Books that keep you motivated ?

MrDoctor

I generally like to read inspirational books that keep me focused. I don't necessarily need them to stay focused, the drive is there, but I like reading biographies of successful people in my line of work, etc to add fuel to the fire, so to say. Starts the morning off right or can relax the mind during tuff times. Anyone have any good ones they would recommend ? Was thinking about picking up a Richard Branson book or a tesla biography.

Reading Steve Jobs right now. Some good bits in there but the general storyline is that he was an asshole who most always got his way.

Reading Steve Jobs right now. Some good bits in there but the general storyline is that he was an asshole who most always got his way.

I'm up to page 188 and I'm thinking, damn he was a crazy asshole.

Richard Branson's autobiography was great... not just for the motivation, but for the entertainment too.

Which one ? Losing my virginity ? Was thinking about picking that up next. Love Branson.

The jobs book was crazy ! I was a little disappointed in it tbh, but valuable nonetheless.

Which one ? Losing my virginity ? Was thinking about picking that up next. Love Branson.

That's the one I read. It's a good mix of his business stuff and his adventures... keeps things interesting.

I was never a big Apple fan or Jobs nutswinger, but I found his biography to be quite good, and somewhat inspirational. The first half of the book made me totally detest the guy, but by the end he redeemed himself somewhat.

I actually re-read The Art of the Deal by Trump a couple of months back and found it to be very entertaining. He's such a pompous ass but he is quite sharp.

Here's a link to my summer reading list:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist...=topnav_lists_2

I would say that "I'm Not Leaving," "The Zen Commandments," "Rework," and especially "My Hitch In Hell" are the best books out of the list for motivation. Most of them (except Rework) have little if anything to do with business - but they all have motivating aspects. Read my comments to the right of each one and pick some out. Zen Commandments is very good and "My Hitch In Hell" will quite literally redefine how you look at life, I'm not joking...

Here's a link to my summer reading list:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist...=topnav_lists_2

I would say that "I'm Not Leaving," "The Zen Commandments," "Rework," and especially "My Hitch In Hell" are the best books out of the list for motivation. Most of them (except Rework) have little if anything to do with business - but they all have motivating aspects. Read my comments to the right of each one and pick some out. Zen Commandments is very good and "My Hitch In Hell" will quite literally redefine how you look at life, I'm not joking...

Have you read Unbroken ? sounds similar to My Hitch in Hell . If you have not , you should ! I don't think anyone has ever gone through what this guy has !

Have you read Unbroken ? sounds similar to My Hitch in Hell . If you have not , you should ! I don't think anyone has ever gone through what this guy has !

No. I added it to my list though. My Hitch In Hell was an amazing story - just about everything that could go wrong did... Very few people know what happened to our boys in the Far East who were captured. Really bad shit.

Aside from "The Millionaire Fastlane" by MJ DeMarco (written by a member here!), one of the BEST Entrepreneur/Motivational/Biography books I ever read was Duncan Bannatyne's book, "If I can do it, anyone can". Truly a rags to riches story of one of the most successful entrepreneurs in the UK. He tells his entire story from growing up poor, to enlisting in the Royal Navy (and then deciding he had to get out!), to starting his first business (an ice cream van) to breaking into real-estate with NO experience whatsoever, to eventually opening one of the largest chains of health clubs in the worlds and being recruited to be a host on the "Dragons Den", helping to give other entrepreneurs their start.

It was reccomended to me by a friend on MJ's fastlane forum years ago, and I have read it several times since whenever I find myself needing some extra fuel for the fire. Highly reccomended.

No. I added it to my list though. My Hitch In Hell was an amazing story - just about everything that could go wrong did... Very few people know what happened to our boys in the Far East who were captured. Really bad shit.

Im going to say the Unbroken Guy might have taken more abuse... just wait till you read it! unreal

I was never a big Apple fan or Jobs nutswinger, but I found his biography to be quite good, and somewhat inspirational. The first half of the book made me totally detest the guy, but by the end he redeemed himself somewhat.

I actually re-read The Art of the Deal by Trump a couple of months back and found it to be very entertaining. He's such a pompous ass but he is quite sharp.

Trump has good stuff ! Think big and kick ass, despite the title, was a good read. Shit cost me $7 in late fees at the library !

MJ came out with a book ? Nice. I remember being on his web site when I was a yougin. Will check out

"Very few people" know about the Bataan Death March? Maybe from your generation....

I certainly learned about it at a very young age... And there isn't an American alive older than 65 who doesnt know exactly what it was, and are still pissed about it....

Aside from "The Millionaire Fastlane" by MJ DeMarco (written by a member here!), one of the BEST Entrepreneur/Motivational/Biography books I ever read was Duncan Bannatyne's book, "If I can do it, anyone can". Truly a rags to riches story of one of the most successful entrepreneurs in the UK. He tells his entire story from growing up poor, to enlisting in the Royal Navy (and then deciding he had to get out!), to starting his first business (an ice cream van) to breaking into real-estate with NO experience whatsoever, to eventually opening one of the largest chains of health clubs in the worlds and being recruited to be a host on the "Dragons Den", helping to give other entrepreneurs their start.

