Greatest Olympian?

capt_chaos

Basically long running argument and a friend and I are having.

Sir Steve Redgrave or Michael Phelps?

5 different medals versus 8 medals from one event?

Not taking anything from either party, both outstanding feats...

Discuss.

This man says your argument about the greatest Olympian is irrelevant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe

Jim_Thorpe_olympic.png

If I had to choose between your two I would pick Steve Redgrave. I'd make the argument it's harder for a person to show up and perform at gold medal level on multiple occasions stretched out over years then for a person to show up and do incredible in his peak winning everything once. I'd rather be a consistent athlete then one who performs incredibly all at once.

If I had to choose between your two I would pick Steve Redgrave. I'd make the argument it's harder for a person to show up and perform at gold medal level on multiple occasions stretched out over years then for a person to show up and do incredible in his peak winning everything once. I'd rather be a consistent athlete then one who performs incredibly all at once.

Apparently you didn't take the time to check out what Phelps has won OVER the years. He has been peaking for over 10 years... He's definitely consistent.

2002 Pan Pacific Championships: 3 gold, 2 silver

2003: World Championships 4 gold, 2 silver

2004: Olympics 6 gold, 2 bronze

2005: World Championships 5 gold, 1 silver

2006: Pan Pacific 5 gold, 1 silver

2007: World Championships 7 gold

2008: Olympics 8 gold

2009: World Championships 5 gold, 1 silver

2010: Pan Pacifics 5 gold

2011: World Championships 4 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Phelps

Swimming and rowing is something completely different. Redgrave had a much longer career, swimmers don't last that long. I know it's about the Olympics only, but Phelps is young. Maybe he'll never reach that many gold medals in a row because he was considering retirement. Anyways...

Phelps without a doubt. The problem is hes shown in the modern light of celebrities which imo diminishes his ability to appear "iconic." Based on his achievements he's the greatest of the two.

Apparently you didn't take the time to check out what Phelps has won OVER the years. He has been peaking for over 10 years... He's definitely consistent.

2002 Pan Pacific Championships: 3 gold, 2 silver

2003: World Championships 4 gold, 2 silver

2004: Olympics 6 gold, 2 bronze

2005: World Championships 5 gold, 1 silver

2006: Pan Pacific 5 gold, 1 silver

2007: World Championships 7 gold

2008: Olympics 8 gold

2009: World Championships 5 gold, 1 silver

2010: Pan Pacifics 5 gold

2011: World Championships 4 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Phelps

Swimming and rowing is something completely different. Redgrave had a much longer career, swimmers don't last that long. I know it's about the Olympics only, but Phelps is young. Maybe he'll never reach that many gold medals in a row because he was considering retirement. Anyways...

Yes but Sir Steve's accolades outside of the Olympics (which is not what the question is about) is even longer.

But the Olympics is the pinnacle of sporting excellence and Sir Steve won his first Gold medal when I was 4. His last one I was 20. He put his body through sheer hell - now I am not saying Phelps has not and he has the potential to bring more in but 16 years of being the top dog...

I just don't think you can compare these 2 (sports).

Most swimmers (Van Den Hoogenband, Thorpe and now Phelps) all quit at ages 26-30. This isn't a sport where you are able to compete on this level when you are +30 years old and still get gold medals. So imho they are both good at what they do but none is more special or better -> not comparable.

ASSMAN is right. This guy did something that no other Winter Olympian has ever done. I would put him in the top few olympians based on his unique situation. This guy was an elite muscle monster before elite fitness was mainstream, basically the infancy years of bodybuilding and fitness in our culture.

It would be like a sprinter winning 3 of his events with a GOLDS and then running the long distance events to win another 2 GOLD medals. It just is 2 completely different bodies required to run the events and he did it in one body. I'm pretty sure if there more events he could have ran, he would have won those too.

ASSMAN is right. This guy did something that no other Winter Olympian has ever done. I would put him in the top few olympians based on his unique situation. This guy was an elite muscle monster before elite fitness was mainstream, basically the infancy years of bodybuilding and fitness in our culture.

It would be like a sprinter winning 3 of his events with a GOLDS and then running the long distance events to win another 2 GOLD medals. It just is 2 completely different bodies required to run the events and he did it in one body. I'm pretty sure if there more events he could have ran, he would have won those too.

Heiden was a freak.

He's now an orthopedic surgeon. Cool guy, I worked with him a few times when I was in Sacramento. His legs are still as big as tree trunks.

He's now an orthopedic surgeon. Cool guy, I worked with him a few times when I was in Sacramento. His legs are still as big as tree trunks.

I rode with him several times after he retired from riding.....really nice guy.

"He opened a sports medicine-based practice at The Orthopedic Specialty Hospital (TOSH) in Murray, Utah and has recently expanded Heiden Orthopaedics with an additional office in Park City, Utah."

What the hell? I was just reading his article and I've spent a considerable amount of time at TOSH for physical therapy when I use to play ball. I had no idea it was founded by him...

I'd have to agree with the Phelps call, Mark Spitz is another, and I know I'm going to get shit for this but, Bruce Jenner made quite a mark.

I'd have to agree with the Phelps call, Mark Spitz is another, and I know I'm going to get shit for this but, Bruce Jenner made quite a mark.

Then he decided to have Kardashian's sloppy seconds.

This man says your argument about the greatest Olympian is irrelevant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe

Jim_Thorpe_olympic.png

Im going with Thorpe... Two Gold Medals... He also played pro football too.... Went both ways.... And Kicked... AND COACHED, simultaneously, all while batting .250 for the Cincinnati Reds.

Greatest Athlete, EVER.