the net combined.

Your best way to go about it is figure out what colors you are interested in, then features, then everything else. It can take a year or more to find the right car at the right price. Some people say fcuk that shit and up their upper limit on expenditure and grab a car that pops up that fits their desires (what's 5-10k $ to get the right car right now vs waiting months without a car), others settle for the car that fits their needs so they don't have to wait and some will wait forever.

Unfortunately for you the prices rebounded. In 09 you could have gotten a sweet 05 for a steal, now they are going to cost more. The prices appear to have stabilized now but are still more than they were.

Again, make friends on this board. A lot of guys here know about or hear about cars before the general public gets wind. Sometimes owners will list a perfect car for sale here at a good price just to make a quick transaction.

Thanks for the advice. I understand the market value has changed and I heard last year there were a lot of steals around. I have no problem being patient to find the right car but would also consider upping my budget if one just caught my eye that I really wanted. I'm definitely keeping my eyes on the board as well for any private sellers.

You seem to have all the answers and all the questions. It's a wonder we are able to provide help at all. Bottom line my previous statement stands and although you are without malice which is in your favor you have a way of questioning that is antagonizing. I am shocked beyond belief that Assman has the patience of a saint and is helping you. You should consider yourself very lucky, given his mechanical and real world experience. To that end he has given you great advice.

All that said if you hit my radar again you're going to have to take a time-out. I hope it doesn't come to that because on this one board you will find more actual owners than all of the rest of the net combined.

It's a pleasure to meet you as well, Porter. :icon_thumleft:

And I think you're a joke. Who cares? Get a life and stop worrying about what I'm purchasing. Nobody asked you to come into my threads so go kick rocks, preferably with sandals on. :)

Im putting my mandals on as I type... thanks

100% agree - this guy's a complete schmuck. People are giving him the time of day and he sounds similar to a 15 year old dreamer asking mundane and pathetic questions, with which there are hundreds of threads pertaining to each one of them over the years. If you're so interested in a car, take a test drive, not an internet one and save us and yourself some time and effort. Additionally, why create a second thread about a test drive and how you get one, are you actually being serious?

Pathetic.

100% agree - this guy's a complete schmuck. People are giving him the time of day and he sounds similar to a 15 year old dreamer asking mundane and pathetic questions, with which there are hundreds of threads pertaining to each one of them over the years. If you're so interested in a car, take a test drive, not an internet one and save us and yourself some time and effort. Additionally, why create a second thread about a test drive and how you get one, are you actually being serious?

Pathetic.

You sound like a degenerate. Do me a favor and get out of my thread. :thefinger:

[edit from RD- Not a good post for you]

It's all good. Let's give BG a chance to do his thing and make it right.

There's nothing to make right because nothing was ever wrong to begin with. I will however continue to do my thing.

General consensus is that in the earlier cars (04-05) the egear clutch has a life of about 7k miles where the manual can last 20k miles or more. This varies of course with different drivers/driving styles.

Regardless of whether or not this guy is legitimate, that seems like a pretty low estimate of clutch life on any Gallardo? I have certainly seen clutches get consumed in that amount of time but I would think that the average would be somewhere between 10-15k miles. I was averaging around 12k miles for my rental Gallardo driven by people with no experience with the transmission in Atlanta traffic so I think most users should expect to see better results than that.

I know that you are very familiar with the cars and there are definitely instances where you are correct but I think that a statement like that casts a fairly scary light on some cars that can actually be great to own.

Thank you for the input regardless. It is all valuable.

Regardless of whether or not this guy is legitimate, that seems like a pretty low estimate of clutch life on any Gallardo? I have certainly seen clutches get consumed in that amount of time but I would think that the average would be somewhere between 10-15k miles. I was averaging around 12k miles for my rental Gallardo driven by people with no experience with the transmission in Atlanta traffic so I think most users should expect to see better results than that.

I know that you are very familiar with the cars and there are definitely instances where you are correct but I think that a statement like that casts a fairly scary light on some cars that can actually be great to own.

Thank you for the input regardless. It is all valuable.

The difference is probably somewhere in the reports that were given. Your numbers are most likely more accurate. I'd concede what was happening was that cars short of the 5/10/15k marks were being PPI'd and showing 80%is wear during a PPI. 80% wear meaning the clutch could have still have had quite a bit of life, but since it appeared to be a deal breaker since people don't necessarily buy a car and then change the clutch for$ 5-7k more people were changing the clutches earlier.

The difference is probably somewhere in the reports that were given. Your numbers are most likely more accurate. I'd concede what was happening was that cars short of the 5/10/15k marks were being PPI'd and showing 80%is wear during a PPI. 80% wear meaning the clutch could have still have had quite a bit of life, but since it appeared to be a deal breaker since people don't necessarily buy a car and then change the clutch for$ 5-7k more people were changing the clutches earlier.