It was reccomended to me by a friend on MJ's fastlane forum years ago, and I have read it several times since whenever I find myself needing some extra fuel for the fire. Highly reccomended.

thanks for the tip, Im gonna read duncans book, I need a good kick in the rear..

I'm going to have to look into some of these. Lately I've found myself wanting to keep pushing forward, but I'm depressed, upset, recluse and about ready to just crawl in a hole. I think depressed may perhaps be the best descriptor. Trying to keep my motivation going, but it's not always easy. It's also difficult for me to do so since I am one guy in a small town and I know of no one locally I can interface with on similar ideas on this kind of stuff. It sucks. I hate it.

For those of you who have had the chance to meet each other, share ideas, hang out and develop those connections, I truly envy you. It's hard for me. :doubt:

thanks for the tip, Im gonna read duncans book, I need a good kick in the rear..

I PROMISE you, youll enjoy it.

It is a VERY easy read, almost as though he is sitting across from you over coffee telling you his entire story of exactly HOW he made it. Just reading the inside cover had me intrigued, as he starts off the book by explaining the title, letting you know that "if he can do it, anyone can". He was born into an incredibly poor family, had no formal education/college, enlisting in the Navy at 15 years old, getting thrown out, and then living as a beach bum until he was 30 years old, doing random mediocre jobs (to avoid being homeless) such as driving taxis, fixing cars for neighbors, and bartending. While lying on a beach one day with his GF, he suddenly realized he was tired of wasting his life, and he decided he had enough. Having NO idea what he was going to do, he turned to his GF and said, "Why dont we start a business and get rich?".

As I said, I have read it probably once a year since it was given to me, and it always gets me fired up again whenever I am struggling (which in the past 5 years, has been often).

PS- There are a few copies in "Very Good" condition on Ebay right now for $2.00 each plus $4.00 shipping. You cant go wrong.

Let me know what you think! :)

I recently purchased "The Millionaire Fastlane" by MJ DeMarco on audio-book, and started listening to it in the car again just this morning (have read the physical book 2-3 times already). Another book that is worth any price you could pay for it, and one that never fails to shake me awake when I'm down.

i just finished American Sniper (what a let down) and am half way through Seal Team Six (pretty good).. i was on a Zombie book kick for a while, the morning start strain books (Plague of the Dead and Thunder and Ashes) by Z.A. Recht were amazing if you are fascinated by zombies/guns/military stuff. Day by Day Armageddon was another good zombie book, one of the most gruesome books i have ever read, i highly recommend.. it was truly disgusting but i couldn't put it down.

"Very few people" know about the Bataan Death March? Maybe from your generation....

I certainly learned about it at a very young age... And there isn't an American alive older than 65 who doesnt know exactly what it was, and are still pissed about it....

We really don't. I was walking into the library to finish my research paper (WW2 college class) carrying from waist to neck about 15 books. A lady stopped to talk to me (I was an unusual sight) and I explained what I was writing about. She was probably in her 40s and had no idea about the treatment of American POWs - she compared them to our internment camps (which she incorrectly labeled "like concentration camps"). I corrected her and told her that we actually treated them quite well compared to how we were treated. She literally had no idea. I had HEARD about the Bataan Death March but really didn't know the gritty details. My history class in high school was taught my a football coach...

We really don't. I was walking into the library to finish my research paper (WW2 college class) carrying from waist to neck about 15 books. A lady stopped to talk to me (I was an unusual sight) and I explained what I was writing about. She was probably in her 40s and had no idea about the treatment of American POWs - she compared them to our internment camps (which she incorrectly labeled "like concentration camps"). I corrected her and told her that we actually treated them quite well compared to how we were treated. She literally had no idea. I had HEARD about the Bataan Death March but really didn't know the gritty details. My history class in high school was taught my a football coach...

Very unfortunate...

You are absolutly correct..I went to Bataan last year, read about it and I was in Manila, a short trip away... and the atrocities by the Japanese were on par with the Germans if not worse in WW2...

I'm going to have to look into some of these. Lately I've found myself wanting to keep pushing forward, but I'm depressed, upset, recluse and about ready to just crawl in a hole. I think depressed may perhaps be the best descriptor. Trying to keep my motivation going, but it's not always easy. It's also difficult for me to do so since I am one guy in a small town and I know of no one locally I can interface with on similar ideas on this kind of stuff. It sucks. I hate it.

For those of you who have had the chance to meet each other, share ideas, hang out and develop those connections, I truly envy you. It's hard for me. :doubt:

When this happens to me, just think about your life aactually, think about the human race, and space, and how little who know about our purpose. Then think about death. In the scope of thing, it can make life seem pretty short and you'll realize how good have it. Gets me off my ass every time.