Need help from the handy guys

porter

My folks live in a home and all the windows are casement/crank. They are dying of heat and need an AC unit. The condo association I believe does not allow an AC unit to be hardwired in (gay).

Does anyone know of any portable air conditioning units that can be fitted/retrofitted for casement windows? I haven't seen any window mount units that are made specifically for casement windows, and I can't find any instructions on how to retrofit a portable roll around unit to the window except for a ghetto setup using plexiglass.

Any help appreciated. They are melting into tiny yellow Asian puddles of sweat.

PS: Yes I offered to buy them a new house with AC and they are stubborn unlike their #1 son who always is open to handouts.

Porter,

My senior year at school I couldn't take the heat anymore during football camp and I bought an air conditioner like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx..._-pla-_-NA-_-NA

We had casement windows at school so I went to the local hardware store, got a sheet of plexiglas and had it cut to fit the window perfectly. Then I drilled out the hole for the flexible exhaust hose and ran that to the window. Not classy but it kept my room at 65 while the rest of the guys were dying.

I put the A/C Unit on a table with a bucket underneath and ran clear flexible tubing from the drain to the bucket so I didn't have to empy the unit every 15 minutes.

Hope this helps.

and I can't find any instructions on how to retrofit a portable roll around unit to the window except for a ghetto setup using plexiglass.

Pretty much your only option.

My folks live in a home and all the windows are casement/crank. They are dying of heat and need an AC unit. The condo association I believe does not allow an AC unit to be hardwired in (gay).

Does anyone know of any portable air conditioning units that can be fitted/retrofitted for casement windows? I haven't seen any window mount units that are made specifically for casement windows, and I can't find any instructions on how to retrofit a portable roll around unit to the window except for a ghetto setup using plexiglass.

Any help appreciated. They are melting into tiny yellow Asian puddles of sweat.

PS: Yes I offered to buy them a new house with AC and they are stubborn unlike their #1 son who always is open to handouts.

My guess would be that the best solution would be to remove the movable part of the window from its frame (it should just be a few screws holding it in- see youtube for instructions), insert the a/c Unit that fits the horizontal dimension of the frame, and then custom retrofit a half window above the unit. Im guessing most local glass shops could handle the gig. Keep the old window so you can pop it back in if anybody bitches...

We had a similar set up in Hollywood....

Does she have attic space, or are there units above her?

How is it heated? Floor vents, central furnace, space heaters, etc?

If there is even a small gap above the ceiling drywall this is cake.

Does she have attic space, or are there units above her?

How is it heated? Floor vents, central furnace, space heaters, etc?

If there is even a small gap above the ceiling drywall this is cake.

It is a bungalow villa attached duplex. No units above, only one unit beside them sharing a single common wall. There is a basement. Heated by central furnace, forced air, floor vents. For sure there is an attic space, never checked it out.

there are standup a/c units on wheels that have a water catch bucket like a dehumidifier.. , plugs into the wall outlet 115v but they need to be vented out... you could cut either plywood or thick lexan to fit in place of the window and then the vent is maybe 6" round duct that you can vent thru what ever you put in place of the window..

It is a bungalow villa attached duplex. No units above, only one unit beside them sharing a single common wall. There is a basement. Heated by central furnace, forced air, floor vents. For sure there is an attic space, never checked it out.

Here is what I put together in a friends office that had constant A/C issues during the summer. This office had a dropped ceiling so it was really easy to cut out the tile, but even drywall should be a snap.

One thing, since you'll probably be running the vent over a greater distance than the length of the stock tube, it's a good idea to get an adapter and buy some ducting in the next size up. This one had a 5" discharge so I stepped it up to a 6" and it works great. The ducting, roof flange, and 5-6" adapter amounted to about $25 and 30 minutes of fiddling with it.

If it's humid you'll have to empty the water tray on a regular basis, other than that they work pretty well.

As far as sizing, 12,000 btu = 1ton of cooling capacity.

2012_07_27_07.46.18.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

there are window units made for casement windows. Also you can take a piece of sheet steel or plexi glass and fir where the screen on the window goes and then duct a free standing A/C unit through a hole you create. I didi this in Alaska with a piece of plexi and a piece of flashing (steel or AL) worked wonders and was cheap, easy, and easily installed and removed!

there are window units made for casement windows. Also you can take a piece of sheet steel or plexi glass and fir where the screen on the window goes and then duct a free standing A/C unit through a hole you create. I didi this in Alaska with a piece of plexi and a piece of flashing (steel or AL) worked wonders and was cheap, easy, and easily installed and removed!

Got a pic of a casement window unit?

Here is one from home depot. They do come in different sizes i.e width and height.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-20...p;storeId=10051

Here is a better list 6 different models. depending onhow the window opens i.e where the hing is will depend on what will work. I had the same windows I believe you are describing and I used the method described above. But these will work with a little eblow grease.

http://www.ajmadison.com/b.php?Ntt=casement+air+conditioner

are you familiar with ductless heating and cooling. Their is a unit mounted to the wall inside the house, and small A/C condenser unit outside the house.