Makes sense and I know clutch is definitely a deal breaker for me on my search right now. Most the ones I'm coming across are advertised with "new clutch" so it must be something everybody is concerned with and asks about. Like you said I know I don't want to pick up a G and have to drop $5-8k on a clutch rather quickly.

There's nothing to make right because nothing was ever wrong to begin with. I will however continue to do my thing.

Yeah, I hope this guy sticks around and becomes part of the board... :jackoff:

Yeah, I hope this guy sticks around and becomes part of the board... :jackoff:

Hey real quick check this out :thefinger:

[Edit from RD- Another post you might want to rethink- Hint- An apology does not make you less of a man.]

I will however continue to do my thing.

Not on this forum you won't. Not with that attitude.

Here's the deal. This forum is by far the BEST source of real world information on Lamborghini ownership available. We have more Lamborghini OWNERS, who ACTIVELY SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE than any other source. hands down. L-power has the market cornered.

We're also a fairly easy going board. Several of the moderators and administrators enjoy a good laugh, and don't take themselves too seriously. That attitude tends to trickle down to the rest of the membership. They like to joke around, and sometimes they take the task of moderating onto their own shoulders, probably because they've seen us do it and know what we will say. They approach things with the same irreverence that we do... Sometimes thats a bit hard for new members to pick up on immediately. People with thin skins and no sense of humor, tend not to enjoy this site, especially before they get the feel for the place, and become one of the family.

However, all social interactions, whether they be on an internet forum, or being a guest in somebodies home, have a period where the new person to the event has to gain awareness of the situation, and how to act appropriately. Non Autistics generally do this by TALKING LESS, and OBSERVING more.

1. A quick perusal of the various user titles should give you some idea of when to talk, and when to listen. When you see a user title that says "Lambo Owner" trust us. They are. We take great strives to insure that people on this board aren't talking out of their asses. It was one of my mentors' pet peeves, and it has become one of mine as well. Listen to these people. They KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. If they say something you disagree with, but have no basis of FACT OR FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE, to base your opinion on, then you should probably keep that opinion to yourself. It would be rude in ANY social situation to ask for advice and then tell the people giving it to you, that they're wrong. Whether you intend it or not, you come off as wasting their time.

2. When you see the Title "Moderators", then listening to their advice as it pertains to the board management is no longer a recommendation. Its a REQUIREMENT. We enforce the rules. We don't do so because we've got nothing better to do. We do it for the love of a board/family that has helped us answer questions like you have right now. Give them respect. They have earned it. Them bringing an issue to you, is a monologue. Not a debate. Anything beyond "I understand and it won't happen again" is superfluous. We don't have time for it.

I am personally willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. You got off to a rocky start. It happens. I think if you take it down a notch, you'll discover that L-power is an INVALUABLE resource for any perspective and future Lamborghini owner, and A SHITLOAD OF FUN, once you get to know everybody. It's not a bridge you want to burn.

3. Finally... And this is the most important thing.... DONT USE THE GODDAMNED THREAD SMILIES!

And finally- to my longtime members. Let us do the moderating, espeically with the FNGs. Enough said?

If anybody REGRETS anything they said that might have come off the wrong way, feel free to mention that.

Thanks guys.

I agree the 7k mile estimate on e-gear sounds low.

I have 19k miles on my spyder and I believe it's on its original clutch. I bought it with 14k miles and clutch snap showed around 60-70% left if I remember correctly.

I was still on the original clutch on my 08 SL when I TTed it at around 14k miles. Not sure what wear was.

The only car I've had that was coming up on a clutch change was my 06 Murci and I sold it before that, but believe new owner had a clutch put in before picking it up.

I think a lot of reports of original clutch wear on early car is a combo of a) The original clutches not being as good B) The software not being tweaked. So with the newer clutch and updated software I wouldn't be surprised if you get at least 15-20k on a clutch, possibly more.

The main clutch killer on Gallardos seem to be reversing up inclines.

run from these "keyboard bullies" as I like to call them.

Who uses that phrase? You are either new to the internet or a regular poster on Ferrari Chat.

Funny how when I tell someone their 7k clutch life estimate is far from reality I get an earful for telling a "Lambo Owner" that they are wrong and that doesn't make sense. When two other "Lambo Owners" come into my thread and say the same thing they are told they are accurate. :rolleyes:

Funny how when I tell someone their 7k clutch life estimate is far from reality I get an earful for telling a "Lambo Owner" that they are wrong and that doesn't make sense. When two other "Lambo Owners" come into my thread and say the same thing they are told they are accurate. :rolleyes:

Sprite was talking about both of his '08 model cars. I was talking about EARLY cars. There is a difference like I specifically said. Annually there were improvements in the clutch and gearbox/ecu.